HybridZ

930 CV Jointed shafts finished

blueovalz

Finally, after talking and thinking about this for 10 years I finally reached another personal milestone. The Porsche 930 CV jointed halfshafts are finished (yeah, I know, it's like killing a mosquito with a 5 lb sledge, but I just HAD to try it). When I test install these, I'm going to move the differential toward the drivers side by about 1" to line up the driveshaft U-joints. I think this is where my vibration is as nothing else has been found to cause it (it's about 5º off from straight back and have always wanted to line this plane up but the halfshaft lengths prevented me from doing it).

standard.jpg

What are the end pieces in the pic? I mean, what is this going in? I have been working on Porcshe CV adapters too. Mine are for the 280Z stub axles and the CV flanges used on a 720 truck front R180 diff. These will go into my 71 240Z. Do you have drawings are pictures of these adapters alone? I think this is the best option for CV conversion. They are very strong, plentiful and cheap. Also, they are shorter than the ZX tulips which means the boot clears the sway-bar link through full articulation.

NEVERMIND, I went to your gallery and saw them. They look very close to my design. Great minds think alike...

If you line up the driveshaft to be exactly in line with the trans and there is no angle in any direction, you will destroy the u-joints. They must have an agle to be able to operate. The CV's look really nice. I've never heard, or thought of using them but my 240 is pretty stock and wouldn't benefit from it. Nice job.

If you line up the driveshaft to be exactly in line with the trans and there is no angle in any direction, you will destroy the u-joints. They must have an agle to be able to operate. The CV's look really nice. I've never heard, or thought of using them but my 240 is pretty stock and wouldn't benefit from it. Nice job.
That's not necessarily true. In theory, Ujoints will operate better if there is an angle b/c the bearings will roll (back and forth) and lubrication flow will be improved. But this is, as far as I can find, merely theory, subject to debate.

For example, if the ujoint was truly mounted in a perfectly straight orientation, then it's not being "used" at all. Therefore, the bearings wouldn't roll and would not wear at all.

Regardless, it's nice to see an update from Terry. He's like an engineering "found object" artist, making use of various junk-yard parts to achieve state of the art results.

These arguments are valid ones indeed (driveshaft arguments). Even with the cage, the chassis still flexes, so theres no way I'll eleminate the joints. Even with the differential moved 1" over, it will not be perfectly aligned but it will be a lot better than it is now (and besides, the vertical plane is not perfect either). Combining the vertical and horizontal shifts, I'm well into the 6º shift, and I'm not comfortable with that.

...it's nice to see an update from Terry. He's like an engineering "found object" artist, making use of various junk-yard parts to achieve state of the art results.

Ditto on that.

Terry, those CVs look truly brutal; a real thing of beauty. Are the 930 CVs all that plentiful or cheap???? For a one time deal, this might be the thing to do, but I'm looking at this from a cost/benefit standpoint. Just curious.

Davy

The cost/benefit ratio is questionable. The CV joint by themselves are about $80+/joint. The axle shafts were very reasonable (about $170 for both) and the machine work on the adapters could have been cheaper (I piece-mealed the adapters to ensure the first run would work, which made the maching price a bit more expensive). These assemblies were not a "must have" item, but more of a "can I do this?" item (much like the rear toe-adjuster from last year). This particular set is made with a salvage 930 axle set ($350 for used but decent CVs and Boots), about $400 in machine work, and about $110 (used) for axles, and another $20 for bolts.

Advantages:

1) These joints are used a lot in small car racing and can be purchased easily. The inner and outer joint are the same part, as well as the boots and axles. The Nissian stuff is nearly impossible to find for the ZXT, and I suspect this will be the case for the Z31/Z32 in the future as well.

2) They are nearly indestructable (which negates point 1 above) and should never need to be replaced. These joints take a 25º offset (50º swing) without any problem. I'm playing with an idea of a 400 cid motor, and figure the joints may need to be beefed up a bit.

3) With the adapters made for the Z (any Z), these assemblies will fit the 240 and the 280 companion flanges (so if I should ever use a 280 axle, these will work just as well)

Disadvantages:

1) They are a few pounds heavier than the Nissian shafts

2) If something breaks in back, it will be an axle or a differential instead of the shafts :-(

The front of the driveshaft in my 240 is a cv joint while the back is a u-joint. Dont know how it got that way as it was already there when I bought the car.

About driveshaft angles - the manufacturers (at least the ones I've talked to) will tell you that you need a little angle otherwise they will not live. I'm not talking theory here just what the manufacturers say. Also, the angles should be equal front and back otherwise you can get vibration and reduced lives. If you are moving the diff around you should consider trying to make the angles equal front and back which should help the vibration issue if they are not the same now. I've not played around with this just going by the manufacturers recommendations.

Cameron