HybridZ

Scissor doors for z cars

dpwong

i think it would look cool but if you go to the websites like http://www.decah.net and see the videos of them in action, it looks really f*cking cheesy. the door opens up all wobbly and the guys have to hold the door up. its not a smooth up and down action but rather an upswing that wobbles left and right as you do so. i'd do it if they were able to figure out a better method. looks like more trouble than its worth. :roll:

Scissor doors?

Please, I have a hard enough time getting in and out of my Z now. Wait 'till you're old and fat. :cry:

Suicide doors, humm...

Now that may have some merit. Although it might look like your trying to sneek into your Z butt first. Misjudge your entry approch and it could look real funny. :oops:

I was going to jump all over this thread saying how re-hingeing your door is a useless mod that doesn't improve the car. Then I remembered about my taillights. Caught that one in the nick of time. :lol:

I wonder what happened to that guy -- I remember a while back he was gauging interest on lambo door kits over at zcar.com, and I was under the impression he was going to put them into production, but I haven't heard from him in a long time. I'm pretty sure I saw that 280zx go on eBay, too, so I suppose he lost interest.

The first car I ever saw that had scissor doors and wasn't supposed to was an Integra in a Sport Compact Magazine. This guy was a mechanical engineer and actually designed the doors to slide up and roll forward besides the front fender. There was no side-side play and the door was perfectly neutral. If you have the skills and the time to make it perfect, it's a thing of beauty. If not, I wouldn't bother.

ok, thats retarded. watching the video, you have to open it out LIKE A REGULAR DOOR, then up. haaha. whats the point?

Getting out of your bucket seat, harness, and rollcage with more ease? What they need is something to stop people from hitting OUR doors!

Owen

Last Summer I did some research into the "Lambo" type doors for an application to the Two40MuscleZ. There were 2 companies here in Southern California who stated that they could make the mods necessary to achieve that look. The cost was around $2500, parts and labor. It would only take one day to complete, and they were back logged approx 4-6 weeks; at that time. I hesitated not for the price, but because I am certain that, just like the V-8 applications that we do currently, the technology will improve thus giving a better product and price structure. There is also a company out of Canada that will sell you a "how to" brochure...save your money, I've seen it! Eventually, once the MuscleZ is ready for that stage of its development,,,the doors will "go up". Its a novel concept. Just the current tech. is not quiet there yet...at least for the Z's.

VAN

your door is a gull wing where part of the roof is attached to the door and you have more room to get in and out. Otherwise, you still have the same opening to squeeze into. What difference does it make which *way* the door opens? Either way, what I'd like to know is where you would put the counterweights. Also, I'd think the door would have to be a composite material too.

zlim