HybridZ

How can we stop HybridZ from turning into another Zcar.com ?

Forrest

(No offense to the people who are running zcar.com, but their users have stopped me from posting there or reading)

As long as I have been coming here, this site has been an excellent resource for information, with minimal BS. Maybe it was even better before I came aboard, and this is not new to anyone. However, lately there seem to be more and more re-asked questions, questions asked so vaguely that they cannot possibly be answered, or, worst of all, questions answered with misinformation.

The moderators here have already said, repeated, underlined, emphasized: if you have a question about a subject - do a search first. If you post a question that has been answered 10 times already - that makes it HARDER for the next guy doing a search to find the right answer.

If you are unsure (or if you should be) of the validity of the response you're writing, it seems to me like it would be polite to say so if you are going to respond at all.

I am not trying to tell anyone what to do. I am asking for your cooperation...if you're coming here for information instead of the other places, please be considerate and read what has already been posted by the owners and operators here about board ettiquette. Otherwise this site will be just as bad as all the rest, with time.

I don't know what else can be done, except have to have really harsh moderation. It seems like that has been decided against, which is a statement of trust in all of us. It is up to us, who are using the site.

I love all you guys, and am not trying to tick anyone off. If you think I have a valid point, just think about it. I will try to live up to what I'm saying too, I'm sure I've made a post or two in the past that wasn't well researched enough beforehand.

Thanks,

-Forrest

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Forrest. I have a couple of suggestions to possibly help cut back on useless/double posts.

One big help would be to remove the Search box from the top right of the main page (and most other pages). It doesn't work, and I've seen several people say that they did search and nothing came up. Also when they do search they usually don't click the button so that the search goes for all search terms together instead of individually. If the search were defaulted to the ALL setting, I think that too would cut down on the problems.

These things can only help the users here. The ones who do search will get a better answer, and the rest of us don't have to read the same post 500 times.

As far as the inaccurate answers go, this is a public forum and all we can do is point out the inaccuracy, although I suppose the mods could delete bad posts if they were wrong and not challenged. Can't expect them to find everything though.

I've noticed the same and I've also noticed that they are almost always newbies to this site. Maybe we should just consider it the cost of having new members? Most of them probably found out about HybridZ over at zcar.com anyway so they are just doing things the way they were allowed to do it there. I know I answered one question on that site at least a dozen times over about a 6 month period.

I think if we all just politely keep pushing the "search button" theme it will all work out ok

:lol:

I've noticed that a lot of answers to post have nothing to do with the post question. It seam that a lot of people just want to add something of no use to the original question.

I would support keeping to the original topic, It would shorten the reading when doing a search for a topic.

This might sound militant, but I think it might help.

Prevent new users from starting new threads until they have been a member for a few weeks/months. This way, they can't get a membership and start creating repetitvie threads immediately. It will force them to use the search function because they won't be able to come right out and ask the question. I believe this is not excessive because most of the answers to mods to hybrid z's are already here in the archives.

Guest ON3GO

im prob the only one who might think this.. but what i think makes this site so cool is the members, and how they will help ya out.

i think if a new member did ask a new question i have no problem answering it again and again, because i like being friendly on this site.

also i no how sometimes if you search you cant find anything, it happens to me alot.

mike

I'm a newbe, oldbe. New to the site, did the Z car V-8 conversion thing years ago. I didn't know anyone was still interested in them. I've only seen three of four around here in 15 yrs. I was excited to find that I wasn't the only one that saw the potential of them. I'm happy to answer any questons anyone has, but I'm no expert and my info is probably out of date.

I tried to get the search function to work but it never did for me. I read all the posts on the Ford conv. pages for AOD info. Only found a couple of posts, one said it would work, one said that it wouldn't..

Keep up the good work.

Adios Amigos,

If you want new users to follow these instructions the following steps are probably a good soloution.

When you press on the button add new topic have a screen that has a brief description on how to search and the search button first. Then a button that says No info found add new topic.

This reminds them every time to serach first.

I get mixed results from search, sometimes I can't get a thread I know is there. Have patience.

I like sims76's idea. Limit a new user's ability to create new threads until a certain time period has expired.

I also think a real improvement to the search feature would be the ability to search for an exact phrase match as well as the current all terms or any terms. I've tried getting the search to look for a string or phrase by putting it in quotes but the search engine strips them off and looks for the terms based on the selected mode (all or any).

Also being able to limit the all or any terms search to each post rather than an entire thread would be very useful.

I'm a Software Engineer so I understand that the last idea could be pretty tough to implement but it would be well worth it. The first 2 ideas would be relatively simple to put in place. I'd be willing to help if need be although I have almost no PHP experience.

