HybridZ

AZ Brakes going on.

The factory parking brake isn't an emergency brake. If you had a brake failure in traffic and relied on the stock P brake to save you I think you would fair better jumping out of the car.

How about backing a dead car up a few feet in the driveway and realizing you have just run out of residual vacuum on the power brakes, so you grab for the parking brake to keep from hitting the wife's car behind you? Or as an aid for a novice driver trying to work the clutch on a hill? Also pretty handy when working on the car. I have also owned cars whos engines were so loose the car would work their way backwards down a hill one cylinder at a time if parked in gear without the e brake on. Not to mention my kids get in my truck from time to time. Nice to know the brake is on in case they kick it out of gear.

I have been in a car that had a complete loss of brakes (several actually) and depending on speed the parking brake can and did stop the vehicle. Sure beat taking it into a parked car. Not as much of a worry now that I can afford to maintain my vehicles, but it does happen.

Plus many states require saftey inspections either annually or before a car can change hands. Lack of a parking brake would make my car unsellable as a street vehicle.

What I can't see a use for is line locks. Maybe as a theft deterrent, but not much else.

I have driven close to 500 miles with a bad vacumm booster so the lack of vacumm to stop a car in a driveway won't be a problem. I would never let a novice learn how to drive in my Z. If my engine had such low compression or was loose enough that it would roll in 1st gear I wouldn't be putting race brakes on it, but rebuilding the motor. If I had kids they wouldn't be playing jungle gym in my parked car on a incline. If a state requires a P brake then race brakes in the rear wouldn't be a good idea. Race brakes aren't for everyone I guess. The line lock does work as P brake though. I just usually find it easier to leave it in gear as I have been doing it with every car I have had for the last 18yrs.

How about backing a dead car up a few feet in the driveway and realizing you have just run out of residual vacuum on the power brakes' date=' so you grab for the parking brake to keep from hitting the wife's car behind you? Or as an aid for a novice driver trying to work the clutch on a hill? Also pretty handy when working on the car. I have also owned cars whos engines were so loose the car would work their way backwards down a hill one cylinder at a time if parked in gear without the e brake on. Not to mention my kids get in my truck from time to time. Nice to know the brake is on in case they kick it out of gear.

I have been in a car that had a complete loss of brakes (several actually) and depending on speed the parking brake can and did stop the vehicle. Sure beat taking it into a parked car. Not as much of a worry now that I can afford to maintain my vehicles, but it does happen.

Plus many states require saftey inspections either annually or before a car can change hands. Lack of a parking brake would make my car unsellable as a street vehicle.

What I can't see a use for is line locks. Maybe as a theft deterrent, but not much else.[/quote']

Clifton, I _have_ stopped my car with the emergency brake in several emergencies. Linelocks also do not give me the option of locking the rears up on a driving course for the fastest possible 180, either. But no one is telling you what to use. I'm merely stating they do not meet my criteria, and I stand by my statement that they do not have all the capabilities of the factory "manual" brake.

If someone has some suggestions for a manual brake solution, I'd be very interested. I'd also like to hear more details on what Pete's issues with the spot calipers were, I never saw anything in depth.

Race brakes aren't for everyone I guess. The line lock does work as P brake though.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The line lock does work as P brake though.

If it doesn't leak down. At least that is what the guy at Arizona Z car told me when I was considering his brakes.

I just usually find it easier to leave it in gear as I have been doing it with every car I have had for the last 18yrs.

Just what I have done for the last 30 years. But I still like a functional hand brake.

Guest zigzac

Hi, I thought I'd chime in. I'm in the process of aquiring my brake components now. My parking brake plan was to machine up brackets and a mini rotor to mount on driveshaft/differential. I have some measurements taken but the spot caliper isn't here yet (on next months "to buy" list) so I don't have much progress but it looks like you can fit it in there. I am keeping (trying anyways) the car street legal and in NH you need to have a mechanical parking brake to get a sticker. Has anyone else seen anyone mounting a spot caliper like this?

im sure it would work, its just a matter of fabrication. toyota land cruisers hav had them since the 60's(course u wont find them on newer cruisers) but ya, they work. also they wer originally drum brake(not that they worked all that great, but they did work) mounted on the transfercase/rear driveshaft, but now they hav disc brake retrofit kits(much superior to the drum brake parking brakes of old)... so ya, just a matter of time, money, and frabrication, lol...

ryan~

I used a line lock on my 510 after converting to rear disc brakes. Went to work and failed to get it all the way in reverse gear and the line lock bled down. I got paged to come get my car. It had rolled down a slight hill and into the wall just missing the front glass entrance door. Damaged my beautiful red 1 week old paint job not to mention the egg on my face.