HybridZ

Anybody ever ask you what your car is?

80LS1T

Today at work I was showing some of the guys some pictures of my project. I work at a Dodge dealer as a mechanic. So I figure most of these guys will know what kind of car I have.......one of the three that I showed did know what it was though! But one guy asked me if it was an early Trams AM??? :shock::twak::bonk: An early Trans AM? What the heck is that? I mean calling it a Jaguar is one thing but a Trans AM? I have no idea how he could see it as a Trans AM? Don't get me wrong I like the early Trans AM's but they dont look like a 280ZX thats for sure! I just kind of laughed and told him what it was.

Now everyone is really anxious to see it and get a ride in it! I sure do love it when people ask me for a ride even before the car is driveable! LOL :D It's getting close though. I just installed my throttle cable tonight. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I think I have full travel of the pedal but I will need a helper to see for sure. Now I have to come up with some kind of intake system and attach my knock sensor connectors to the harness so that I can connect the knock sensors. Hopefully within the next 2 weeks it will be driveable!!!!

GUy :D

I had a girl keep talking to me about my "Z28." I had to correct her after about 5 times, "it's 280Z." :D

Lately, I've been getting, "your car is cute, who makes them?"

"it's written all over the car, "Datsun" !!" :roll: I should start telling people that it's an exotic from Europe

Guest silverbullet

I hear "your car is cute" all the time from women and I allways let them know it is NOT CUTE but a classic sports car, I also get many queries from younger people as to what kind of car it is, the last time was just a few weeks ago at the Taco Bell drive through the guy asked me if it was an RX7 :lol:

"Nice car", "your car is cute","is that an RX-7?", "what the hell is that?", and the look and head nod thing are pretty much what I get around here, but for the first time ever a very old lady came up to me (she was a fossil) and said, "Is that your white Datsun?", I was taken back because she knew who made it, BUT she went and said, "it's adorable." ... adorable?... I wanted to say, "lady, it's not a fricken kitten". Adorable... *huff*....

!M!

Guest greimann

From the younger crowd I get, " What kind of car is that"?

It's a Datsun.

"A what"?

Nissan.

"Oh"

From the older crowd I get, " What year is your Datsun"?

'79

"Wow, that looks good for a '79"!

Thanks!

From the clueless I get, " Is that a Porsche"?

Yea! It's Porsche 280ZX

The first time I drove my car to work, the early-arriving car-hounds clustered around the car instantly. One of them (an Asian kid, who was quite into cars) looked at it and said "Well, I don't go for American cars that much." I was dumbfounded, this was before I even popped the hood. I said "It's a Datsun!", to which he replied "Yeah? So?" "Well, uh, it's a Nissan! Datsun changed its name to Nissan back in the 80's!" at which point he got interested. Later on, I was teasing him about his lack of car knowledge, and he told me "Look Mr. Trotter, that car was built, what, like about fifteen years before I was born." So, I spent the rest of the day feeling the aches in my back and my knees.

Well add fender flares and a Porsche 930 style whale tail and then guess what people will ask... "What Year is your Porsche????" I would open the hood and then they would say "What is this thing exactly?" "Must be some kinda concept car..."

Oh Geez... I had one guy ARGUE with me about the fact that I MADE the transformation... Guy was completely clueless!

Mike :D

I get the "nice Porsche" reaction all the time to my '78 daily driver. I have never thought there was the slightest resemblence.

The '77 ZT with flared fenders, Kaminari wing, and slammed stance really befuddles most people.

Niether car has any badges with the exception of the "Z" b-pillar emblems.

Women like the '78 best. Think it's "cute".

You'd think the PS2 games with the 240Z would educate the young crowd a bit :)

I had a car (nice 7 series Bimmer with 3 people dressed for church ask about mine. They were sitting in their car parked next to mine for a few minutes (I was observing from the store I was in). They had no idea what it was. I said 73 Datsun 240Z with some modifications. They gave the car a bunch of compliments, smiled and pulled off.

The kids in the neighborhood just stare. They don't know. The kid down the street with the 5.0 mustang (loud exhaust, stroker) always looks when he drives by and the garage door is up- we haven't met yet. :)

A group of young guys (teens, early 20s) stopped next to me at a stop sign in a Honda and asked what it was. They had a puzzled look on their faces like they'd never heard of a Datsun 240Z. Compliments and smiles followed.

The one I like is the 2 youngs in the first gen BMW M3 (all the Motorsport stripes, wide tires, etc. - really sweet). They pull up next to me at a light. My 5 year old daughter was in the car and could barely see over the door. They asked, looked clueless about a Datsun 240Z. They asked about the noise from under the hood, etc. :) One said "listen to that thing! That thing sounds fast". (rumpity rumpity rump) The light turned green. I couldn't help myself. Lots of rpm and tiresmoke. They trundled off the line like the car was running on 1 cylinder. Priceless look on their faces when I looked back as I was leaving.

I've heard porsche a few times. Most people that don't know what it is and ask look confused when they year the answer. It's only 30 years old :)

Guest ON3GO

somebody asked me today what kind of car it is..

i said "1976 ford tempo"

the guy just looked at me and said "i heard those are rare"

all i did was say YUP and drove off.

hehe

mike

I get the "Porsche" comment quite often.

In fact the other day I was at another store and my wife drove up in my car. I heard the guy at the counter exclaim "Wow check out that Porsche or something"

What i don't like is when I hear "Nice RX-7"

Not sure why but, that one bugs me.

i get the porsche thing too i just explain that i wouldn't disgrace my car with that name on there :D At the last car show i was at i was the only nissan/datsun at the car show all muscle cars there and i got alot of younger kids checking it out cuz of the bright orange interior and out and they ask what kind of car is that and i say a datsun they look like umm ok and i say a nissan? they are like oh ya ok a 300zx then?I say no a 280 can't you read?I have all the orignal badging on the car so it's not like i'm lying.Also the paper they give you to put in the window says all the same stuff.But i did get alot of older guys coming up and saying nice datsun i use to have a 240 or a 260 or 280 depending on the people :D But then i got some jerks who say nothing and go right on by to the next muscle car with out even glancing at mine :evil: I have gotten the rx7 thing and corvette once, some people :roll: