HybridZ

anybody know whats the most HP out of a Turbo L28ET?

Guest ON3GO

Guest bastaad525

I thought stock block was only good for about 350 at the wheels? I know Jeffp... I think it's jeffp... he's putting down like 450+ but that's not a stock block.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i should be able to run about 22psi on pump gas so thats gonna help abit.

i can only wait and see.

also Chris, next open dyno is in 3 weeks... get ur shat together and lets dyno this sucker!!

mike

Make that a "Michigan Bet" with the teacher, dude!

What's a "Michigan Bet" you ask?

"Sir, for every 1hp I make, you owe me a dollar, but ONLY if I exceed 400 to the wheels. For every HP I fall short of 400, I pay YOU $20 per horsepower!"

Quickly realize you BETTER have 380 to the wheels or you will be paying him some serious money! But if you already KNOW what you got, it's a good way to make people (as another Michigander Ted Nuget would say:) "Put up or Shut Up!" :lol:

I made a bet like that on how much weight I could loose. The guys who bet against me was very sorry. For money, I'll starve. No problem!

You guys act like 400 WHP is easy to come by, and well its not. Jeff made over 400 to the wheels, but he has a stroker, and headwork, including a camshaft.

I made only 307 to the wheels with a good sized hybrid, but had other issue's. Most of the 1/4 mile calculators show me now making 360 whp or so, based upon my known vehicle weight and ET, but I haven't dyno'd it to know.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but you need a good turbo, good fuel management, and very good tuning to get there, especially on pump. Jeff was using "some" race fuel if I believe. So was I.

Spend some money, port the exhaust manifold, 60mm tb, a mild cam, headwork, and good efi and turbo, and you should be able to get there.

You should have told him us "turbo 6" guys routinely whip the V8 guys. :lol::lol::lol:

Aaaawwww...dems fightin words :twisted::twisted::wink:

Well you know I could not resist. I mean you would not believe how many people I see down here with a V8 Z that won't fall out of a tree.

Plus it is funny to see someones reaction at the track, when they look under the hood, and don't see a V8. Of couse, they usually know something is up when I heat the tires anyway.

Guest Chris240turbo
Spend some money

I'd hate to think about the money, I plan to never add it up and live in denial! :lol: many thousands, and my car is still on "stockish" suspension, and stone stock brakes! made for an "interesting" ride at 287whp, I shudder to think what it will be like with a whole lot more...

I thought stock block was only good for about 350 at the wheels? I know Jeffp... I think it's jeffp... he's putting down like 450+ but that's not a stock block.

What isn't stock about Jeffp's bottom end? a diesel crank? 2 or 300cc's? I'm also running J+E forged pistons, and certainly plan to eclipse 350whp on a "stock block" Didn't that Shane guy make 400+whp and run low 11's on a fresh from the junkyard engine? I believe it's more about the set up and tuning "zero detonation" than a lot of the motor parts, forged internals buy you longevity, maybe not horsepower... :?:

Guest Chris240turbo

rereading Lockjaw's post, I completely agree, 400whp is certainly NEVER easy to come by, particularly from an L engine, perhaps thats why, after building lots of hotrod stuff, I am entrigued by big power from an inline 6, I recall HOTROD mag did an artical awhile back which featured cars that had never been on a dyno, and before the pull they asked each owner what he/she thought their car would do, nearly all of them estimated WAY high, in fact, I would have bet good money on the fact that my car was 300+whp before I ever went to a dyno, even though my first trip only made 248, it took another trip, with no parts changes, just tuning the Haltech (mostly timing) to really max out the set up I had.

Bottom line, if it where easy, everyone would do it, and, if you have to ask "how much" it's too expensive :D

i dont even wanna know how much i have in my Z.. im sure i could have bought a new WRX or got a STi and have small, SMALL payments.

but im sure ill love my Z way more.

oh well, ill just wait and see what the motor puts out..

thanks

mike

Ok here we go again one more of those questions of how much power...

