HybridZ

Ran my car on the dyno today...

Chris240zTurbo

Phil, bring it on! i just bought a house, on the "outskirts" of fort worth, north west side, with a 30x40 metal horse barn, and I will not rest until it's full of datsuns!!! JK, but I do finally have some land, 2.8 acres, and neighbors far enough away that noone will get too pissed at an unmuffled car! not like houston, when I was in the burbs, and on3go, and Hickl (SBC 280Z) used to PO the nieghbors!!!

seriously though, come to a cowtown zcar club meeting if you're able, second thursday of every month, the advice flows pretty freely!, in fact, I'm going to be building an L-28 for Tim Schorn (78 280 turbo) in the near future and might try to do a cowtown tech session at my new digs, also talk to Phamtom, the prez!!!

...The Baddazz Z project is already in the works, just taking a little time to stand this new company up... Won't be getting rid of the Vette though, not for now anyway...

BTW, that grey Z with the five stars in Clifton's avitar above is just SWEET... Nice clean and no chrome other than the wheels... Love the look! :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

Based on the work John C. and others have done, and the power they've achieved with the L series motor, I'd not go any other route, if I wasn't a V8 guy... The ability to build safe power that is reasonably competitive, and the factory parts available, and the aftermarket parts available to fortefy the bottom end of the motor, I'd do the L6 over some of these other options... Although the Sr20DET is another motor I like for its size.

Mike

chris.. i didnt piss the neighbors off too much..

yeah my z was loud but i think what pissed them off the most was when we did the little auto-x in the scion around your neighborhood :D

now that was fun :)

BTW.. pm your number, i lost it again as i dropped my cell phone in a big oil bucket at work :( im on number 4 phone right now.

mike

Chris, Most often the fans used to force air into the engine bay aren't strong enough (Even the super duty high velocity units sold specifically for it) to get enough fresh air (Not stagnent from sitting to far back in a shop bay door) into the area required to see the most optimal numbers.

I talked with a local Dyno Operator and got the O.K. "to bring my own fan" since they only had a puny air mover on a pedestal stand.

I loaded up an old stripped down SWAMP COOLER fan. It was a window mount unit, so had legs and a discharge oriented the right way---I made a duct to go to my G-Nose and slid it up to the front of the car and turned it on High. This was some big honkin fan! It also helped that I resized the sheaves to max out the amperage the motor turned, so I was getting something like 5500 cubic feet a minute out of the thing. It worked really well, and cost me scrap parts and a $5 belt from Home depot.

The dyno operator liked it so much He gave me two free hours if I let him keep it! So he kept it, and then went bankrupt... LOL Maybe he didn't have the best business head.

Anyway, in the southwest old LARGE whole-house swamp coolers are a KILLER source for a high volume cooler with an output duct size that almost exactly matches the frontal area of a Z so making a directional duct is relatively easy, and you don't have to screw with so long in between runs waiting to "cool down". Mine was critical since we wanted to do some "hood down" runs to see if some heat shielding was going to work. It also gave me (roughly) the same airflow I figured I would be getting at 60mph, so it made it easier for some load point work that we did programming the ecu. It seemed to really keep the car decently cool---far longer than the stupid pedestal mounted fan would have done----which basically blows air on the engine and the dyno operator to keep him from sweating too much!

Just a thought, you might want to try that...

What kills me is guys pony up to buy a dyno and then DON'T finish it off with the right cooling, and position the unit so it isn't close enough to fresh air... In the winter, this is an "OK" solution. In the summer, you are guarenteed to get lower numbers, which would be ok, but you also lose out on ANY real tuning solutions that will remain after the car is out on the street.

Mike

There is a reason why I have TWO 14,000 cfm fans in my shop for cars on the dyno... The dyno came with 1 of them actually. (which is what you get when you buy a quality machine) And I got a second one as well. I've seen everything from leaf blowers to household oscillating fans used. :shock:

Honestly if your dyno operator doesn't take this aspect seriously, and have the equipment to match... look for another place to dyno your car.

There's only two places where I fear for the safety of my Z's.

1. The Dragstrip

2. The Dyno

Almost nowhere else will you put the kind of strain on the system in such a short period of time as you will in these two scenarios.

Sparks280ZT - Yes, except for the K&N intake and the headers and the ECU being retuned to 2002 parameters the LS1 is totally stock. Not only that it is a '98 model which was one of the weakest of the bunch. Had a kid at Sam's Club this weekend that owns a Camaro SS try to talk me into a new set of heads that would boost it to around 400 WHP. If the L6 guys embarrass me enough I may opt for that. Right now, however, the car runs just too well - and reliably - to seriously plan for any engine mods.

For those interested, the Cowtown Club website is www.CowtownZClub.org. You can get information on the club, check out our forum, look up our next meeting time & location and even see photos of some of our cars in the gallery. Chris' isn't there, though. So far he's been kind of camera shy.

There's only two places where I fear for the safety of my Z's.

1. The Dragstrip

2. The Dyno

Almost nowhere else will you put the kind of strain on the system in such a short period of time as you will in these two scenarios.

I have to disagree, they dyno really isn't that hard on the car in comparison to drag racing. (or any racing for that matter) You have no shock loading, no slipping clutches, no violent launches, etc. You're a lot gentler on the car on the dyno than you are on the track, be it autocross, drag, or road course...

• 10 months later...
Sparks280ZT - Yes' date=' except for the K&N intake and the headers and the ECU being retuned to 2002 parameters the LS1 is totally stock. Not only that it is a '98 model which was one of the weakest of the bunch. Had a kid at Sam's Club this weekend that owns a Camaro SS try to talk me into a new set of heads that would boost it to around 400 WHP. If the L6 guys embarrass me enough I may opt for that. Right now, however, the car runs just too well - and reliably - to seriously plan for any engine mods.

For those interested, the Cowtown Club website is www.CowtownZClub.org. You can get information on the club, check out our forum, look up our next meeting time & location and even see photos of some of our cars in the gallery. Chris' isn't there, though. So far he's been kind of camera shy.

dont even worry about the heads yet, especially on a ls1

get a good cam for it and you will gain 50whp, and only cost you a few hundred bucks, plus give you that gnarly lopy idle

I am still with my lt1 but have been contemplating a 2jz swap recently with all these turbo guys running around making huge power, its just too easy

I am still with my lt1 but have been contemplating a 2jz swap recently with all these turbo guys running around making huge power, its just too easy

Turbo that LT1, as good as 2JZ's are you have another 2.7 liters. You could make as much as they do, but on pump gas and less boost.