HybridZ

Anyone ever use a weighted shift knob?

HeatRaveR

Why would you want to have a heavy shift knob? Lighter is better as far as I can see.....less mass to move, less load on the entire shift linkage and forks, translating to less wear and better performance. Have you seen the aluminum shift knobs that have been milled out and look like a bunch of stacked up whaffers...just to save some weight. I'm curious now about why you would want a counterbalanced (what ever that might be) shift knob!

Drove my buddy's Cooper S with a massive, sculptured ball he added for a shift knob. I was pleasantly surprised how it made shifting that car so much better. It obviously was designed specifically for that car. OTOH, the best shift knob I ever had in one of my cars was the big, black plastic one on the T5 in my 2nd V8Z.

I would imagine some trannies with external linkage or internal linkages with worn bushings could get vibration with a heavy knob.

I had a Alfa Romeo 164. I replaced the standard knob for an aftermarket one which was a lot heavier. I was pleasantly suprised. It felt a lot smoother to shift and it gave a very solid feel to the linkage system. I guess the weight worked as a stabilizing mass.

alot of the e36 M3 guys use high mass shift knobs...the "rob knob"..or atleast that what i remember (been a long time since i've kept up with bimmer stuff.) anywho, most of them really liked it...

Im certain that there is such a thing as too light for a knob, as well as too heavy. you must experiment and find the right feel for you. Im using a sparco ball knob that weighs in at around 12oz, Its the heaviest one I've used so far and also my favorite. the previous knob was around 3oz and it sucked! the shifter just felt weak, and flimsy and tended to let the shifter lever buzz at certain speeds....new knob, no more more buzz.

Skunk2 makes a matched system for their shifter setup for Hondas. I have the short shifter, but haven't bought a 440? gram matched shift knob yet. Comparing mine (short shifter and stock knob) vs. the matched system (both shifter and right knob), the matched one was a bit smoother and more positive. Makes some sense to me, because the extra weight provides more leverage (only guessing).

I have kind of a small hand, so all the ball knobs feel too big for me. I'm kind of interested in trying out a tubular/cylindrical knob and a "teardrop/acorn"-shaped knobs. Those kinds have worked for me in video games, but I need to see how it is on a real car. If I can help it, I'm kind of leaning away from the all-aluminum knobs since I'm kind of expecting they'd get pretty hot during the day and freezing in the winter nights.

Ever see what some of the nextell nascar guys use. Like a round alum knob all cut and max machined fluted for light weight, cooling and grip. Yes the heat might be an issue, A good point indeed....but I think they look cool!

Ever see what some of the nextell nascar guys use. Like a round alum knob all cut and max machined fluted for light weight, cooling and grip. Yes the heat might be an issue, A good point indeed....but I think they look cool!

10-4 Brian....thats the kind of shift ball I mentioned earlier. I know everyone has their personal preference, but it just doesn't make much performance sense to me to install a heavy shift knob on the end of a lever arm (shifter).

stock 2nd gen rx7 shiftknob weighs about 1lb-1.5lb, believe it or not. mazda put quite a bit of thought when redesigning the rx7 for 2nd gen, and went through a lot of hoops to save weight (alum. jack, alum control arms, alum brake calipers)

so there's probably a good reason they used a weighted knob

Nissan experimented when developing the Z32 and made the shift knob heavy intentionally. They did it to improve shift feel. I have the Road & Track book that details the 300z program, there is about a paragraph worth of a Nissan engineer expounding on the why. (I'd scan it for you, but it's in storage)

I personally prefer the old school Mr. Gasket chrome ball knobs, they're just the right size and nicely weighted. They are also dirt cheap at swap meets...

Guest JAMIE T

I have a NASCAR type knob. I used it in my '71 until I took it off the road. I liked it just fine. I can understand both arguements though. I would like to try the weighted knob sometime.

Guest Benito

Mitsubishi sells a stock looking weighted shift knob for DSMs. I had onne on my Galant VR-4 and it improved the feel, probbaly didnt matter, mitsu synchros are trash. If you have kind of a notchy feeling shifter, I'd go with more weight, but if it takes some strength and precision to shift, I'd say go with the lighter one...