Here is little story. Most of you know member on here by name JTaylor he is the guy with beautifull orange 280z thats riding on some 18's . Well yall wont belive but he made 388whp and i think 430 pounds of torque at wheels and it was all done on stock 82 electornics, 370cc injectors, stock fpr, and mix of race gas. Did i mention that this was stock junkyard motor 160xxx + miles and stock cam with light head work :shock: . He did have 3inch exhuast big i/cooler, and nice size turbo and it was all done at about 21psi yes it was running way too lean but he did finish the pull and i was right there watching it. He did make 366whp all day long and very much safe at least as safe as those old crapy electronics can be. If mike has nice turbo and good ems i can't see why he would not be able to make 20 more whp than JTaylor did. I would however run some damn race gas in there you know just to be safe :D . I would really like JT to chim in on this subject because he knows his car and setup best (i guess i would be second then lol).

Ivan

well i should be able to run about 22psi on pump gas so thats gonna help abit.

i can only wait and see.

also Chris' date=' next open dyno is in 3 weeks... get ur shat together and lets dyno this sucker!!

mike[/quote']

22psi got me over 400rwhp. I don't know what kind of timing you are running but you will need to be able to run atleast 20 psi with out knocking. If it were me I would run 25psi or more, you have the turbo for it and throw a little 100+ octane in there to guarantee you don't knock. Not too much or they'll smell it. To prove that dick wrong would be my new purpose in life :D .

First off, I did build my bottom end to be bullet proof. I did not want to try to build 500hp on stock cast pistons that had 200K on them and were sucking oil (about a quart per tank or 400 miles) Second, I wanted to build the bottom to last a good long time, and get a little more mechanical leverage with the longer rods. Then I finished it up with ARP studs in the head and the mains.

22psi on pump gas, you are really asking for trouble. You will have to really retard the timing, richen up the mixture to even attempt it. 400RWHP is not as easy as some may think. you will need to run at least 22psi of boost on a stock bottom end to even get close to that figure. Myself, I would not try it on pump gas, detonation on stock pistons are not a good combination.

Anyway, good luck in your efforts, and you know, I have had guys telling me I could not do this or that all of my life. So go for it, just keep your head about you and you will reach your goals. :D

welli knew about Jtaylor i just didnt want to say anything, his car is awesome :).

i dont care if i drive the car with the 400rwhp setting on all the time, i just want to prove this guy wrong and hit that mark, and also if i ever want to go to the track i can put it on that setting and be happy.

its a new rebuild with stock parts as im really short on cash and couldnt afford the Ross pistons and such.

also im looking into a kit that they use on pro Rally cars that spray water and alcahol (sp?) into the motor so i can run safely on those high boost.

also maybe ill throw a tad of race gas in there but still dont wanna do that.

Alex is throwing a kit together for our L6 motors based on my motor and we gotta test it and take it to the limits. and i believe he can do it and so can our L6..

thanks

mike

I have talked to JT, and the car made some wicked power, there is no doubt about it, but here is the LJ bottom line. No matter how much it makes, it doesn't do you much good if it won't do it RELIABLY.

You want that kind of power, you need 550cc injectors, or you are asking for blown engines.

One other thing that big number won't tell you, how was it to drive. Stock injection sucks, just go try a Z31 or JWT and you won't believe the difference. A properly tuned stand alone is even better.

If you cannot buy what you need to thrash it, wait until you can. I have hammered on my engine for 6 years, and have gone thru turbo's, and now a headgasket, but as far as I know, everything else is good.

If you don`t want to run "race" gas you can always go to your local Hardware-Paint store and buy a couple of gallons of Tolulene (114 octane) and a quart of Xylene (118 octane) use at least 3 gallons of pump gas and it should give some octain without a pronounced "race" gas smell. For my water injection brew i mix 50% distilled water 45% detnatured alcohol(another paint store item) a couple of capfulls of airless paint sprayer anti corrosion additive and a couple of capfulls of water soluble oil to make 1 gallon of water injection fluid.

Mike,

You don't need to say a thing. Keep your head down, fine tune that turbo motor, lay down the 400+ HP, and then just look at him. If he says anything invite him to reconfigure the motor his way, at his expense, and see if it will do better. Be really nice & sincere about it. It will rub it in even more.