HybridZ

Whats your opinion of a "race" car?

Guest VETTETEK

Guest VETTETEK

Last night, I went down to due my weekly photoshoot for the webpage update for my zcar project. (which hasnt been posted as of yet) I took a few friends down with that wanted to see the progress first hand. After all the ooh-ing and ahh-ing was finished, I got into a little debate about what EXACTLY a race car is.

He said that this car would be better on the track, and not to register it at all. Which I can see his point BUT....

On the way home, we got into the conversation again, and we also have a mutual friend that has a 96 camaro ss with a badass 383 lt1 and 6 speed. He made various mods to the suspension, as well as chassis connectors and so-on. I said when the Datsun is done, I want to line em up. He told me its like apples to oranges - meaning that the Camaro is a "street" vehicle, ,and ours is a "race" car.

I really dont see his point in that. We are using over the counter stuff with suspension (all stock c4 vette stuff), and the drivetrain is almost the same between the cars. He was saying that because we have a custom frame, rollcage, and fuel cell (all for saftey), that the car is now a race car. :roll:

I would like opinions on this. Not really so much on OUR project, but just in general:

WHEN DOES A CAR BECOME A RACE CAR FROM A STREET CAR?! :?

thanks for reading this rather long post. Sorry for the length.

~V

WHEN DOES A CAR BECOME A RACE CAR FROM A STREET CAR?!

When you race it! I'd like to make a more prophetic statement than that, but it's pretty straight forward. Here is Arkansas, I can get away with less "street" equipment than other states require, but I don't have a race car anymore, it's now a street car, but it's heart is still on the track.

If you autocrossed, road raced, or drag raced the '96 Camaro, would that make it a "race car?" By his definition, it would. Things have changed on the Camaro, yes? And it might do really well at the track, so it is a race car.

Sounds like your friend just likes making up nonsense.

Davy

its all about the octane rating. if it runs on 91 its a street car. if not, its a race car. :o) if it drives on the street, and you can fill it at chevron, its a street car.

When you stop driving your car on the street, usually because it is no longer street legal, or it can't sit at a stop light without overheating or can't negotiate speed bumps without getting stuck, or you always drive with one tire in the center of the lane because it sits so low the exhaust drags otherwise, it's a race car.

My 2 c.......if it cannot be registered for street driving, then it's a race car. If it is 'legal' (various aspects and degrees of that :D ) for the street, then it's a street car, but so many shades of grey before the black line that sometimes it's hard to say....

Tim

I agree with Tim and the others. if it can be legally registered and inspected to be driven on the street, then its a street car. but on another note, i would have to say that a full interior makes it a street car as well in "feel" if its a gutted dashless keyless pushbutton just tach and oil pressure machine, then its hardly a street car, even though it can "legally" be driven on the street.

am i making any sense? I need a nap.

:roll:

I'd like to Agree with Tim, but in my state, I can hang an antique tag on it and call it a street car... breathing methanol, plexi windows, and road race slicks...

To me, when it no longer had interior, has a fire system, full "CERTIFIED" cage, is gutted to the minimum rules (For a specific class) and is no longer livable on the street, I think it would be a Race Car...

Being a weekend racer you drive on the street for giggles and grins is strateling the fence, and won't make oyu competitive... Which brings another question... If it is a Hobyy, then fine, Build it to do eveythin OK. But is you are building a "RACE CAR" then you plan to race to...

W-I-N... Or atleast I would because I'm much to competitive. And in order to be competitive, you'd likely have to make the leap, and pull it off the road in order to gain the competitive edge, or atleast get to that level.

Mike 8)

Guest Your Car is Slow

People generally only bring out the label of "race car" when they fear getting beat.

Personally...I dont care if its a go kart, or a cruise missle lining up next to me...If I think I can beat it...you wont hear any excuses coming out of my mouth. :)

However to answer your question....if it can line up next to me on the street legally..its a street car.

Guest VETTETEK

I wanted to thank everyone for thier input on this subject. So from general concensis, I would assume then our car could be considered a strret car. Being as it will have all the necessary "legal" equiptment, as well as a full cage (yes it will be certified, just in case :wink: ), 5 points, full dash, ect.

Now I can sleep tonight! LOL :D:P

Thanks again everyone!

~V

Guest Z-rific

I think "purpose" is the main determination.

Are you building it to race? or are you building it to drive on the street?

I think a race car is purposely built to race at tracks, be it road coarses or drag strips or purely to make money on Friday nights just outside of town.

99% of us have very fast street cars.