HybridZ

Pick'n'Pull is becoming a RIPP OFF!!!!

crazy280

So I went to the Pick'n'Pull in Richmond today and found a '79 280zx distributor for my 240z. I nearly sh!t my pants when they charged me $50 for the damn thing! I was pretty surprised at the price, because I've been to plenty of J/Y's and would expect something like a dizzy to sell for like twenty bucks. The price broke down like this: $31 for the bare dizzy, $3 for the cap, $3 for the vacuum advance, $6 core charge, and $7 or so in tax/envir. charges. BULLSH!T. I would have just walked but I needed the part ASAP. I think the guy at the window was just a jerk, because he tried to charge me for the ignition module on the side of the distributor, and I had to explain to him that it was PART of the dizzy, and it wouldn't function without it (what a dumbass). I think Pick'n'Pull is raising prices now that they put all the mom and pop J/Y's out of business and there's less competition. Maybe it's just this one........anyone else having this problem?

Yep, it's happening all over. I usually take the module off in the yard and put it in my pocket or whatever. It sometimes depends on the mood of the guy behind the counter. If you start talking like you know everything(you probably know more than them, but that doesn't matter), they will be a jerk.

My younger brother is working at a local pick and pull yard so I have a hook-up but they are like car parts Nazi's watching over the operation and putting all sorts of stipulations in place to make it difficult for the employees to give people deals.

Yep' date=' it's happening all over. I usually take the module off in the yard and put it in my pocket or whatever. It sometimes depends on the mood of the guy behind the counter. If you start talking like you know everything(you probably know more than them, but that doesn't matter), they will be a jerk.

My younger brother is working at a local pick and pull yard so I have a hook-up but they are like car parts Nazi's watching over the operation and putting all sorts of stipulations in place to make it difficult for the employees to give people deals.[/quote']

Well, it's interesting that you admit to stealing.....wonder if that's one of the reasons for uping their prices???

Modules have always been sketchy. Some places charge for the module some don't. I don't think your "it won't work without the module" argument holds. Same is true for a 280Z, but since the module is inside the car it's probably not gonna fly on that one. I think I've paid as little as $20 and as much as $50, but for whatever reason I don't feel ripped off paying $50. $7 for "environmental" charges for a distributor, that I'd take issue with. And you could have pulled the vacuum diaphragm, not like you ever find a car in the JY with a working diaphragm anyway.

More often than not, you're better off to go to a parts store and spend about 25% more for a new, reman, or repro part that comes with a warranty.

Reman distributor = they shot it with brake cleaner and put it in a box. Some parts are worth buying reman, some are not. I'd buy a JY distributor anyday.

somthing like that happened to me i went to a PNP and i was getting a dizzy and so was a guy infront of me and the guys said it will be like 35 or somthing and get this it was HALF OFF DAY! i dropped the dizzy and got out of there. then i went to a pull your part a little while away and they only had 15% off that day and for a dizzy and some hose they charged me 30 bucks. i really think all the price matters on the mood of the teller.

I think it was just the cashier being a d!ck....and yeah I felt stupid when I looked at the receipt, cause I didn't even need the vacuum advance or the cap, and I didn't realize I was being charged extra for them until I checked the receipt, so that's 6 bucks for nothing dammit. That's what I get for being in a hurry. Oh well, I'm not going back there until prices come back down again. I haven't been up to the Fairfeild one or the Oakland one in a while, anyone know how bad they are, or are they all the same these days? Maybe I'll have Slownrusty send me some cheap parts from Colorado Springs? LOL

(BTW this was Richmond, Cali)

Removing the module, I don't consider that stealing. You said yourself it should come with it. I agree 100%. So they are trying to steal from me for trying to get paid for it. You're just mad 'cause you didn't think of it, LOL. (J/K). I've gotten great deals from the pic and pulls, other times I've felt like I'd been hosed. I prefer to not get hosed.

I haven't been up to the Fairfield one or the Oakland one in a while, anyone know how bad they are, or are they all the same these days?

I spent my birthday this year at the Fairfield P&P with Larry, a.k.a. COZY-Z-COLE. It was half price day for everyone. That was mighty nice of them to honor my birthday that way.

I thought the prices were great. It was actually like... half price. Go figure? The cashiers couldn't identify the parts really well though. Maybe that helped. Z rear ends don't look like Chevy rear ends so they were a little confused. They do have a tendancy to add supplimental charges faster than a failing bank though. I think it's funny that they want to charge you for a "warranty". It's a dang junk yard for Pete's sake! Keep your 40% extra "warranty" charge. I know I'm buying a bunch of old crap. I'll take my chances with cash and carry, thank you very much.

pnp in california(of mexifornia) is getting to be a ripoff.that core charge is a rip off.who ever brings anything back.maybe if you spoke spanish you might get a break.the last time i was out looking for a240sx tps(they were all gone)i found a 87 300zxt complete.i returned 2 days later for the diff and the whole car was gone.sometimes i just pay somebody to pull the parts for me.i sent an apprentice at work out there for a diesel crank on 1/2 price day.it was worth the $80 i paid not to wrestle with nasty black diesel oily junk.

IMHO best JYs in norcal are in rancho cordova. I remember seeing about 20 240-280z there at one time which was pretty good, i live in oakland and it is worth the trip. The one in richmond is gardbadge, thought i was gunna get mugged too. But the one in San leandro/Oakland is too small. So your kind of stuck with the richmond one. Try newerk maybe? Also one in Hayward near depot road i went there it is ho humm not too many datsuns but then again I was looking for the 300zx turbo rear end, like i was really going to find it...

I frequent the P-n-Ps in the Bay Area, and I am certain that the pricing 'can' be very subjective based upon attitude (yours AND theirs). I have been charged several different prices for the exact same part on different days.

I won't go to the Richmond yard...there was a shooting in front of it last time I went...don't need cheap parts that bad, plus it becomes too tedious trying to keep one eye locked on my tools!

Rancho Cordova is pretty much the mecca. Then again, several years back the San Jose P-n-Ps had a pretty healthy inventory of early Z cars.

I visited the Monrovia p-n-p (east of LA) the other week - my first visit to a self-serve junkyard in about two years. There was only one Z in the entire yard (a 280Z).

You folks in California are lucky to have p-n-p junkyards. Here in Ohio they're extinct. That said, prices for used parts are definitely going up. This is strange, considering that prices for new or remanufactured parts at Autozone-type stores seem to be stagnating, or even declining. Would this be a consequence of Chinese manufacturing?

Forget sticking it in your pocket, get a dizzy holder.

36118.gif

Or a brake MC holder, or an ignition module holder, or a....:-)

"Use when working with paint, on cars, or any other dirty job. Keeps hands clean even under the worst conditions. Each is dusted to prevent sticking, but can be wiped off with rubbing alcohol if desired. Gloves fit either hand and come packed in a tissue-box type dispenser."

Should say, "Box is perfectly sized for a distributor, brake master cylinder, RX7 ignitor/coils, throttle bodies and more!"