HybridZ

Thoughts on these coilovers

I think i would rather go with a trusted brand like GC than someone who just pops on ebay with a "ricer" looking ad. They advertise the advantage to coilovers as being "You can also customize the hight as needed for wheel sizes as well as weather conditions". They make no mention of corner balancing, which is the REAL advantage to coilovers with threaded sleeves and adjustable perches. Basically, you can see what they were thinking about when they designed the product.

Email I recieved:

Yes, the springs are including as a complete set. The spring rate is 8kg/mm = 448lbs/in Heavy Duty front and rear. You can also have choice of 10kg/mm = 560lbs/in Racing Sport setup for additional charge. If like to have lightweight springs please advice also available for 6kg/mm = 335lbs/in upon special request.

We value your business. If you have any questions or concerns, please be sure to let us know.

Feel FREE to visit our site at: http://www.cosmoracing.com

It is EASY, FAST and SAFE and we accept most of CARDS Payment Online and Money Order.

Thanks,

Paul

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I doubt it's driveable on the street!

Mario

Yes it is lb/in and it means X lbs = 1 inch compression, so a 250 lb spring would compress 1 inch with 250 lbs sitting on it. The better springs on the market are close to linear which means that a 250 lb spring would require 500 lbs to compress it 2 inches etc. so if you have 4 inches of travel it will take 1000 lbs to compress it all the way.

On my car I run 300 lb springs in the back and 250 lb springs in the front and my car is quite stiff I could not imagine running springs that are on the plus side of 400 lbs on anything short of a smooth race track, on the street that would beat you to death.

Dragonfly

I know it's my own prejudice, but I wouldn't buy anything from anyone in the US who advertised kg/mm rates. That is a sure fire sign that they are full on ricers. Plus look at those spring rates. Anyone who really knows Z's knows that you need some pretty hefty chassis stiffening to run those springs. The whole thing reeks of "dorifto" stupidity in my prejudiced opinion.

Guest Dorifto
The whole thing reeks of "dorifto" stupidity in my prejudiced opinion.
Ouch ... can we replace that with RICER? :twak::mrgreen:

I'm going to go with 2003z, and say rock the MM coilovers. I'm saving up for those bad-boys for my 280ZX track project.

say rock the MM coilovers. I'm saving up for those bad-boys for my 280ZX
Same here, and those springs sound insane. I mean Tickwon said his spring rates were 200 front and 225 rear, and he said his was stiff and that accel squat was very minimal. So doubling those numbers would probably be rediculously stiff. I am guessing on this though. Anyone else, list your 280zx spring rates. By the way what are the stock spring rates?

Yeah I would just pass up that deal on Ebay, sounds like ricers, go with names you can trust, ModernMotorsports or Ground Control. I've got my doubts about Techno Toy Tuning too, I've never heard of their products, not seen anyone use them, hence I'm unsure of their product quality.

Wrong again. Torque is force TIMES distance NOT force DIVIDED by distance.

When i specified up there i ment a few posts up... not my own post. So torquioning fasteners in/lbs and springs lb/in. Unless you are saying i am wrong because the use of the / sign, i mean it the same as a hyphen or whatever other seperator you like... sorry.