HybridZ

the most impressive car you have driven

SBC_400

kind of along the lines of a "what other cars do you own" but you never had to spend the money, just something you got a ride in or have had the chance to drive.

I have had the chance to drive some nice porsche 944 turbo's and some race preped 911 na's. once got a ride in an original cobra sc 427. that car was sick.

but the single most impressive car I have ever had a ride in, and got the chance to drive my self, was a...

911 twin turbo slant nose (kremer built)

just sitting in the thing and locking youself into the 4 point camlock harnes was cool, and trying to back it up looking out the small rear window through cage not easy.

the drive itself was just white knuckled. then the guy who works on the car gave me a ride. from his drive way to the end of the street (an elementary school parking lot) is only like 2 or 3 tenths of a mile. he got that car from 0-130mph and back down to 5mph to turn around in the lot.

all I could think of is #1 how do you let go of the wheel to shift, and what is the stall speed of this aircraft.

that is my story, what do you have?

Guest Aaron

The summer I turned 18, (1993) I worked for my uncle in his shop. Always test-drove the cars when I finished with them. I did a tune up on a SVO Mustang. I will never forget that drive. I felt like I could not shift the gears fast enough. I felt like this :shock: when I got back to the shop.

Guest goldraven

would have to be a 911 turbo. i think from like '88. friend of mine built the engine for this guy, has 700ft/lbs of TQ. but only 400 hp.(numbers off the top of my head) basically, you cant breathe for 3 gears. it is amazing how fast those 911s can get going. getting out of the car is hard because your body is still imprinted into the seat heheeh.

Guest ON3GO

most impressive was my friends fathers FD RX7.. car had so much money in it that it would make some of US cry.. it was insane.

he let me take it out, with him telling me to go faster and faster and faster.

car was a rocket. never saw a speedo shoot that fast. was so fast that you couldnt even keep up with the speedo saying the numbers like 60, 70, 80, and so on. it was more like 60, 90, 120, 140, 160... scared the hell out of me. i shut it down after i was in 5th at WOT.. car was still pulling. man that was fast car. handled even better.

he sense sold it for those new Lambo V10 car.. starts with a G.... should have kept the mazda.

god that was the only car that ever scared me.

mike

'92 911 Turbo with HUGE turbo, HUGE intercooler and Tec II. The owner said 550 hp, I think he might have been a little low. Step on the gas and as the boost came on you could feel the foam in the headrest compressing and your head sinking deeper and deeper into it as the boost kept rising. I was wondering if I was going to feel the seat frame eventually if I kept my foot in it. I've been a passenger in a GSX with 400+ hp running 28 lbs of boost, and it didn't even come close to that 911...

Jon

Hi guys

Lasting impressions would be V12 E Type Jag at 130 MPH, Local Ford 351 GTHO when the gear stick popped out of gearbox 3-4 shift 100 MPH.

Most enjoyable, delivering single headlight 330 GT Ferrari back to owner from shop, brief howl of exhaust and roar of intake will live forever together with the smell of old leather. It was a lovely powder blue metallic colour with Borranis and quad pipes and that was nearly 25 years ago Sigh!!!!!!

Sorry started to drift away to another time. Neil

Hmm.. I've driven a few real nice cars over the years.. Lets see;

Late 80's twin turbo RX7; Nothing off the line, but holy crap it moved good after 5000rpm!

94 VW Corrado 1.8 S/C with a few mods; Really quick car, amazing interior (leather, power, ect) and the cool "auto spoiler" that pops out after 80Kph

Glens V12 240Z (yah.. I dono why, but he let me drive it! :shock: ) Wow... holy monkey that was FUN!

70(?) Detomaso Pantera; Didn't drive this one, but went for a fun ride!

92 Izuzu Impulse AWD 1.6 turbo; Man these are WICKED fast little cars! Not much to look at, but with minor tweeking my buddy got about 350Hp out of his! (Im serious too MINOR tweek: Manual boost control. BIG IC. thats it!) I can't touch him in my V6 King cab. At all!

Theres lots mor.. but none come to mind right now!

Guest Thurem

Yep, lets reenter post... Once got a ride in a latemodel Supra with a BUILT twinturbo motor (liquid cooled ballbearing ones at that). It spun the wheels thru 3'rd, and hit 140 on a city street (NO, we don't condone this). Other white knucle rides have all been bikes, one a Formula USA 89/91 GSXR 7/11, another a V-max with bigbore, cams and sick flatslide carbs. Stock Hayabusas and ZX12r's are also sick fast but in a more friendly way.

