HybridZ

280z MAF sensor?

I know pallnet was tweaking on this and (test) runnin It he is situated in the AL area, he is the guy that always seems to have every part you need ( í think i have one of those!)

hope this helps ( he is posting on zcar.com pretty often)

You are correct that the ECU does need modifications to get the higher Hp out of it. But, HACKING, I dont think so. That modification simply requires a resistor change to move the trip point of a differential amplifier in the ECU. The stock MAF requires a 2.2 vlot signal to the diff amp to operate. When the Ford MAF is used those parameters are changed so that the circuit will operate correctly. Then to get a higher voltage for metering 5.59 volts the resistors are again changed to get the additional metering.

This is not HACKING, it is modifying the circuit to accomidate a different set of operating parameters.

In electroniccs this is frequently done for various reasons, and it is all based on theory, not seat of the pants modifications, big difference there.

So anyway, HACKING sounds so amature and little knowledge based I just could not let this one go JWT does not hack the ECU, they simply modify thr exsisting circuits to acheive more of the same operations. :D

• 2 months later...
any update? I'd like to hear more about this, AFM is a PITA

Depends on what you want to do. If you can handle wiring, do a factory Z31 ECU and MAF swap, I'm having tremendous luck with mine. I even am running strong and efficiently with 370cc injectors (40% larger than stock) - I just passed the CO emissions test without an adjustment.

I haven't heard the latest on doing a straight MAF to AFM conversion. I know someone (pallnet?) was making a map circuit to convert it to the factory 280XT ECU...

Depends on what you want to do. If you can handle wiring, do a factory Z31 ECU and MAF swap, I'm having tremendous luck with mine. I even am running strong and efficiently with 370cc injectors (40% larger than stock) - I just passed the CO emissions test without an adjustment.

That is impressive!! I chose to reprogram the rom. Easily done, but you need to have the equipment to do it. I'm also running 370cc injectors but will be moving up 450's next summer along with a better intercooler/turbo setup.

Bernard

Whenever MAF is discussed with respect to the 280, the topic always deals with the Turbo. Why not the naturally aspirated High Performance 280Z. Any restriction on the intake side is a negative, which is why there so many MAF sizes/options for the 5.0 Ford. I would like to see something, which allows a MAF to be used with the stock Fuel Injection on a Modified 280Z NA.

ecp48

Nathan,

Thanks for the response. A couple of questions.

Do all Z31s use a MAF, for some reason I was thinking only the turbos had a MAF.

When using the Z31 MAF and ECU, does it require the addition of an O2 Sensor on the 280 (78 280Z)?

Will the Turbo Injectors provide too much fuel or will the ECU adjust for it?

I know my conversion, F54 Short block with shaved P90 head (.080) (pocket ported), Cam and Headers will be on the lean side, but would the turbo injectors be overkill?

Has anyone done a schematic or "how to" on this conversion?

Your help is much appreciated.

Ed Palmer

• 3 months later...
Nathan' date='

Thanks for the response. A couple of questions.

Do all Z31s use a MAF, for some reason I was thinking only the turbos had a MAF.

When using the Z31 MAF and ECU, does it require the addition of an O2 Sensor on the 280 (78 280Z)?

Will the Turbo Injectors provide too much fuel or will the ECU adjust for it?

I know my conversion, F54 Short block with shaved P90 head (.080) (pocket ported), Cam and Headers will be on the lean side, but would the turbo injectors be overkill?

Has anyone done a schematic or "how to" on this conversion?

Your help is much appreciated.

Ed Palmer[/quote']

Wow, I sure missed responding to this one :bonk:

All Z31s use a MAF; as a matter of fact, all Z31 MAFs are the same, turbo or non.

An O2 sensor is not required, but if you want the car to run nicely, just add one to your exhaust.

The Z31 ECU is designed for the 259cc injectors, both n/a and turbo, there is no hacking or monkeying required to get it to run on any L28. It simply measures air flowing into the engine and meters fuel to burn.

There are wiring diagrams in the service manuals that can be used to make a conversion. As far as I know, there is no cookbook recipe or "how-to", as to date, all conversions vary depending on ECU used, car and engine converted, and skill/thoroughness of the convertor.

Sorry about the late response.

Doesn't the z31 use a proper tps? Or is it a switch type like the 280z/zx system? I would assume the z31 ecu needs the proper signal from all it's sensors to meter fuel...so you'd need the z31 harness and all sensors for it to work properly.. Just out of curiosity, has anyone done this to a 280z? If so, got any write up/instruction on it?

If I can't get a 300zx ECU for the right price, I would be interested in knowing how to hook up the 300zx MAF to the stnd 280zx ECU.

If I had a 280ZX ecu pinout, and a stnd AFM I would prolly suss it out. Unfortunately I have neither. Does anyone have an ECU pinout and recordings of the AFM outputreadings etc

Cheers

Guest smoov280zx

Wouldn't the 300zx ECU be trying to meter fuel to a 3.0 instead of a 2.8, making the mixture too rich at any point? Or does the 300zx ECU have enough flexability to change the fuel that much based on the O2 sensor's input? And would you have to change ignition to the 300zx unit also, assuming it uses CAS, I like my new 1980 dizzy just fine, all the 1983 dizzy ever did was make my car slower.

Mitch

The 280ZX ECU is not set up for MAF, only the 300's are.

I realize this, but the ECU doesnt know weather it has an door-flap AFM or a hot-wire MAF, all it sees is voltages and resistence.

Im not sure exaxtly what sort of outputs the MAF has, nor the 280zx AFM, but it may be possible to run the MAF on the 280zx ECU with slight modifications....who knows.

Wouldn't the 300zx ECU be trying to meter fuel to a 3.0 instead of a 2.8' date=' making the mixture too rich at any point? Or does the 300zx ECU have enough flexability to change the fuel that much based on the O2 sensor's input? And would you have to change ignition to the 300zx unit also, assuming it uses CAS, I like my new 1980 dizzy just fine, all the 1983 dizzy ever did was make my car slower.

Mitch[/quote']

No, the Z31 ECU meters fuel to the air coming in the motor. Because it is designed for a 3.0 means it has a greater potential to make power in a 2.8 liter.