HybridZ

Riciest Z Car

silicone boy

Ok, this is a sensitive issue. I have always viewed the Z car as the original rice car. I mean, it is Japanese. Also, wasn't it the car that popularized add-on spoilers and air dams? To top it all off, the Z and its cousin the RX-7 popularized the second worst rice-a-roni accessory of all time, the rear window louver. Yuck. (the worst accessory of all time in my opinion is neon lighting). I challenge the members of this board to describe or provide pictures of the riciest Z car on the planet. Oh, you don't have to admit it's yours either. We ought to send the winner to the Monster Garage to have it made back into a normal car. Now that would be their biggest challenge yet!

Oh man are you in for a flaming! Calling the Z a ricer is just plain crazy on a Z/ZX forum! :shock::shock::bonk:

In my mind a ricer is a car with all show and no go. These Honda Civics and Dodge Neons(not the new turbo Neon) running around with wings and neon lights underneath the car are just plain stupid. Why draw attention to your car if it's slow? Then us Z/ZX car guys are just going to pick on(race you) you for drawing attention to yourself! LOL I personally can't wait to pick on all the local ricers when my car is done(and all the local Camaros and Corvettes! :twisted: ) I just like picking on the guys that think there car is all that when really all they have is a "pulley" and a "chip" :roll: I hate that when someone says "yeah I'm pushing 400+HP" (Camaro guys) and then I ask them what they have done with their car..."well I put in a stage 2 chip/computer tuning, power pulley, cold air system, and low temp thermostat" that's when I say "yeah so you think your going to add 100HP+ with those mods?" :roll::twak::roll: This is what I call "domestic rice" It doesn't always have to be the Imports that are ricers! :D

Guy

You know, the whole concept of "rice" was started by the Riceboy website that apparently no longer exists. The use of the term has gotten out of hand and now it is used for everything Japanese or Asian. Pathetic.

The term "Riceboy" was used to ascribe meaning to someone who uses stickers and gaudy "aerodynamic" parts on their cars to have them appear to be some sort of race cars, but they still don't have the punch where it counts. In other words, it is more of a poseur thing then anything else and even dips into extreme tastelessness. Just because a Z or even a Honda is lowered, has tuner wheels, and has a MOMO steering wheel does not mean it is anything related to being "rice." Now, add a fart pipe, a slew of big stickers, neon lights, etc, and you just might get there...

Davy

Time Out Boob Boy... :D Did we forget CURB FEELERS???? Neon Lights are oh maybe 20 rungs down the ladder on those in my opinion when it comes to full on TACK-E!

And uyou obviously NEVER owned a Toyota Celica... Now THOSE cars had some stupid options in the aftermarket... You could get all kinds of stupid looking crap for a 73 Celica ST, and don't ask how I know...

YUCK!

But I digress... Yes, there is at least one FULL OUT riced up Z running around my town and it has garnered the nickname Mosquito Killer! I guess it boils down to what we each consider "Nice"! Kinda like boobs and plastic surgery, Ya know? I mean, when are they really "Too BIG"? Me, I like a nice set of 34B-C range, yet someone else might not be happy unless he has a set of 44 Double Ds parked in the seat next to him.

But we were talking about rice... Sorry! :-D

Mike :D

Mike, I won't tell if you don't :).

I was reading CarCraft lately. The issue dealt with them eating crow by saying for years the PRO STREET is dead. The showed the new Pro Street that is less glitter and glitz, and more about actually having the cars that look like fast drag cars BEING FAST.

They also pointed out that the original (80s) Pro Street and the Ricer scene has ALOT in common - wings, wild paint, etc. etc. that doesn't do anything for performance.

Mike, I liked the early 70s Celicas - fun little car, and didn't look to bad either - stock :). My sisters had a 72 as their first car (twins). I taught them how to drive in it (it was a stick too) and really came to appreciate the light, nimble handling. Power wasn't too bad either.

Z car - Japanese, but not necessarily rice either!

Are all lexus's, Infiniti's, Acura's rice too?

Rice and japanese origin are not necessary conditions for the other.

I've seen plenty of japanese cars that aren't Rice.

I've seen plenty of Rice'd cars that aren't japanese.

Well the air dams, and rear wings helped the Z car, so I wouldn't say that constitutes rice.

As for ricey things, I got to give you credit Mike, curb feelers rate right up there. My personal favorite though is those crown things. I mean do you think it means you are royalty by putting one of those in your beater car?

And here is something else, don't put Japanese writing on your american car, that is really stupid, and it SUCKS. :lol:

I think I need to build a really fast car, and then rice it out so people will think it is slow, and then spank that a$$. 8)

I live in Texas and drive my Z almost daily. The rear window louvers are the best invention EVER. Only way to keep the sun from absolutely destroying the inside of the car. And the only way you can go grocery shopping without having everything melt before you get home! AND in no way does it interfere with the operation of the rear defogger. IMO, everything called "Ricey" has no function. Giant wings on front drivers, clear taillight lenses, underbody neon, 4" exhaust tip with 1 1/2" inlet. Louvers don't fit that at all, but I will agree the cars look cleaner without, but function makes up for all that!

I live in Texas and drive my Z almost daily. The rear window louvers are the best invention EVER. Only way to keep the sun from absolutely destroying the inside of the car. And the only way you can go grocery shopping without having everything melt before you get home! AND in no way does it interfere with the operation of the rear defogger. IMO, everything called "Ricey" has no function. Giant wings on front drivers, clear taillight lenses, underbody neon, 4" exhaust tip with 1 1/2" inlet. Louvers don't fit that at all, but I will agree the cars look cleaner without, but function makes up for all that!

Agreed. I think "rice" is the appearance/image of speed. Examples being big wings, big exhaust tips, tons of stickers, bad/excessive lowering, fake rollcages, fake intercoolers/blow-off valves. Some tacky stuff most will call rice as well, like neon, clear lights, "spinner" wheels, but I'm not sure it totally fits my definition...

Here is something ugly, get ready to close your eyes...

DSCN0390.JPG

OOPS, looks like I stirred up a hornets nest. I take it back, I don't think Z's are inherently rice cars. What I really mean I guess is that it may have started up the rice accessory industry. I mean, most of those people in the 70's who bought spoilers and air dams and window louvers for Z's were doing it for the same purpose as today's honduh bench racers. Sure, there were a few nuts like on this board who realize that a Z is unstable at 120 without a functional air dam, but most people put them on for looks.

Now that I stand corrected, I have to mention my favorite accessory of all time, silicone implants. It's not just because I make my living off of them, it's also because I think they really do add to aerodyanmics, appearance, and possibly performance. I don't reccomend putting stickers on them to make them look better, and as they say, there's no replacement for displacement. By the way, I'm sure someone will ask, so I'll nip it in the bud. There is no way I can show examples of my favorite accessories, but I assure you all that they are a lot prettier than the picture above. :lol:

While I'm on the subject of "headlights" as accessories, I have to add another Z product to my list of most hated add-on devices. Those plastic headlight covers are super ugly. I mean, I know they are functional and improve what is otherwise as aerodynamic as a coffee can, but they are kinda tacky. I'm going to look up in the body forun for any improvements that can be made to the headlights (seems like I can't get away from my work even when I'm working on my hobby!)

Guest 240hybrid

When it comes to power and aerodynamics its "function over form"... IMO I dont think that the headlight covers look all that tacky. Hell their clear, and some people dont notice them till their standing near the a car with them. I'll agree with everyone else on the definition of a ricer as being "all show and no go",and when some wannabe thug/racer gives you a scheisster look when a real car (Z!) pulls up next to them and doesnt realize hes about to get spanked and should've invested his $ into something worth while. Oh yeah, dont put blue and red hose+wire covers all over you engine bay that doesnt coincide with the color of the rest of your car. Now thats tacky. Just my $0.02

Chase

So let me get this clear: "Rice" constitutes things that don't make the car go faster, be safer, or be easier to live with. Right? Except of course fancy paint jobs. And of course aluminum wheels. And chromy stuff under the hood. And replacement steering wheels. And powerful audio systems, and, well, possibly there are a couple of other things...

C'mon guys, the rice thing is about taste, no more and no less. One mans "dress up items" are another mans "bunch of crap". Utility has very little to do with it. If I add up the costs of all the non-performance items on my Z, I could have afforded a damned nice set of stickers, neon lights, and a truly giant fart-pipe for my Civic (and, well, maybe a whole bunch more stuff too).

And also, let's be honest here: virtually all of the high-performance modifications we at HybridZ make to our cars only truly come into their own when we're breaking the law and endangering the public.

