HybridZ

Thinkin about a motorcycle, any advice?

Sparks280zt

Well as you all know gas prices are freakin crazy. They went from 2.65 here to 3.49 in 2 days. My Tacoma only gets like 17 mpg and the Z is about the same. Soooo I heard that most sport bikes get atleast 50 mpg and up. PLus I have always wanted one so why not. Now I have been on dirt bikes alot and my dad did have a motorcycle that I rode a couple times, but it was a Honda Shadow not a street bike. I really dont wanna spend over 5k, I know i wont be able to get a new bike but I should be able to get a descent used one for that price. So im asking what cc should i get and whats a good starter street bike? I would like to have the ability to carry 2 people, so any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

You were asking about my 94 Katana 600 a while back. And as soon as the last o-ring comes in it will be back up and running strong (finally). I had hoped that it would be this weekend but no, that's too much to ask. Since my web space is gone I will upload a pic into my gallery if you would like to have a look.

Guest Aguyandaredhead

May be just a bit outta your price range, but I have a 2005 Honda CBR 600RR that I have put 700 miles on in like 4 months that I am thinking of selling. I just never have time to ride it.. I love it though and I bought it brand new and paid cash so I have a little room to bargin. But I have to warn you that they sticker for around 8700.00 but I got a good deal from a buddy at the Honda dealership.

Ohh and by the way once you put your leg over a sportbike you become invisable. Haha..

Ohh by the way it is in perfect shape, not a mark on it and I have added a few goodies.

Jeff

first thing, take the MSF course. It has many benefits: teach you how to ride on a 250cc bike provided to you, seat time and real experience, final test counts towards DMV motorcycle license, and many insurance companies give discounts for completing the course

http://www.msf-usa.org

second, save up 1k for gear. you will need protective jacket, helmet, gloves, pants and boots. last two are optional, but highly recommended.

third, get a used bike. it'll be cheaper, you won't cry if you drop it (and you probably will, everyone does) like you would with a brand new bike.

I've been riding on/off for 5 years, and just picked up a 2000 yzf600r, which gets 50mpg on average if I don't hammer on the throttle, has about 75-80whp, and is more comfortable than a regular crotchrocket, and can still carve corners very well. I paid 2800 for one in decent shape with 16k miles. I'd recommend it to anyone:

http://www.datsunracing.com/z/yzf

pics in URL above

Thanks guys, Alex I was hoping you would chime in. I only plan on riding this thing around campus and to and from the gym, just small errands, you know the stuff that sucks gas down. I actually looked at a yzf today at the dealer, it was used and they wanted $3100 for it. Thanks for the offer Aguyandaredhead but your right, it is outta my price range.

Here, hopefully this will help you out when buying a used bike:

http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

Keep in mind, when buying a helmet make sure it fits snug and tight. it will loosen up after a while, like a broken in baseball glove. When fitting, your face should be tight in it to a point where if you move the helmet around, the skin on your face moves with the helmet. But not tight enough to where it's painful to your face. Keep in mind that you're basically putting a value on your head: cheap helmet = crap for ventilation, comfort, safety, etc. I recommend Shoei or Arai. I've owned both and both served their purpose very well.

A ninja250 is a great starter bike, you can find them dirt cheap. They're slow, but great commuters. It's a v-twin 250cc, with 25hp and 14 ft lbs of torque. Runs 15.5 in quarter mile.

Another good one is a ninja 500 or suzuki gs500. Suzuki sv650 is a great bike for comfort, handling and beginner power, if you want to step up to a bigger v-twin.

Guest Battle Pope
25hp and 14 ft lbs of torque. Runs 15.5 in quarter mile.

Wow. sounds like most Hondas I know. only difference is the out-of-character quick quarter mile time. :lol:

LOL. I've been in an integra that ran 11.8 at the track... and it was teh guy's daily driver. t3/4 hybrid, stand alone, built 1.8 liter LS block, about 450hp. All I remember is that by the time we got off the offramp onto the freeway, we were at 125... and it was still pulling really really hard, as fast as my bike

I love my honda cbr 954 .. But it is alot of bike. A... i dunno 94-96 600 katana is cheap and semi disposable, easy to handle and enough power in the top end to give you an excessive thrill. All i have to say is respect the machine.. Think of it like... Bull riding inside a HUGE blender.

Joe

My advice, having ridden for more than twenty years....DON'T RIDE TWO-UP (meaning with passenger). ESPECIALLY if you are a novice rider. Even with the MSF course, and I think that you'd be foolish not to take it, you will lack the experience to safely handle 'emergency situations' with someone else on the back. If you want the responsibility of their well-being when other drivers in cars aren't looking for you......

Most serious long term cyclists will tell you that crashes ARE going to happen. It is not a question of "If", it is a question of "When". Therefore the recommendation earlier of budgeting $1k for safety equipment was very sound. Skin grafts are extremely painful, and extremely expensive. So, riding to 'the gym' in your tank top is just plain dumb.

As far as bikes, I have owned all of the major manufacturers bikes (including HD), and I am very partial to Honda. You won't beat their engineering and reliability. Don't know what size you are; but, find a bike that you can comfortably reach the ground...not 'tippy toes'. For the usage that you mentioned, you will probably be perfectly happy with around 500cc.

My .02

Another vote here for the Yamaha YZF 600, great bikes (I've owned 4 different bikes). Good gloves, good helmet, and good boots. I layed a FZR down @ 80mph on chip and seal pavement and walked away (totaled bike). People will pull out in front of you, cut you off, and in general piss you off EXPECT IT TO HAPPEN.

I'm suprised no one has said anything about an SV650. It is my understanding that they are one of the best bikes to learn on.

As the old saying goes, if you have a $10 head, then buy a $10 helmet. Buy a cheaper bike and pay more for the safety gear. All my girlfriend's brothers swear by armored Vanson leathers with titanium knuckled gloves, shin gaurds, riding boots, etc... The oldest brother was hit head on at 40 miles an hour and only broke his leg, because there was a seperation between his boots and his shin gaurds. Had he been wearing his longer, proper riding boots, there would not have been a gap and he would have been fine. I even think they know someone with an industrial sewing machine and sew in what is basically a bullet proof vest.

Just my 2 cents

I'm in the same boat - the Titan gets in the mid to low teens and the Z isn't much better. I'm currently trying to find a new V-Strom 650. Low insurance rates (it's considered a dual purpose), V-twin power and good looks. Any owners out there?

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/ProductDisplay.aspx?modelCode=DL1000K5&activeSection=OVERVIEW

Bryan

Dat240zg

your a pretty big guy. I would say the least bike you need is a 600, and it might be a little small for you. I would say look into like a gsx-r 750 or something similar. I would prolly go ahead and get a 1000cc. But thats only if you can be responsible and control your urges, you can get into serious trouble on a 1000. I had a cbr600f3 and a cbr600f4 I love both but the aluminum framed bikes are sooooo much better. 600 was PLENTY fast for me but i weigh like 160 so lol...