HybridZ

Rb26DETT kit

Guest Z31_Driver

I emailed Walter and told him the prob. He wrote back and said this.

"the cost of pro-typin a pan for that swap is very high and current request

it would take more than 5 year to breake even. I have sold over 20o ZR200

pans over the last 2 years and only 1 or 2 have had a problem with the

fabrication of the pick-up..and pan mods..I would love to make some but I have to make a $$ too..."

the pan fabrication("pro-typin") has little to do with cost and everything to do with abilities and resources. I made 10 of them with no problem.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That utilized the early style Tranny Mount stock location.

oh.. ok. does that bar thingie go up inside the trans tunnel? or does it hang down waiting to catch something?

also, still on the trans mount:, what does everybody think about the weight of motor/trans being dependent on those single bolts to hold up the back end weight of the motor, and all the weight of the trans?

oh.. ok. does that bar thingie go up inside the trans tunnel? or does it hang down waiting to catch something?

also' date=' still on the trans mount:, what does everybody think about the weight of motor/trans being dependent on those single bolts to hold up the back end weight of the motor, and all the weight of the trans?[/quote']

what?? the stock one is doing the same thing... 2 bolts to hold the tranny and back of the engine. most of the weight is on the engine mounts.... why hate? just say you don't like the kit. if I go RB I'll probably buy those mounts... easier for me... I don't fabricate...I wrench and drive...

what?? the stock one is doing the same thing... 2 bolts to hold the tranny and back of the engine. most of the weight is on the engine mounts.... why hate? just say you don't like the kit. if I go RB I'll probably buy those mounts... easier for me... I don't fabricate...I wrench and drive...

I Don't Like It.... because of the price they will try and charge you for the "kit".

If you have no means other than McKinney, I guess you'll have to buy it.

I Don't Like It.... because of the price they will try and charge you for the "kit".

If you have no means other than McKinney' date=' I guess you'll have to buy it.[/quote']

HAAHA, and I'll probably pay alot more than if I did it myself....but hey, this kit is for guys like me..... willing to pay more money for something I know I don't have the tools or the skills to do myself.... Trust me..if you saw my welds..you tell me to go buy the kit..hahahaa

I like the idea of there being a ready to use kit available but I just don't see a 'one fits all' solution. There are a two types of transmission mount brackets in the 240Z. The transmission mount in the picture seems to be for the earlier 240Z (vertical bolt style). Then would this kit be of no use to anyone with a Z newer than 1972? Then there is the problem of what transmission to use with an RB motor. Is the kit going to have to come with a list of parts that is was designed to be used with?

Okay I should clear a fwe things up about this kit. This kit is very very specific.

It is designed for the early style 240Z. Meant to put any RB block [we're not talking about oil pan clearance] just the block with room to clear probably the 200ZR oil pan knowing McKinney and a RB25DET transmission. Not the RB20DET or the RB25DE transmissions.

Again, RB25DET transmission to a RB block in the early 240Z. No and if's or buts about what this kit was designed for. If you ask them "will it fit blah blah blah" they're just going to say "kit is designed for RB with 25DET tranny, anything else is up to you if it fits or not".

As for those without skill or with skill...remember HybridZ is about to each his own Z and however someone wants to do something is up to the individual.

I'm sure everything has Pros and Cons, the kit makes it easy for guys who don't have too much talent, but could have been designed better. And for those who can fabricate like no other, James, Stony, Matt... more power to you and your work is really nice.

For us normal brutes, it's something to consider. I'll consider it, or I might even consider making a copy of the tranny mount and re-engineer it better.

Good luck to all of us doing any kind of swap!

Hey guys, if anyone is look for engine mounts, I have a few pairs left. Their made out of billet Alum, It is not a complete kit like Mckinney's, only mounts for the engine, ( I've sold him a set of mine two years ago, maybe he took the dimemsions from that). The reason I did not come up with a tranny mount for the Z is because it will fit all 240,260 and 280z, also you can use any tranny you want, it is not restricted.

Thanks

Rick

Guest JAMIE T

I have Rick's mounts as do alot of the guys on this forum and they are top quality. I had mine anodized clear so they'll stay great looking in the years to come. As for the trans mount...

Has anyone looked at the JTR V8 trans mount. It's formed flat-bar. Not very "trick" but it looks fine and it's functional. I'll probably build a similar mount and attach it to my frame connectors.

Okay, I got the news...

$1150 - Mounts With Driveshaft shipped

$650 - Mounts Without Drivesaft shipped.

That pretty much tells me I'm not going this route, but the pricing might be helpful for you guys.

Next part....

As for the Top Hat Tranny mounts, does anyone want to try it out? If it's $45 bucks, maybe we can help throw together the cost for one mount to see if someone can modify it to fit the Early 240Z. Just an idea.

I have Rick's mounts as do alot of the guys on this forum and they are top quality. I had mine anodized clear so they'll stay great looking in the years to come. As for the trans mount...

Has anyone looked at the JTR V8 trans mount. It's formed flat-bar. Not very "trick" but it looks fine and it's functional. I'll probably build a similar mount and attach it to my frame connectors.

man! having Rick out there with the best mounts I've ever seen, awesome product. I would never buy the Mckinney's kit for that price, it is crazy. If anyone needs excellent mounts PM: skyline240z. No regrets.

Obviously I don't like Mckinney's work. sorry!

Hey guys' date=' if anyone is look for engine mounts, I have a few pairs left. Their made out of billet Alum, It is not a complete kit like Mckinney's, only mounts for the engine, ( I've sold him a set of mine two years ago, maybe he took the dimemsions from that). The reason I did not come up with a tranny mount for the Z is because it will fit all 240,260 and 280z, also you can use any tranny you want, it is not restricted.

Thanks

Rick[/quote']

Rick my friend, you could sell the tranny + mounts kit just for the 240Z, simple as that. i think your prodcut is very competitive for the market. I just got a 260Z and I would have to cut and weld the tunnel for the tranny. only problem I don't have a welder, but let see.

McKinney's 'Kit' could be considered competitively priced if it were to include the mounts listed above, a downpipe, a driveshaft, the intercooler, and the intercooler piping. When I visited their shop (back in January), and spoke with both McKinneys, they were planning on including all these items. If they can do that for $600-$1000 it definately could be considered a good deal.

That being said... Rick's mounts rock.

Rick if you could make a kit persay, I would be on it like White on Rice.

I don't personally have your mounts, but if you could make something like that for an Early Style tranny mount, I would definately be a customer when it comes to that.

Would you consider making tranny mounts?

Rick if you could make a kit persay' date=' I would be on it like White on Rice.

I don't personally have your mounts, but if you could make something like that for an Early Style tranny mount, I would definately be a customer when it comes to that.

Would you consider making tranny mounts?[/quote']

he makes the early model. bold on tranny to the frame rail. this guy is top notch. I still waiting for other products that he offers for the Z, like brackets for the Brembo big red caliper conversion...

hey Rick shoot me an email, would you?