HybridZ

What would you do with $5000?

Guest sigur

I have a beautiful 71 240Z that is stock and a 01 S2000. After looking through these boards I decided that I want a turbo L6 instead of a V8 or other unique setup. What would you do to the Z for under $5K including labor? Or should I just put that money towards supercharging my S2000 and making it crazy at 9000 rpm's?

Buy a turboengine and driveline from a 280ZX Turbo, install a T3/T04B or E turbo, standalone enginemanagement, 550cc injectors, 60 mm throttlebody and a good intercooler with 2.25" or 2.5" plumbing and BOV. And 3" exhaust!

And of course upgrade the suspension and brakes.

This is what I'm doing!

Guest bastaad525

Well, I know you said you're not interested, but... truth is a LOT of done or very nearly done V8 swapped Z's have passed thru here for sale for $5000 or less even. Whereas I've only seen one or two turbo setups offered for near that price. Either one is great... personally, having had a turbo swapped 240 for over a year now, I do sometimes find myself wishing I'd gone V8.... Lag SUCKS, there's no two ways about that. I would love to have the instant on torque of a nice V8 motor. Plus, there's simplicity, if you go with a carbed setup. L28ET's can be buggy beasts depending on what EFI setup you run...

Really though... I just hate the lag... you can easily build either setup to get similiar power levels, but I don't think there's much if anything at all you can do to make the Turbo motor as responsive as the V8.

Then you could either sell or just keep the '71 stock, or even slowly save to still put a turbo in that one and have the best of both worlds.

Send me 5K and I'll not only give you a detailed report, but add you to my christmas card list to boot.

I think you should do a diesel conversion, I don't think that's been done before. Use big turbo and propane injection.

Just kidding, I'm good at spending money and if I helped you with ideas, you'd have to go find another 10K.

spend half on my z and the other half on a down payment to a barret .50BMG sniper rifle.

Light Armored Vehicles beware!

Needing someone else to do the work could very well eat up a decent percentage of your 5 G's. If that is the case I would stick with a relatively straight forward swap (L28ET or V8 ). The L28 would be a direct bolt in affair and there are swap kits available for the V8's.

I think your money would be put to better use with either of these engine choices. My RB swap will cost me roughly $7,000... and thats with ME handling all the labor. You can make equivalent power (~300hp) easily with the str8-6 or V8. Almost makes me wish I were doing a different, less costly, swap... almost! :wink:

might I suggest a weekend in Vegas, a pile of coke, a couple of hookers and a little blackjack?

This would definitely be the best call.

Having had a turbo 280ZX drive train in an early Z I must ask this question: "what do you really plan on doing with it?" Seriously consider this, because IMHO on the street I had no complaints, but on the track it was fast but a very different experience. If you want that raw sensation the turbo is so smooth its a different ride. Just my .02 for you to consider.

• 1 month later...

you are thinking exactly like me. i also have a 71 that i am putting in a 83 turbo motor. i am doing just like pjo046 said. i am getting everything he said. i am getting the engine rebuilt by a garage. i am getting him to install it and a 5 speed trans. i am getting a local z guy to help me with the rest. i am still in my 5 k budget. but the z guy and me are doing the wiring, fuel tank, turbo, fuel lines. that is going to help me stay under my budget. good luck and keep at it!

If it were me I would sell the S2K and build the 240Z.

bingo!

ive driven S2000's alot, even have one at my finger tips if i ever need one.

there great cars and i would love to own one but they cant compare to a old turbo Z.. no way no how!

ive done a turbo swap and mods for well under 5k, hell well under 2k.

do the basics on the L28ET, get a nice fmic and piping, nice size turbo, good standalone system, nice size injectors, fuel pump, electric fan, refreash the brakes and get some good tires cuz ur gonna need them..

ive racec a vortech S2000 with a few other goodies with my L28ET 280Z running 12psi on the stock motor with stock t3.. it was a joke :D

mike

I like 5Foot2's response myself...

However, if you still insist on spending it on the Z...

Upgrade the brakes and suspension to better bits first, and then learn how to drive it... I'd recommend doing an instructional school. I'd wager money that more than 80% of the people on this board would walk away dumbfounded at how poorly they would perform on a road course... I know I have been humbled more than once.

Learn to drive the car you have to 110% and then plan to upgrade the powertrain... That's my recommendation!

Mike

I agree w/Mike on this one.As an old autocrosser,I got served up a big slice of humble pie on more than a couple of occasions,and I was pretty well experienced.I usually won my class against some pretty hot cars as the Z is classed with some fancy hardware in the SCCA.Occasionally a pro driver would quietly show up at a local event.A guy showed up one time and spanked my pretty heavily modded 280z with a STOCK S-10 pickup truck with good tires.And I dont mean just a little bit either,he spanked my best time hard.So dont get too cocky out there guys or somebody will hand you a "slice of pie".