HybridZ

More new heads for the L Series

Has anybody else seen this video yet?  It's JMC announcing more new cylinder heads for the L series. The FIA/Safari head a twin cam head, s20 head and another L series head. what do you guys think?

I wish they did a LY head, with modern chambers and ports

Edited by MONZTER
Typo

He's saying although we are launching a DOHC head in 2024 we readily admit it will be pale in comparison the mighty KN20 from Datsunworks. :)   At least that's what I'm hearing.

• Haha 4

I'll be curious to see how these new projects pan out for them. I know the S30 market in Japan has gotten to be American-Mustang levels of insanity, with six figures being the norm for what a clean restoration can go for. But where does "purity" end with those builders and buyers? Is it perfectly fine to do a twin cam head when it's 4x the cost? Will they see any return on value for that? Will commissioning customers be interesting and foot the bill? Will they sell enough to be worth while?

I have a feeling they won't come close to approaching the value Derek has, but I also wonder how many potential buyers there would be if someone like JCM just simply imported castings and finished them.

Either way, more product options on the market are generally good, and tend to help the community as a whole. So, yay!

Edited by Gollum

I chat with the JMS owner all the time, I will just say that a LY isn't off his list to do potentially.  I am curious on what his from scratch DOHC head will look like. 

I tried to talk him into a cost effective DOHC head, but I don't think that is their plan.  

Edited by DuffyMahoney

4 hours ago, DuffyMahoney said:

I tried to talk him into a cost effective DOHC head, but I don't think that is their plan.

The most economical way forward in my opinion would be a custom casting that utilized RB components with custom timing sprockets. But even then you would have to put up a pretty large amount of cash. 

Even if 100 people commited to purchase, its still tiny small numbers vs an OEM production.  Its got to be done out of passion and at least not to lose money.

This is why this is such a huge acomplisment for someone like Derek, We are fortunate the passion runs deep.  I cant imagine the hours of "un-billed" time

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MONZTER said:

I cant imagine the hours of "un-billed" time

Don't tell my wife :)

Like I tell other people. some like to fish, some like to bowl, I like to make.

• Like 5