HybridZ

Wanted: Steering Wheel Advice

Okay, so at last I am going to buy a steering wheel. I hate the stocker - too large and too thin and just not fun to use.

Any recommendations? Can I get a decent one, with hub and all, for less than $75? Money beyond that will start eating into my seat budget. I'm thinking that the 13" would be about the right size. These 12" ones - I've never held one, but that just seems too small.

I'm considering the kind with the flattened bottoms for ease of entry/egress from this tiny car. Anyone have experience, good or bad, with that "D" shaper type?

Any particular brands to look for, or look out for?

Thanks.

These 12" ones - I've never held one, but that just seems too small.

Yeah, that's what she told me last night :twisted:

I used a Grant GT Rally p# 760 in my Datsun, really nice, though not leather.

Thure

• 1 year later...

I have a Momo "Fighter" (leather) steering wheel and love it. All the materials are high quality but the price with adapter is high too, about $250 if I remember right. It is 13.75 (memory again) and round. I did not want the D shaped because I let the wheel slide through my hands when I am exiting a tight turn on the Autox course, the D shape would interfere with that. If it was for the street only I would go for the D to ease getting in and out of the car. There is a wood version of the wheel too, it looks great but is $100 more.

Besides the Horn Button' date=' and wheel adapter kit, is there anything else to get

or anything funky about the install?[/quote']

Not at all. If you have the adapter--look at ebay for the steering wheel and the adapters--you should be good to go. The horn button should come with your new wheel, but if not, ebay is great. I installed the Momo 'Fighter' or 'Race' (not sure which it was!) and the install was very simple. Getting the old steering wheel off can be a chore and you might need a puller...

Davy

Guest KEINoze

MSA was out of everything Momo the last time I checked. I was at the shop to buy one, but they were out of everything--even the adapter!

I would just go to the Momo website to see all their different styles. You can find a dealer online and order from them.

I personally like the feel of their suede leather racing wheels. If you have gloves, it's super sticky!

Like Joey said, don't skimp on the steering wheel. It's one of the few things you actually touch while you drive!

I got lucky, I was in Italy on vacation and was walking past a tire shop. They had a nice 13" Momo steering wheel in the window of the store. I walked in to see if they had more. They didn't even sell steering wheels! It was just there for display, covered with dust. I offered them 100,000 Lira for it which was about $90 at the time and they dusted it off and gave it to me. I like the size of it. Perfect. I made my own adapter...not easy, with the splines and the electrical slide ring for the horn.

8779A8-med.jpg

I got lucky, I was in Italy on vacation and was walking past a tire shop. They had a nice 13" Momo steering wheel in the window of the store. I walked in to see if they had more. They didn't even sell steering wheels! It was just there for display, covered with dust. I offered them 100,000 Lira for it which was about $90 at the time and they dusted it off and gave it to me. I like the size of it. Perfect.

Nice find!! I love those kinds of stories!!

I had the Momo Air Leather on my car and loved it. Sold it recently for $175 including the adapter.

Dash.jpg

Unfortunately they don't seem to sell a full air leather steering wheel anymore (although the Competition is close) so I regret selling it.

I had the Momo Air Leather on my car and loved it. Sold it recently for $175 including the adapter.

That's about what I paid for a new (installed only once!) Fighter (?) wheel and adapter. I did a ravenous search on ebay before making a commitment on the one I bought. I swear, ebay had the next best deal and all the adapters and quick release hubs one could want! Just look for some deals...

Davy

I had a Grant GT wheel on my 240 and one thing I didn't like was that it blocked the top of the speedo/tach from my vision. I could never find a good compromise seat position that gave me the visibility I like for driving on the street but still allowed me to see the guages without dipping my head. Not a factor for a track car but it was annoying to me on the street. Just a thought.