HybridZ

Single Groove Harmonic Balncer, Where?

Guest iskone

Guest iskone

My balancer is cracked ,whooo hoooo! :icon8:

I want to get a single groove balncer. I run the altanator and water pump off the pulley.

Where do I get one? I did a search here and the net. I know I've seen them for about $85

Isk

Guest iskone

Man, I looked at that site and didn't even see it.

I know I saw one somewhere for $85 they had an 8" and 6"

If I can't find it I'll buy the one for $120

Isk

Guest iskone

I think the ones from Robello are overkill for me. Yeah, it would be nice but I plan to do a V8 swap soon anyway so I don't want to spend the extra money.

I'm thinking I might not even need the single groove one.

Isk

IIRC, the single v-groove balancer is a euro balancer and the accessories (alt. & waterpump pulley) may require a slight realignment of up to 0.125" forward...

It's the Nismo "race damper" and not the euro damper that requires changing the water pump pulley and alternator pulley to maintain belt alignment. The euro damper was just the stock part Nissan used on the early non-smog (no air pump) Z cars that were sold outside the USA.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=99996-E1060E&Category_Code=s30_nismo_racedamper

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=99996-E1060E&Category_Code=s30_nismo_racedamper

According to the text on the above link page the race damper can be used with OE water pump and alternator pulleys, ain't it the Nismo Pulley Set that requires the water pump and alternator pulleys to be changed?

Tim

Guest iskone

I ordered the euro damper last week so it should be here this week.

I was wondering if there are some things I need to be aware of when installing the new damper. What is the best way to go about it?

I'm worried about damaging it heres why. I just about got my motor back together so I thought I'd put the cracked one back on, not to use but my distributor is ran off the crank and I need the balcenr on so I can bolt the gear that drives the distributor to the crank. I wanted to do that since when I torque the cam bolt down and the motor spins it would also spin the distributor. I want to set the timing before I torque down the cam bolt so I won't have to set it the hard way. Anyway so I just put the old one on by hand, yes by hand did not need any tools. When it was all the way on it had a ton of freeplay and I coiuld just pull it right off. I'm thining that since I worsened the crack in the balcner when I put it on the crank this was the cause of it being so loose.

Thoughts? Advice? Just want to avoid any problems.

Isk

It doesn't come with another key. The balancer should be tight, but you should be able to push it on by hand. I put a super thin layer of anti-seize on the inside of the balancer, and I was able to pull it off by hand last time I took it off.

Is the pulley and harmonic balancer a 2 piece unit? I bought a single grove pulley a while back from another Z guy for my supercharger project. I have not taken the dual pulley off of my car to change it our yet. From the looks of what I have there are 2 small holes for screws and the center hole for the crank bolt. There is a round grouve on the back side.

Guest iskone

I just picked up a new key today at the local Nissan parts desk, They even had it in stock!

Anti-seize huh. I'll give it a try. I'm thinking the new one will be tighter.

No, the pulley and balancer is one piece. I have another peice that fits inside the balancer and has teeth to drive mt dist. If you want you can take a look at my album to see what I'm talking about. http://album.hybridz.org/showgallery.php?cat=500&page=2&perpage=12&ppuser=8740&what=allfields&=&action=

Isk

Guest iskone

When it comes to troqueing down the bolt that holds on the balancer what has worked?

With my setup I've tried locktite over and over but it always comes loose. I've thought maybe I could try anti-seize so I could get a good solid torquing?

Isk

I would NOT anti-seize the crank bolt. I put antiseize on the part where it slides onto the crank, not the threads on the bolt.

What locktite are you using, red? Red is what you should be using. There is a super gnarly green you can get if this is that much of an issue. Other than that I've NEVER heard of damage from overtorquing this bolt. I'd put it on as tight as you can by hand, or set your impact on RFT and that should do it. I assume you got the larger crank bolt with the Euro damper?

Guest iskone

OK no anti seize.

No I didn't get the larger bolt I didn't think it was a must. Don't tell me I need it!

I also don't have an impact wrench.

isk