HybridZ

How should I reinforce the rear?

zeeboost

I would really like to shave the rear bumper on my zx to give it a cleaner look, much like this:

shaved_bumper_zx.jpg

The only thing is that I don't want some jackass demoloshing my rear because he can't hit the brakes quick enough. Is there any way that I could weld some reinforcements behind the rear piece of metal (pretty much a hidden bumper) instead of having the big bulky bumper sticking out? I've seen many z's with a shaved rear and I think they look great, but I don't know if they did anything else to help support the rear of the car in case of a collision.

I searched around but I couldn't find anything related to this topic. I was debating between posting here or the chassis forum, so I apologize if this should've been posted there. Thanks for any help.

Its a long held secret which I must now reveal.

How do you keep a 240z bumpers and panels free of small dings and damage?

How do you avoid dings in general?

How do you keep that great flush bodied rear panel straight and safe?

DONT CRASH!!!!!!! :D

No, really, thats my secret.

Guest Phil1934

Pennsylavania requires bumpers, but most street rods don't run them. I saw a solution they accepted where the owner welded a length of 1-3/4" tubing to two legs attached to the frame and positioned it one inch behind the sheetmetal. It won't save the sheetmetal but will prevent more serious damage.

That's the first ZX if seen without a rear bumper, and it looks great. One thing to remember if you were to find an acceptable way to reinforce the back of the car is, what happens to the rest of the car if the back does not "give" in a collision. I thought about doing the same thing at one time, but decided that in a limited range of collision speed, a dinged up rear panel will be a lot easier to fix than a straight panel that is behind two buckled quarterpanels that were bent because the rear panel didn't give any. That's why they had shocks on the bumpers

Guest 240hybrid

Aren't there smaller bumpers (made of heavy duty fiberglass from the looks of them) underneath the exterior bumper that takes most of the shock/impact? At least this is what I have seen on almost ever car from mid 80s up, when they pull the exterior/cosmetic bumper off. Maybe if there are shock absorbers like the 280z has, you can bleed them out and push it in more and get it back far enought that it will clear. Or reposition the mounts further back?? I could be out of my mind though?

Chase

Aren't there smaller bumpers (made of heavy duty fiberglass from the looks of them) underneath the exterior bumper that takes most of the shock/impact?

Most everything I have seen in newer cars is bumper shocks / sheet metal bumper / Styrofoam / urethane bumper cover.... I bet the Styrofoam does a lot more than you think !

Jason

One thing to remember if you were to find an acceptable way to reinforce the back of the car is, what happens to the rest of the car if the back does not "give" in a collision. I thought about doing the same thing at one time, but decided that in a limited range of collision speed, a dinged up rear panel will be a lot easier to fix than a straight panel that is behind two buckled quarterpanels that were bent because the rear panel didn't give any.

That's what I was thinking about. I guess my safest bet would be just to leave the rear bumper on. I guess I'll check it and see if I can push it in after I bleed the rear shocks. I have the MSA II fiberglass rear bumper, so maybe if I can shorten it down to where it won't stick out so far it would be a happy-medium. Thanks for your replies. Oh, and 80 lt1, I'm at college right now, but when I return home I'll post up some more pictures of that zx since they're on my harddrive.

I've had the MSA Aero II kit on my car, and the current paint job for nearly 6 years now. There are no cracks i the fiberglass front or rear and only one small door ding on one side. I drive the car to work daily unless it' heavy inclement weather so I've been logging about 10,000 miles annually. It's all in how you drive it and where you park it.