HybridZ

How to install Z32 taillights in a S30 (a pictorial)

Dan Juday

I know most of you guys have given up waiting for me to post some more pics. Well for the patient I have a reward.

Several people lately have been badgering me to explain how I got those taillights in my car. So I have bowed to the pressure and have gathered a few process pics to help explain how it all went together.

First off I need to tell you that I am not a body man. Like Clint Eastwood said,"A man's got to know his limitations".

Enough yappin', you're already looking at the pics anyway. :roll:

This first one was taken by Eric Neyerlin of Zparts.com and shows the rearend stripped but mostly unmolested.

t5.jpg

This was the most critical part of the process, fitting the lights in the right place and at the right angle. I cut the metal out of the rear quarters of two different Z32's to have something to weld into my car that the taillights would bolt up to.

t4.jpg

The string is the low tech version of Terry's laser level.

t3.jpg

Then it was off to the body shop to have a new rearend formed around the taillights and the exhaust (all in steel). They fitted and bonded my fiberglass fenders from Reaction Research and blended the airdam, headlight buckets, and front fenders together. They also covered a few holes and removed the crease lines that runs through the doors.

t2.jpg

A shot of the artist at work.

bs1.w.jpg

In primer almost the finished shape.

t1.jpg

And the finished product. I need to order new rubber for my hatch and rear glass. Anybody selling some in new or like new condition?

f1.jpg

A shot from another angle so you can see the shape.

f2.jpg

Hope you enjoyed! Come see it in person at the Rio Vista show in April or MSA three weeks later.

Dan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan,

Thanks for the pics!! Do you share the thought that copying ones design is the highest form of flattery? I predict there will someday be at least a couple people that will attempt to recreate the beautiful car you have created. Can't wait to see it in person!!! Anybody know the best place to shop for plane tickets? I will be at the MSA show!!

Rufus

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Terry, it's Viper Blue. I don't know the code but it's the only blue they use on the Viper. Have you decided on a color yet? How about a nice deep burgandy?

No more pics till I get the last of the glass in. I got the mirrors mounted and I'd love to show you some shots of them but it just looks goofy without a windshield. And then there are the front marker lights and the hood vent scoops... It's just not quite ready for prime time yet.

No more pics till I get the last of the glass in. I got the mirrors mounted and I'd love to show you some shots of them but it just looks goofy without a windshield. And then there are the front marker lights and the hood vent scoops... It's just not quite ready for prime time yet.

I can respect that, can't wait to see 'em.

How about some pics of the rest of it?

Dan is like anyone with a beautiful body. They just expose a little at a time to keep up the excitement. Maybe he just needs someone to slip a twenty in his garter!

Looks real fine there Dan. I’m with the rest… can’t wait until the glass is in.

How about some pics of the rest of it?

Dan is like anyone with a beautiful body. They just expose a little at a time to keep up the excitement. Maybe he just needs someone to slip a twenty in his garter!

Looks real fine there Dan. I’m with the rest… can’t wait until the glass is in.

I don't have my bank card, can I write you a cheque?

Hey Dan, car looks great ! I do have a question for you, just out of curiosity. I noticed this a while back, and now that I have mine in hand and know for sure, I have to ask. Are the slight lips over the rear wheel arches a custom touch ? I have not seen them on any other YZ quarters, they look almost like the stock wheel arch lip....

Jason