HybridZ

SR20DET in a MGB

srgunz

i dont think putting modern tech into an old car especially an mgb would be worth the money.

Worth the money?!?!?!!? Who cares, unless its the most rare car in the world, if it can be hybrid with a cool motor I say do it, screw the cost you'll never get your money out most cars we can afford anyways. Some people make that same statement about HybridZ doesn't seem to stop people from doing it, Purist Soap Box preaching blows. Or maybe you're forgetting your on a hybrid site :P .

Tyson

P.S. I love that, I've always had a thing for the MGB's.

Yeah, i like mgb's too, it was one of the cars i was considering getting actually, but i finally decided on the z, i feel i made the right choice ;)

Yeah the Z comes first, I see a MGB as being a good low budget car. But then again most my ideas aren't low budget :P

Tyson

I don't get it... Someone posts that pic on a CLASSIC motorsports site? Guys, that would be like going to a catholic church to worship the devil... :roll:

Don't get me wrong, I hate the purist mentality when it comes to the negative comments about engine swaps... But I don't go to those sites to try to convince them they are wrong and to try to "show them the path of the rightious ones!" :lmao:

And to the poster above, I've seen Zcars that weren't worth $50 have THOUSANDS dumped into them... It's called choice. If someone wants to max out their credit and spend their kids college fund polishing a turd, it's their choice...

Mike :cool:

And to the poster above' date=' I've seen Zcars that weren't worth $50 have THOUSANDS dumped into them... It's called choice. If someone wants to max out their credit and spend their kids college fund polishing a turd, it's their choice...

Mike :cool:[/quote']

If I'm that above poster I must say I agree with you. IMO thats more than half the fun. I love hyrbrids, if I had an old ferrari and could afford it why not put in a New ferrari engine :) . Thats why I hang out on this site for about 8hrs (not an exagerating) because nobody does the the purist thing, but then again thats my opinion and my choice.

Tyson

Damn, looks like that engine was supposed to be in there all along. Ya know.. the SR20 is one the best looking little 4 bangers I've seen. MGB would kick *** as a DD, hehe.

I do agree though.. Not so sure why it was posted on a site aimted at classic motorsports. Would be about the same as coming here and posting your all-stock and original Z with a large disclaimer about how you hate engine swaps and despise anything not vintage, yadda yadda.

And Hoov,

I think one of the greatest things you can do to older cars is update their technology. Take a great old car like a Z or MGB and update it with the technology we have these days. They come out (if dont right of course) faster, safer and better looking.

I'm an old soul though.. Modern design annoys me. Nothing (to me) has the personality that was so prevelant 30-100 years ago. Modern technology fascinates me though.. We've come a long way with function, if not so much form.

Guest JAMIE T
i dont think putting modern tech into an old car especially an mgb would be worth the money.

Where did we get this guy?

I guess my RB26 powered 1971 Datsun Zcar is not worth it then...

mike k, to reply to your comment about polishing a terd. everyone who's seen the movie christine knows you can't polish a terd. remember when the kid is putting the new wiper blades on the car in the indoor warehouse and the owner tells him "hey kid, you can't polish a terd". sorry, that ran thru my head and i had to share it...

Guest 81na ZX
I don't get it... Someone posts that pic on a CLASSIC motorsports site? Guys, that would be like going to a catholic church to worship the devil... :roll:

Well that was the same magazine that put a Miata 1.8 drivetrain into a MGB.

Its not like there aren't 10,000,000 MGB's out there... Its not the holy grail of automobiles being defiled or anything.

However, if someone did put a modern engine in a 72 Ferrari Dino, I'd have to kill them ;)

Rather ironic.....Datsun started out borrowing mechanical design from British auto makers. Years ago, I had a 62 MG Midget and a 66 Datsun and the similarities were not coincidental. The Japanese autos in about 20 years from 1950 to 1970 had completely surpassed the British automakers. Just about anything would be an improvement to an MGB.......... my biased opinion my MG http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/larryjohnson97438/detail?.dir=392a&.dnm=f8fe.jpg&.src=ph

if you go to the summer california shasta run you can see many 510's and a few late 60's datsun roadsters with sr20 power.i have a disc with a pic of the car and a motor pic-about 30 or 40 cars.email me if you want a disc.i would like to have a roadster with a sr20.would cure me of wanting a new honda s2000.

Well that was the same magazine that put a Miata 1.8 drivetrain into a MGB.

Its not like there aren't 10' date='000,000 MGB's out there... Its not the holy grail of automobiles being defiled or anything.

[/quote']

Most of the responses I read were pretty open-minded. In the second post someone associated with both Grassroots Motorsports (GRM) and apparently its sister mag Classic Motorsports (CM) simply asked whether they'd like to read about it in CM. Most of the answers just thought it would fit better in GRM, that's all.

If you recall GRM did a 13B in a Spitfire not too long ago.

However, if someone did put a modern engine in a 72 Ferrari Dino, I'd have to kill them ;)

Actually, that's the swap I really want to do...

SR20 in a 308 (okay, not the Dino). Get the looks and handling and probably about twice the performance of that stupidly expensive wheezy 1980's Ferrari 3.0. Just seeing the look on the other Ferrari owners faces would make it all worthwhile... :twisted:

I've always wanted to put a 13B in a triumph GT6. But as I've gotten older (maybe a bit wiser) i've started to find alot of things about the lines of the GT6 that I don't like. But it would still be a fun swap.

EDIT: PS, the SR swap in the MGB looks sweet. I'd like to find out what all was done in the swap for fitment.