HybridZ

24 Valve DOHC head almost done!

Where I help out, we flow jet 2124 alluminum all the time. for the parts that we weld. sometime the plate warps and they usually send it out to be cryo treated, if its an even warpage. they weigh the plate that needs to evened and heat the oven up to (I think it was) 700 degrees. and just set it to that longer than usual and then run to process at 400 degrees to -125 twice to bring the temper back to t351. Don't have first hand experience, just what I've been told while I've been helping out there.

ANd the phrase "even out the metallergy," was reworded in my second post. And how come when you responed to something I post, find some way of giving me the impression that I am being flamed? Just because you haven't heard of something being done a certain way doesn't mean its out of the question.

Where I help out' date=' we flow jet 2124 alluminum all the time. for the parts that we weld. sometime the plate warps and they usually send it out to be cryo treated, if its an even warpage. they weigh the plate that needs to evened and heat the oven up to (I think it was) 700 degrees. and just set it to that longer than usual and then run to process at 400 degrees to -125 twice to bring the temper back to t351. Don't have first hand experience, just what I've been told while I've been helping out there.

ANd the phrase "even out the metallergy," was reworded in my second post. And how come when you responed to something I post, find some way of giving me the impression that I am being flamed? Just because you haven't heard of something being done a certain way doesn't mean its out of the question.[/quote']

The process you described is not a cryogenic treatment. Cryogenic treatment takes an object to near the temperature of liquid nitrogen very slowly(1 day), stays at the temp for a long period(1 day), then return to room temp slowly (1 day). Why do you say it is hard to temper an object that is already formed? I am not flaming you, I am just questioning you because the stuff you said doesn't sound like a cryogenic process.

Well, techniacally if they're bringing down the temp slowly isn't that reffered to "nutralising"? At least that's what we call it in the blacksmith biz. There's two main factors in tempering. #1 Temperature brought to and #2 How fast you bring the tempurature down. As far as I knew letting the metal cool on it's own was as about as nurtal as you really ever needed.

At any rate I think AK-Z was just trying to suggest something that would help the metal have an even temper. I can see how this could effect things greatly. But I don't have a ton of headwork knoledge so i'm just here for the ride. So i'll just keep reading 8)

Oh yea, I knew that the whole epoxy thing was mentioned with the head in consideration and I didn't think it was a very bright idea but I just wanted to offer what I knew in the subject of super epoxies.

Why are you guys arguing about welding verses gluing the decision was made to weld it all of you that are talking about gluing it need to reread thread on the custom 24 head Its been talked about. Besides when was the last time that myself, 1fastz, or Mack have updated this thread with progress. That’s right there are two almost heads done out there and I don't think mine will ever get done it was a great effort but interest and time are fading. I'm sorry but maybe it not meant to be.

Jeez Turbo, I did'nt meant to insult you, it was an idea just like that.

Plus, you just said it yourself, you raised the white flag so, why does it bother you so much that somebody else pursue your present course?

I tought that maybe by gluing the passages and water jackets maybe with inserts inbetween and tigwelding the outside, it could work. Sorry again.

Well, this may soud untrue but, a friend of mine has been talking about starting a machine shop for awhile and he's also interested/taking classes in molding, he's into airplanes, they are desining a new prototype where he's working but he thinks that the machined parts are of poor quality and thinks he can do better, hence the machine shop. + one of his childhood friend's uncle just won asomething like 8millions at the loto and giving him a hand to start. Where I'm going with this is that I'm a mechanic and welder and been thinking about starting a buisness for awhile so, I'll be teaming up with him (why should he make only plane parts?)

Your projrct seems very interesting to me and I'v been dreaming about it since I' read about it a few years back so, if you don't mind, maybe I'll take a look into it as a "prooving are capabilities as a tuning shop" project.

I'm not making any promesses but if all goes well, when the time comes for a long term test, I'll send one your way, at least you'll be able to enjoy your idea.

Aren't most of the plane parts that would of been cased, CNC nowadays?

Yes but, I said that the guy want to open an machine shop AND he is INTERESTED/taking classes in molding, it's just that he likes building things + carbon fiber wings and fuselage parts (hoods and doors and hatches and...) need a mold.

Humm,why not an allu. tube framed floor system that would bolt to the rockers on both sides with an carbon/kevlar covering!!!??? HaHa.

Well, I kinda strayed from the original subject here did'nt I?

What I sould have realy said was, that we'll try to glue the parts of the heads together, maybe send it to EXTRUDEHONE, (they force an abrasive paste through a system like water passages, oil gallerys, int./ex. manifolds... to port and polish them.) to get everything smooth inside and then cast it. What do you think.

(Jeez, so many ideas, my head is gonna explode, if this works, WHY NOT AN L30DET WITH ALLUMINUM/IRON SLEVVED BLOCK? HAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

I'm loosin' it.)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...