auxilary

car weekend before it was dismantled for the project:

abe.jpg

Gallery of Z modifications here:

http://www.datsunracing.com/gallery/240z

Progress that I kept of the rotary swap here:

http://www.rotaryz.com

Long story short:

I have no ambition or motivation to finish the project. I'm tired, I feel like I'm no longer interested in cars. The friend that instigated the idea of a rotary and volunteered his services and aid to the project hasn't helped me in over a year. I've done a rough spreadsheet to see what I spent on parts so far for the conversion, and it's over 12k so far. The Z by itself cost me 4k. I am sure I'm missing probably 1-2k in parts that I can't find the receipts for, or don't recall the item itself.

So what I want is for someone to take it off my hands for a good (to me) deal.

The good:

-california car, 95% rust free. Rust was in the passenger seat frame rail, I cut it out, haven't replaced it. Will include bulk steel rails (a LOT of them, about 18 feet) to make rails, subframe connectors, etc. nickel size surface rust spot in rear hatch. That's it.

-all suspension is done. comes with new 225/50/15 es100 tires and light ronal wheels. tokico illuminas/gc coilovers, blah blah, toyota 4x4 vented swap, almost finished rear 240sx swap, rollbar. Currently has suspension techniques rear 3/4" sway (not msa 7/8)

-3.7 r200 lsd. nuff said

-almost all parts are there to finish the swap. you'll need some AN fittings, lines, waterpump, custom driveshaft, and of course, assemble it

-fuel rails modified with 6an fittings, configured for parallel setup with return to FPR

-the difficult part of designing the mount, modifying the engine with correct parts from other rotaries to make it work with front mount is all done. It bolts to the front crossmember via solid mount (rotaries don't oscillate, so they don't vibrate)

-fuelcell box is built and installed.

the bad:

-5% rust mentioned above

-car is completely apart, but can be easily assembled into a rolling chassis to load up and tow. I suggest having a BIG truck to haul the rest of the parts out.

the ugly:

-engine bay is stripped of paint. You'll have to finish cleaning and painting it

-battery tray is cut out. mostly.

I'll also throw in the rotaryz.com domain.

I will sell either the whole car with everything, just the engine/tranny combo with everything (keep the car, use v8 ), or take a trade on something of equal value... like a used mazda3 s-trim, or LS1 powered 240z. Not interested in parting it out bit by bit, so don't ask me if I'll sell you the LSD or the rollbar.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been "not working on it for a while" for... a while. Problem is that I don't have a garage of my own, so I borrow one from my parents. I can't weld in there either, which makes things a tad difficult

I was pondering selling it about a year ago and do a v8 swap. In fact, Tim was interested in the rotary for his opel, and we joked about trading LT1 for wankel.

Guest 240Zdragon72

Don't do it man! You have done all that work. Although it is a bitch thing that you "friend" who put you up to it is not helping you. It would be a damn shame if you sell it. No one will be able to appreceate it like you. Just think about it, she will be fast and relyable. Sleep on it.

Wow. So beautiful, its a shame that it hasnt been given time to get finished. I know where you are coming from, with your friend not helping you. If I could, I would take the car off of your hands and treat it like it should be treated. But I cant, so all I can say, is good luck. Im sure which ever decision you make, will be the right one (the best one).

I loose intrest all the time, but that does not stop me from finishing a project. I force myself and somehow always find a reward for doing so. My god man, look at the excellent work you have done so far and the documentation. I really like reading your posts and respect your skills. Take 2 asprin and sleep on it.

I loose intrest all the time, but that does not stop me from finishing a project. I force myself and somehow always find a reward for doing so. My god man, look at the excellent work you have done so far and the documentation. I really like reading your posts and respect your skills. Take 2 asprin and sleep on it.

totally agree!! I also loose interest all the time...the car will sit, problems with parts, constantly modifying things in hope that it might just work, one thing after another. But I always remember just how satisfying the car was when she was ugly split pea green and running a relatively stock 2.4. when your without something for so long you naturally wonder why your doing what your doing. I cant really speak for you Aux, but when i think about selling my car to get a mini-S, I realize how much money i'm going to loose, All the time I've spent on it using my hands and my skills, and I think about how much fun these cars really are. sometimes you just have get over your lack of motivation and go out there to work on the car, I always find that when I start making real progress I take a step back and reminisce about how much joy the car has brought me in the past, and even though I am at a low spot now, how much joy the car will bring me WELL into the future....If I just work on the car and make things happen.

get up early one day, clean up your work space, get the priority list out and get to work. Sometimes the work may seem insurmountable, maybe over all you have way too much work left on the car, but maybe you can rearrange the to do list so that the car can atleast be driven and enjoyed while you finish other things that you don't truly need to finish.

If I was in Cali I would love to donate my time to help you finish your car.

dare I ask about what you'd be expecting for the whole thing? I'm still considering selling my car to buy another project.

I've invested probably over 17k into the car (car cost, suspension, parts, etc), and I'd like to at least get 70% of the value if possible. I know it's a lot to reach for since it's unfinished and not even running, but 11-12k is what I'd want for everything, and I mean everything.

I'd rather sell it to someone as a whole set rather than part it out piece by piece

What a downer. I blame Mark with all the "Toro" cracks.

WTF?

Don't be a PUSS Alex, like your girl friend says, "finish what you start!"

Go and rent a storage unit with electrical and then weld or tow it to the welder...

You're farther along than me, I'm still in the parts collecting stage. :redface:

Besides, I made no "Toro" remarks, I merely called it a "blender motor", you know like a Proctor Silex! :mrgreen:

Mark