HybridZ

Supercharged Z Video

kj280z

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$2600 is stupid cheap... You can buy the standalone holley commander950 ECU and harness for $800 and it'll drive everything you need for a universal 6 Cylinder setup. So for less than most people are paying for the primaryu unit itself you guys could have a power adder that is proven and reasonably safe for an additional 100+hp??? Ken, I hope guys are beating down your door, with all the posts about "how can I go faster" and "how can I beat my best friends third cousin's girlfriend's grandmother's dodge dimplomat" posts! :roll:

:lmao:

Mike:cool:

The goal was to keep it reasonably priced... Obviously I'm able to do so because I have very little overhead... Not a lot of profit margin either, but hey I think if more people were to actually drive the car it would be a no brainer. Everyone who has driven it has really liked it.

That video you saw of the Autocross at Gainesville was John Thomas (12 time SCCA National Champ) driving the car. It was his first time behind the wheel and he ran the 3rd fastest time of the day with it ... the 2 cars ahead of it were all out race cars and mine is street legal (although the exhaust needs to be changed to make it more civilized on the street).

He later said he could have run faster with a little more seat time in it.

If you notice, the transmission was rather "crunchy" and he had trouble shifting it... seems like the stock tranny is going to be a weak point.

I had a problem with the ECU and he was unable to run it again... Maybe next time!

If you guys are ever near Florida, look me up and we'll go for a ride.

Ken

Hey Ken, could you still use the distributor or does the bracket get in the way (it looks like it does)? I realize crank trigger is PREFERABLE of course, just playing devil's advocate. Looks fantastic and I would definately be interested in about a year.

Hey Ken, could you still use the distributor or does the bracket get in the way (it looks like it does)? I realize crank trigger is PREFERABLE of course, just playing devil's advocate. Looks fantastic and I would definately be interested in about a year.

The redesigned manifold will allow for a distributor to be retained. You guys are starting to motivate me to continue development of the manifold!

The current design was just a proof of concept and since I was happy with the results I decided it was worth doing the next generation manifold (velocity stacks and ability to intercool with laminova strips).

The new manifold should be good for more power and will have some optional additions which will include Laminova strips for intercooling (this would be a little more money, cost unknown until it is designed). The basic manifold could be upgraded later if someone felt it was required for their particular application.

I'm going to play around with water injection on my first generation manifold (the one that's on the car in the pictures) and will share the results.

Ken

What are laminova strips?

Also, I assume the manifold will have the proper ports for the map sensor and brake master vac? Also need something for the valve cover breather hose. I guess you could use one of those K&N things, but I have seen those leak oil before.

That brings up something else I have always wondered about: When you have a turbo/supercharger application, how do you address anything that gets vacuum from the manifold since there are times it is under pressure (i.e. brake booster, vacuum canister for the HVAC controls). I guess you could put some kind of a check valve in the line that only allows flow in one direction? How is this done, I've never owned a turbo car before. Not trying to hi-jack the thread:-)

thanks

Hey guys...

I attended the PRI trade show yesterday. I was hoping to meet with a few vendors to talk about their new products and how they could be utilized in a next generation production kit.

It was extremely productive and this may become a reality... And one with even more power potential!

I'm even considering upgrading the supercharger... Next week after the vendors return from the show I will follow up

Let me ask you...

I am considering changing the configuration and have the supercharger mounted on brackets rather than on the manifold. This would allow for several different intercooling options. Additionally, this might allow the use of 2 different superchargers depending on your needs/requirements.

The newer supercharger (sorry can't say what it is yet) supposedly is good for 400hp (Obviously I'd have to test it). (Another nice advantage is the SC I'm considering is much more quiet than my current one)

If I did this and it raised the price to $3,500, how would that sit with you?

Ken

"I attended the PRI trade show yesterday."

Dude, you suck! LOL

Reading the guide to the show sine it arrived before the last trip the NJ! Are you partaking of the "Ladies Steakhouse" advertised in the guide edition? I can see you there, in Orlando, ordering steaks on the, uh...."Barbie"!

I like the Brackets idea, that was the direction I was going for the 510 and the Camden C80 I have laying around (about the size of the stock A/C pump...)

Anything Lysholm is my friend!

I digress.

• 5 weeks later...

the sound of that car is down right scary, awesome build! im really impressed :) More then anything though i cannot wait to see the comparrison between that and the VK56DE hybrid you are building, i have high hopes and am very excited to see the unvailing of that car. Seriously though that 3.0 liter supercharged engine is someting i wouldnt ever want to pull up next to on the street...i hate to lose ;)

Well thanks! It will be a little while before I get back on the Z's. But I'm dying to get rolling.

I have been getting REALLY excited about the vk56de... My buddy has a Titan and I've been in it a lot lately. That motor with a little work is gonna be amazing!

• 1 year later...

I have all the parts for the 2nd generation manifold and hope to have it done prior to the convention... I have one customers car ahead of it right now which we are building for the convention... it will be a great surprise :)