HybridZ

Yet another blown Fel-Pro head gasket...

PhaTTy

Well.. 2 out of 2 fel-pro head gaskets.. both blown and passing water thru the exhaust via a hole in the gasket between 4 and 5 cylinders at around 5000-6000rpm. This time though the gasket lasted an entire day before it blew while tuning it.

Any suggestions? I am running a F54 block with a N47 head (previous head was a P90 that it blew it on).

I am getting very frustrated with this cursed car and need something that isn't going to blow.. at least not in the first 50 miles of driving.

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

I don't know how many times I have warned people about shittyazz FelPro.The sealing ring is half the wiidth of a stock factory head gasket.

Get a NAPA Victor Reinz Head GAsket or a Factory one.

ALso check you head for warpage before you just bolt the head back on.

Later,Norm

thanks for the responses. I will probably go with a 1mm metal gasket once I get around to it. I don't think it is a head/block problem since this is a completely different F54 block and different head model than it blew it with before. I contacted AutoZone and found out that Fel-Pro is no longer selling the gasket for the L28 (at least for '76 and '83 that I checked) and cannot be special ordered either.. maybe Fel-Pro got smart finally and realized their products are trash :)

NAPA makes good stuff, but I figure nothing would be better than a metal except for a copper o-ring setup which is insanely too much overkill.

Keep the ideas/comments coming guys. thx

edit - on second thought.. how good is the NAPA Victor Reinz gasket?

i went through 2 felpros... 1st it was so bad i messed up my deck.. sucked.

i would check the levelness also and see whats up.. its easy to check and while your at it why not.

nissan is way better, but nissan nismo metal is even better :).

happy boosting!

mike

']I don't know how many times I have warned people about shittyazz FelPro.The sealing ring is half the wiidth of a stock factory head gasket.

Get a NAPA Victor Reinz Head GAsket or a Factory one.

ALso check you head for warpage before you just bolt the head back on.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw this thread. Fel-Pro = failure prone in my book. Nissan or Stone is the one to use IME. The metal gaskets are fine too but probably not necessary for a NA car.

EDIT--And its ALWAYS the guy who says that you HAVE to use Fel-Pro who also says that Z's are notorious for leaky head gaskets. Coincidence? I think not...

That's exactly what I thought when I saw this thread. Fel-Pro = failure prone in my book. Nissan or Stone is the one to use IME. The metal gaskets are fine too but probably not necessary for a NA car.

EDIT--And its ALWAYS the guy who says that you HAVE to use Fel-Pro who also says that Z's are notorious for leaky head gaskets. Coincidence? I think not...

Lol. I personally would go with the metal gaskets. Its better safe than sorry, and I hate doing the same job twice when I don't need to.

PhaTTy, are you n/a or turbo? (just was wondering due to the P90 reference)

When the gasket has let go, what were you doing? Were you driving it hard, or were these easy break in miles? What torque did you use on the headbolts?

I too tend to believe that you may have an issue w/ the block surface after going through 2 different heads.

BTW, if this is a turbo car, then you may be going the wrong way with your compression ( N47 and 1mm gasket ), depending on the boost pressure you are trying to run...

Regards,

mike

Its N/A as of now.. the turbo setup will have an entire new engine built from the ground up. I torqued to spec in three increments finally ending at 68 ft lbs i think (not sure but its whatever the FSM said). I had it around 5000-5500 rpm in 3rd gear when I heard the pop and water started dumping.

Keep in mind I have been thru 2 different blocks and 2 different heads. First blown gasket was with my first F54 block w/ P90 head. This second one blew on a second F54 block with a N47 head.

I checked NAPA and they have the Victor gasket for $70 something but it has to be ordered and I just don't have enough time to get it all done before I move back to Cali from AZ in 4 days :(

Aaron

PhaTTy' date=' are you n/a or turbo? (just was wondering due to the P90 reference)

When the gasket has let go, what were you doing? Were you driving it hard, or were these easy break in miles? What torque did you use on the headbolts?

I too tend to believe that you may have an issue w/ the block surface after going through 2 different heads.

BTW, if this is a turbo car, then you may be going the wrong way with your compression ( N47 and 1mm gasket ), depending on the boost pressure you are trying to run...

Regards,

mike[/quote']

Guest bastaad525

I too have had nothing but bad luck with Felpro gaskets in all but one application, and that is the valve cover. I LOVE their valve cover gasket, and have never had problems with it except maybe that they can be hard to remove if they've been on for a long time, but not really worse than any other gasket. They are INFINITELY easier to deal with than a cork gasket + silicone though.

Other than that, I have failed two felpro head gaskets, three felpro oil pan gaskets, and two felpro intake/exhaust manifold gaskets.

On all three, I have had the surfaces checked and found no warpage. I did recently replace the oil pan gasket AGAIN and it seems to be holding up this time. For head gasket I went Nissan stock, running 12-14psi of boost on it and have had no problems... from now on I will get Nissan parts if at all possible, except for the valve cover.

Be advised, the brown PTFE coated head gasket did not static seal on my N42; coolant leaked on plug side when topping off even b4 being started. It did not stick when removed. I believe it was NAPA, since ordered another and it was identical.

I replaced it with an original Nissan part that was in my junk box, the one with all the contact adhesive and it sealed fine.

The Stone furnished in the MSA kit and a dealer supplied one ($58 special order) are all graphite with no adhesive.

Apparently no longer source for orig asbestos with adhesive version.

Meanwhile, what happened to Cometec lot buy?

According to a Nissan mechanic friend of mine the graphite gasket is what you want for a non-metal gasket. The problem supposedly is that the head and the block are different materials so they expand at different rates. Since the Fel-Pro doesn't have any lubricant on it, the head and block expansion and contraction grinds on the gasket and eventually is the cause of the failure. The lubed gaskets allow the two surfaces to expand without grinding on the gasket surface.

I can't say if that is REALLY the reason, but it is the reason that has been given to me, fits well into my puny brain, and also fits my personal experience.

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

I run two Victor Reinz head gaskets on my setup sprayed with Copper Sealant on all sides and have had no issues with water leakage or cylinder sealing at 10.7:1 CR.

Later,Norm