Thure

OK let me preface this by saying that I work in a VERY high end dealership. We carry rollsroyce,Bently land rover/range rover and my baby LOTUS. I love driving the new Bently GT (twin turbo v12) I drove the elise 290R for a year before it was even supossed to be in the US. we have 3 of the fed spec elises in the show room right now. I have driven a ton of cool rides that were trade ins. I few lambo's a coulple of pracing ponies the best from Germany (I love the SL600's) I just remembered why I like my job!!! Keith

The most impressive car I've driven? I'd have to say a Porsche DP935. Totally amazing at 2.5 bars of boost. Too busy watching the boost gauge, looked at the speedo :shock: 212mph :shock: I've also gotten to drive a brand new 72 DeTomaso Pantera (in 72), a 67 Belvedere 2dr sedan/426 Hemi (a friend owns it), a Superformance AC Cobra replica with 427 side oiler ( another friend owns), oh, and one of my favorites, The car I owned when I was in the service in Germany, 66 Mini Cooper with a 72 motor. Car was set up for racing. That car wasn't real fast but it cornered unbelievably well. :D

Most impressive is my mom's Cobra. I haven't had a chance to drive much else. Its fun when you're in 2nd at 50 and the rear end steps out so hard that the traction control can't even keep up. Thing gets squirlly in 3rd at 80 too. :twisted:

I just opened it up again today on this really long off ramp. Jumped into 3rd and let her rip. Went into fourth, looked down, and I was already doing 130 and going. :eek2:

You do get used to the power though. You keep wanting more and more.

Close second is my friends TT Supra, or used to be. When he still had the stock twins on, it was pretty impressive, but now its probably pushing some good numbers.

Some of you have been very lucky to get to feel that much power in a few of those cars. I've been in an NSX, but not a 911. Maybe someday.

Ive had more than my fair share of cool driving experiences...so its hard to chose just one. the shop that I worked at was one of only handful of authorized Shelby dealers and builders, so we got to have some fun in the CSX series 427 shelbys...as much as I hated assembling those POS, they did have some grunt.

We also had a bunch of vintage race cars in the shop that we maintained. one of my favs was a 67 mini cooper S that had a log book a mile long...including Monte Carlo rallies! car was updated just a little....RHD, 13-1 compression, straight exhaust with a megaphone tip sticking out the back...car was never street legal, but because we did work for the local cops on occasion....hauling ass downtown was sometimes (most of the time) permitted.

the same family that owned the mini had a vintage LHD 356© (i think) that was also a blast...but was constantly mangling valves. (not our fault) it was quick...but his sons mini S would drive circles around it all day long.

We were also the only US distributor for WestField cars. Including the o-so yummy MegaBusa 8! Six forward speeds, six reverse speeds. Incredibly light, all carbon fiber, no roof, no doors. That car was by far the fastest thing I have ever driven. We never got it to the track, but apparently it runs mid 11's. What a damn crazy machine that was.

I used to take my lunch break sitting inside different race cars. formula fords, vintage F1, Can-am cars...you name it, and I’ve probably eaten my lunch in it.

woot!

1952 Buick with a straight eight and a Dynaflow automatic transmisison. Drained all the fluids out of the engine and drove the car for 3 months. Sold it for $5 and the new owner put oil and coolant in the car and drove it for another 2 years.

1952 Buick with a straight eight and a Dynaflow automatic transmisison. Drained all the fluids out of the engine and drove the car for 3 months. Sold it for $5 and the new owner put oil and coolant in the car and drove it for another 2 years.

That is so unbelievably awesome, words don't even explain it. :shock:

Guest gtmattz

mines nothing special...

a 1979 (fox body i belive they call it?) mustang with a 351C with a big cam, the car dynoed at something around 425rwhp at 4200~ rpm..

it handled like a huge tunaboat, all the weight of that huge V8 was on the front wheels, but get it on the freeway and punch it at 70.... it was fun, drove it for about a year as my daily driver.. i got tired of $10 a day for gas and messing with the starter all the time (long story) and traded my dad back for my 83 280zx

Wow, I see sme great cars here.

My best experience was with a Lancia Thema 8.32. It is a basic 4 door saloon but the builders at lancia thought it would be fun to put a 2.9 liter ferrari V8 in the front. I have never really liked ferrari but this car made a believer out of me :D .

Most impressive car I have ever driven? That's easy. It was a Fiat 850 spyder that my friend had in high school. What a piece of crap! It was so light, we could pick it up. The build quality was typical italian-a miracle if you made it back in one piece alive. Also, it had a Briggs and Statton lawnmower engine. At least that's what it felt like (it was a big improvement over the original Fiat). Funny thing was, he managed to sell it to our math teacher for something like $3000-no wonder we barely passed that class.