HybridZ

mustang t5 shifter in 280zx borg warner t5

FI_JUNKY

The Camaro shifter will NOT fit. The pattern is nearly square while the Ford's is rectangular.

I have the Hurst Comp Plus shifter on my T5. It is in my 240. I bought a different handle since the Mustang one jammed my hand into the AC controls. Other than that, bolted right in. If I had it to do over again, I would get one of the billet ones, but whatever you do get one with a removeable handle so you can bend and shape it to fit.

well first off, HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone. and yeah i just got the 86-00 (mustang) Steeda TRI-AX short throw billet & stainless shifter. It works NIIIICE! i like it a lot. it was easy to install other than the front 2 bolt heads broke off in the tranni and on hole was stripped, so i had to ease them out and drill and tap one hole. that took a lil while but installing the shifter was simple as hell. I'm knocking it into the gears now with a flip of a finger, freakin smoooth. Thanks for the info. and suggestions everyone!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/fi_junky/steeda007.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/fi_junky/steeda015.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/c186/fi_junky/?action=view&current=steeda016.jpg

The Mustang handle position may be great in a ZX, but it stinks in a 240. That's one reason I bought the Comp. Plus is it uses regular hurst handles of which there is an assortment. Although I ended up modding the one I bought by bending it to the drivers side about 1 1/2". One of the shifters with the bolt on black handle might be more conducive to modifying the bend, but they are aluminum which will complicate things.

• 7 years later...

BIG 'OL THREAD REVIVAL! going on here now, but why make a new one with the same topic..?

My problem is after installing the mustang short shifter and re-installing the inner rubber boot(280Z item), when putting the shifter in 1st, 3rd or 5th gear position the rubber boot drags a little on the shifter stick causing it to get pulled back slightly, I fear it will cause the transmission to jump out of gear as soon as I let off the gaspedal once I get the car on the road... 

Anyone else running a similar setup in their S30? What did you do with the shifter boot if anything?

Here you see the S30 and the S130 on the same page, you can see the S30 one is slanted back, causing it to pull on the stick when you put it forward... http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/zr/full.aspx?Page=2

I'm thinking the ZX inner boot must be better? 

I think I used the inner and outer boot from the t5 . Nice heavy boots that insulate sound well and fit my aftermarket shifter very well

Seems the boot isn't my biggest problem as when I jacked the transmission up to it's final mounting position the shifter is now hitting the console, did you have to modify yours to engage the 1,3,5 gears? I have NO clearance from the center console to the shifter when the shifter is in neutral.

Seems the boot isn't my biggest problem as when I jacked the transmission up to it's final mounting position the shifter is now hitting the console, did you have to modify yours to engage the 1,3,5 gears? I have NO clearance from the center console to the shifter when the shifter is in neutral.

This was mentioned above, and is a common issue with ANY late model five speed into an earlier 240Z.

You either bend the stock Mustang Shifter, or get any one of the many available aftermarket shifters with the adjustable shifter handles.

I don't have a stock mustang shifter, I have a hurst shortshifter. It's the bottom part where you bolt the stick to the shifter that's hitting the console. My plan is to section the shifter hole in the stock console and move it an inch further forward, lots of cracks in my center console so I might as well experiment a little with it, try some plastic welding and stuff :)