For instance: I have Z-rated tires on my car. "Z-rated" means approved for speeds roughly *double* the maximum speed limit in California, and most other states. I have *no* reason to *ever* drive that fast, under any circumstances, on any public street, anywhere, any time. Doing so would qualify me as an irresponsible jerk, and if anything should go wrong at those speeds, I would be remembered as either "suicidal" or "a murderer". Nevertheless, I bought the tires and had them installed, knowing full well I wouldn't use even a fraction of their capability - why? Because it's good to know that if the aliens attack I can zoom up to the mountains really really fast? No, because it's *cool* to have the capability.

*My* sense of "beauty" has to do with power kept in check, in having control over something that's inherently difficult to control, in being able to do something even though I generally choose not to do it.

Beauty to me also has to do with creating, with my own hands and sweat and thought, something nice from something ugly - like restoring a rusting piece of crap into an attractive, utilitarian, and even *artistic* expression. For others, it's something different - a brand new Lexus, tall tires on a 4X4, or stickers and a fart-pipe. It's all the same juice, just oozing out a different orifice.

I think the thing to remember is, they're car-hounds, too. And *that*, to me, is the bottom line.

My opinion of ricers is based on there attitude. A true ricer is the one who brags about how much better fwd imports are over rwd domestics.

They are the type who look at the Fast and the Furious as "the best movie ever".

I don`t have a problem with these guys working on and building imports or fwd`s. More power to`em :wink: . I just thenk they need to be realistic whem argueing the capabilities of their cars.

Hell, when I was in high school i drove a 74 super beetle. The car was relatively quick(for a VW), but I never would have claimed that the stripes and window tint made my car faster than the challengers,camaros,and chevelles that others were driving.

Most of the people I consider to be ricers are followers, and only do things to there cars to be like others. They buy civics and the like because everyone else drives them.

I bought my 280z because I remembered one from when I was a kid and always liked the body style. Not because someone else drove one. In fact the 240 that I remember was totaly stock. I never even seen the car on the road. it always sat parked in front of a garage down the street and was so rusty that it wasn`t even safe to drive(it was less than 10yrs old)

When I decided to put a V8 in it, I had never even seen or heard of anyone doing this. I just wanted it to be unique.

I now know that the hybridz concept is not unique at all, but I plan to make my car as unique as possible, FOR ME :wink:

Guest silverbullet
To top it all off, the Z and its cousin the RX-7 popularized the second worst rice-a-roni accessory of all time, the rear window louver. Yuck

HEY! I like my r/w louver, I think it is functional AND looks good. BTW Mikelly- mid C not to perky kind of sagging just a little :D

strotter, I'm not sure if you're playing devil's advocate or not...

Z rated tires ARE functional at lower speeds. Sidewall stiffness. And it's about the only way to get the construction and compounds needed for good handling, even at lower speeds.

Aftermarket steering wheels are also functional.

Louvers are functional - they were a good way to keep the interior from getting too hot.

Aluminum wheels? What's wrong with not having skinny steel wheels with goofy 240Z hub caps. Just about everyone you ask (except those purists) think those steel wheels and hubcaps are hideous. Want width (for perfomance) and light weight without resorting to a lightweight steel racing wheel? Alumimun it is.

Chromy stuff under the hood? Hmm. There were guys doing that back in the 30s and 40s.

Powerful Audio? That's 20+ years old, before RICER was even a word.

And I agree - it's about taste. I also agree it's also about doing something the INDIVIDUAL thinks is a good move, and not being aonther of the typical sheople that the van craze, pro street and now rice are overflowing with.

"oozing out of a different orifice" Yeah, I agree with that statement!

Yeah, ricers (pro streeters, van-ners) are generally car people - they are into modifying their cars.

But they have no individuality. Because if they do something new, it gets copied a million times in the next month.

They are in a different class of car hound. They are followers, and are into fads.

That's why I like the street rod crowd. They are inventive and individualistic.

I wouldn't put a colored wire loom on any car I own, or a 5" tip, or a set of spinner wheels, or a CF unpainted hood, etc. Because I don't follow fads. I despise them and always have. They are for sheople.

JMO.

Pete, To add further to your comment on the tires... Temp and wear ratings are critical as well when selecting decent tires for ANY car. So yea, you can buy rubber bands that are hard as a rock and will give thousands of miles, but will you have traction? Not likely...

Denny, I'd argue that there are fewer V8Zs in the country than you would ever need to worry about. Sure there are lots of projects out there, but to few actually running on the streets to be concerned with getting caught at the same event with! :-D

"Sheople"... I've been using that term a LOT lately...

"Lead, Follow, or get out of the way, But Don't critisize me because I decide on a path less conventional!"

mjk 2003

Mike :D