HybridZ

240 z seats

buZy

Ok I have searched here... there and just about everywhere. Looking for street style racing seats for the Z. The DAD style are just about unavailable. Nobody seems to have them. So something along those lines black under $500 a pair reclinable with universal sliders would be great. See pic. Thanks everyone.

measuretouring.jpg

beware seats with the shoulder wings, I currently have forza's and the wings rub the door but I sit pretty far up as I am short, it looks like it would have a bit more room forther back but with interior it might still rub, I know some people mount the seats offset but that just bugs the crap out of me

I searched ebay nothing. Called two places nothing. Maybe I am search engine stupid. The a4's came up on ebay. So figure something else is fine too. The a4 looks really good. I know of those, just wanted to be cheap if there is a better deal to be had.

Go to a PEPBOYS and see if they have a seat display. I know the one in my town has these style seats where you can go in and test sit...

I"m selling my A4s but shipping would make it impossible to ship them, so Local pickup only for these...

Mike

Why not just rebuild the Datsun seats? A bit of extra bolstering can go a long way and there is no doubt about the sliders and fit in the car. See photos of what I did with my seats in my photo album. My set-up is great for daily driving and occaisional track use. They would not offer the support you would want if you're building a track car.

When I bought my car it didnt have the stock seats. I would have gone that route. All said and done the cost and time would be about the same.

I dont want to upset the thread so I'll just ramble a bit here. I hope thats ok. Thanks again everyone.

This whole seat/cage or rollbar issue is hard for me to define. Where to take the car.... This is a big step in what the car becomes.... If go with 4 point harness seats and belts in the event of a roll over with no upper cage my head and neck would be crushed, maybe even with a 4 point roll bar. So when I see cars with racing harnesses and no cage it looks a stupid idea to me. This is a street car but track time at BIR is my dream someday.

My gfather raced an open cockpit birdcage mazzarati in the 60's. Rolled it end over end at Elkhart Lake WI and he lived. The only reason he did was because he got his head down and had a grab bar mounted on the pass floor. In a 4 point harness he would have been dead. To cage or not to cage that is question.

I found a used DAD seat in great condition on ebay about 5 hrs from me. Bad news it was only one driver's seat, good news i only paid 60 bucks for it. I took the pass seat out of the Z, drove to Goodguys in Charlotte and walked around 2 hrs, drove on to Boone, NC to get the seat, drove over to Rockingham with the seat riding shotgun, made 8+ passes down the track, and drove home. 500 mi in one day and ran it down the 1320 to boot. What a day!!

I like the seat pretty good. On long drives the bottom bolsters start hurting my outer thighs a little. Side bolster clears the B pillar by 3/4" or so. Overall pretty happy with it, i just wish i coulda found both. Looks weird beside the stock passenger seat.

buZy,

You have some tough decisions ahead. Mine generally took years to make because my car is a daily driver. It took me to work every day 13 years ago and it still does today. I've put over 120,000 miles on the car while I've owned it. It has rebolstered and leather covered stock seats, a 4-pt. roll bar, and the standard seatbelt and shoulder harness. I just couldn't justify more since it's 99% a daliy and, at most, 1% on a track. Your physical size needs to be figured into the equation also. At 6'-4" & 230 lbs my needs and what can be done with the car are significantly different than someone of a different height & weight.

The problem with stock seats like mine in my 1971 240Z is you cannot use 4 or 5 point harnesses. I need to find another route as well. What have you others done to remedy this.

The Dads maybe the answer.

Mike

Here is a pic of one of my DAD seats, these were in my car for like a week so they are in brand new condition. And yes you can use the brackets supplied with these seats to bolt them into an s30. I had to drill 3 holes and bolted them in. This is a pic of just one, the other is in the same shape, no, harness is not included, and please excuse the mess :icon44: A few people emailed me on these so throw me some offers and I might sell them, not 100% right now, thanks guys

100_0102.jpg

100_0104.jpg

If you can find some late model RX-7 seats they have a hole in the fixed headrest which begs for a harness to go through it. They are leather, fit in a Z well, look good, and in the two times I've autox'ed it (so far...) I didn't notice sliding around. I've raced in other seats where it was noticably irritating that you are trying to hold yourself in place while driving and I didn't notice that with these. They obviously are not race seats so consider that if you plan on running on a track but they seem OK for autox. Something to think about if you can find some in a yard.

Cameron