This is a great site with tons of information and if we don't want to answer the same questions again and again the search feature needs to be improved and emphasized.

Wheelman

Guest iskone

I've always liked the idea of posting answers to the usaaul questions in a sticky.

There are alway going to be people asking the same questions no matter what, I feel like I ask the same thing somtimes too.

Anyway sometimes it might help to come up with new ideas.

isaac

Guest Phailure

well part of the problem is... some people dont even bother reading the stickies assuming that they're all administrative posts.

Guest iskone

That's true.

If I had the time I would put together something like that for questions like:

How do I make my car handle?

What brake options are there?

What car is the best for "so and so"?

What year did the r200 come in?

How much power can "this" handle?

Can I put these wheels/tires in?

ETC........

Isk

Having a technical occupation I think I am pretty good at understanding how to conduct a productive search. However, more times than not I find that other people have a hard time understanding how seach works. I have actually watched as users have typed in their exact question just as they would ask verbally. Searching a database of information is a skill, teaching the skill is realistic, banning them from posting for a period of time will just make them go away.

The only way that I have seen that works, to some degree, is establishing a list of FAQ's. If they don't get read, others can always post with a link and direct them to the appropriate information, along with a post saying "I found this in the FAQ's". It's not a 100% solution but with time more users wil check the FAQ's first.

This site is an excellent source for information, I'd also like to see it continue.

Just my $.02

Keep them coming guys. :D

We're taking note! And just so you guys don't think we've been sleeping, This very issue has been a topic of discussion in the ADMIN forum for quite some time...

Forrest, rest assured, as long as the ADMIN STAFF and MODERATOR STAFF are here, you will NEVER see this site go down the path of ZCAR.COM!

No offense to them, but they are why we are here in the first place!

Mike 8)

Guest Phailure

I also agree about the search box in the top right... It definitely doesnt work... I wish there were a direct link to the normal forum search in the links in the top bar along with the 'contribute' and 'web resource', etc links. I dont like having to keep clicking on the forums link and then clicking on search just to search. I know its probably an insignificant issue but I just feel like if I only have to click 1 link to search instead of 2, then Im doing 1/2 the work :D .

In my mind, what sets us apart are the general users. The only way this site will stay technical and informative is if the general hybridz public keeps it so. We can moderate until we are blue in the face, but that isn't really going to catch everything. Everyone that cares about this board needs to moderate, that is the only way it will work.

- If you see a post that has incorrect tech info, point it out.

- If you are going to post, make sure it contributes to the topic.

- If you have a question, do a search first.

If everyone followed these simple guidelines we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Self moderation for everyone!! :D

Guest iskone

What about this faq? it is a start.

http://240z.jeromio.com/faqdraft/

Was this sponserded by Hybridz?

It might be a good idea to ask the companies that offer custom parts to the Z crowd to do a FAQ write up and then post on Hybridz.

We could have them setup as stickies at the top of the relavent topic or a link to a FAQ section under the modules

I'm all about a FAQ for the ease of use and accesibility of knowledge on the forums. Even for myself it sure woould beat having to dig through all my papers and scan through countless pages looking for that one little thing I forgot.

Isk

Guest RCNSC

Well I have a different view than most....

I don't see repeat threads as bad. There are products coming out every day and new things are still being learned about these old cars. If a year ago someone posted a topic on all the offerings body kit wise, well that wouldn't include the MSA Type 3 air dam seeing as its new.

I like the idea of an FAQ page. It would take some work, but break it down into like V8 FAQs, L6 FAQs, etc etc and link according to the most relevant threads.

People like answers individualized to their askings..... Plus.. if you don't like same old questions, don't read it. It gives me something to do, and its what keeps this site going.. otherwise, it'd just an a huge boring archive and not a message board.

People like answers individualized to their askings..... Plus.. if you don't like same old questions, don't read it. It gives me something to do, and its what keeps this site going.. otherwise, it'd just an a huge boring archive and not a message board.

RCNSC... I dont think you understand how the search feature works? If you have 100 guy ask "will a SBC V8 fit in my 240z" it will make it hard for the guy who actually uses the search funtion to actually find the info that he needs. So if we can keep the repeat post down to an absolute mininum it will just make the search feature that much more useful. Yes there is always new info but the ALL(not some not most.....ALL) the basic question have been answered multiple times. I think that is what we are trying to get at. :wink:

Guy

Guest RCNSC

My suggestion is work on the technical FAQ page. That way all basic questions can be answered.

When I read through HybridZ posts, it gets me thinking on things I would never have searched for before.... so its the reason I like repeat posts. If it bothers ya'll that much, why don't the Admins just delete irrelavent topics and send the searcher to a usable link?