HybridZ

24 Valve DOHC head almost done!

The "Goertz Paeco" was a serious search item. Albercht Goertz knows nothing on this head, and disavows anything to do with any developmental engine work for anything pertaining to the engine.

Paeco, the race engine builder in Birmingham Alabama, also disavows any knowledge of this head, saying something along the lines of "We never casted no heads before, that one surrrrre looks purdy!"

So both of those leads were dead ends. The only thing I know for sure was the seller at the Swap Meet bought the lump at an "estate sale" which means probably there was an engineer/draftsman living in Sandiego in the early 70's that had this built. Why the casting has "Goertz Paeco" on the rear is a mystery, and the buyer has gone back to find the swapmeet seller to no avail.

The blueprints are hand drafted, inked, and in english measurements. Unfortunately, the prints have neither a draftsmans' name, or company of production. It amazes me to think someone sat at a table and literally started from a blank sheet and made this much happen!

And yes, that's why the second group of photos was added, for the "question" that I will not dignify with a response. Something is to be said for actually reading the original post, and comprehending the words "unfinished". Contrary to popular belief, I now concede there is such a thing as a stupid question! :x

As for "Looking at the design, it is very similar to the Toyota 7MGTE out of the Supra" The 7MGTE is a derivation of the "G" heads that came before it, and the 2000GT {1M-G}(as well as it's four cylinder cousin the 67 1600GT {2T-G}) share similar Yamaha-Inspired Design Cues. I have some photos of a 2000GT engine on a stand from the Toyota Museum in Carson, but don't have them available on this computer----alas! Otherwise one could be shot up for comparison.

Yeah, I get into some interesting places, don't I? :D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone on this site ever compared head gaskets from L28/LD28 to Mercedes 2.8L dohc inline 6cyl. (vintage 1970's)? Similarities between Datsun and Mercedes inline engines are documented and archived and they are striking. I recently bought a Mercedes dohc inline 2.8 6 cyl. If it weren't for the front sump, I'd be working on putting it in a Zcar but I might have to settle on putting it in the Datsun 910 (diesel Maxima) when I pull that LD28/N42 hybrid gas engine to swap pans and put it in an early Zcar.

I'd be tempted to put the 2.8 6cyl in my '82 230CE (Euro model), but it's a great car as-is, with the 2.3 4 cyl, euro cam and c.r., etc. I just need to swap-in a 2.88 for the 2.24 so it will shift into 4th gear below 80mph (it's geared for Autobahn at present, i.e., 120 mph). DAW

holy crap! that is freaking sweet... when did you get the welding done? I'd be interesting in seeing how it was finally combined... and interested in seeing how much one would run :) Hahaha, I haven't even gotten my 240SX back together and I'm already getting price generalizations for an L28DET :icon52:

• 2 months later...

I would lile to know how you welded the internal channels and did you have a custom set of cams made for the modded 240sx head.

Also was the head tempered after the welding was done.

I wish that I had the patience and money to do the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

the head is not welded yet, and I am not sure if we are even going to weld it, or if we will just be using gaskets with press fit pins inbetween the halves (thirds, I guess) to keep them aligned.

As far as the cams, valve train and timing.....

well, you'd be surprised to learn how many stock or very slightly modified nissan parts are used in this head....

Unfortunately, I moved back to Minnesota this year, so work has been temporarily suspended on this project, but rest assured, I wil get back to phoenix to visit 1 fast Z some time very soon, during which, a marathon of mechanical engineering, modifiying and machining will take place and we will get this project DONE.

Mack.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...