HybridZ

Tired of all the mouth!!!

utvolman99

Okay, Im in the middle of putting together my 240 sbc combo. I really enjoy this forum so I decide to step out to some import forums to see what the competition is up to. Well, it seems that every honda and tallon out there is claiming hight 11s and low 12s! Whats up whith that. I know this is probably a lot of BS but I dont want to go through all this trouble and then get thumped by a civic!!

Here is my planned set up.

73 240Z

355 sbc

aprox 10:1 compression ratio

Dart Iron eagle 215cc heads

comp xe274 cam

victor Jr intake

Holley 750 vac secondary carb

1 3/4 block hugger headers

700R4

3.7 R200

Desk top dyno tells me 440 hp at 6000RPM. Im assuming a 20% loss to the rear?? giving me 352RWHP. From what Ive seen whith street tires I will only be in the high 12s or so. This is starting to get me down!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I think alot of 'claimed' 11's or 12's is by people who havn't actually ran that, but assume they're power adders let them run at least that fast since some other joe nobody ran that a friends cousins friend said so. :rolleyes:

Someone will almost always have a faster car somewhere, and if they don't, they're working on it.

If its a Honduh running 11's and 12's then the guy is a serious racer and not some poser with a 16 sec or slower body kitted big muffled stocker, so I won't give him grief, hey cheers.gif is what I'd tell him, thats pretty fast for a 'economy' car.

But consider, yours is relatively mildly tuned, his is pretty unstreetable... Easy fix, more motor, or some laughing gas... ;)

Regards,

Lone

I think Lone just hit it on the head: your car will be 'mildly tuned' only, while the Honduh that comes anywhere near what the Z car is, will be an almost all-out race car. What this means is: don't even be intimidated by the "I run 12's with my 1.6L Civic!" crowd. Your Z will inspire confidence in you like no other..shoot, the car will scare you with what it can do, and the Honda will be a mere dot in the rear view. Keep in mind that if you do ever come across a totally juiced Honda, it may stick with you, but it should never trounce you, so don't worry about it and just build your dream. My $.02

Davy

no street driven civic will hang with a v8z, even one with a really small v8, like a tired 265 even.

last time i raced a civic (before the xmember broke) i tromped him so bad all i heard in the background was vtec, turbo, and three chirps, if that runs a 12, im the top fuel dragster.

Guest bang847

Ah.. 12 seconds... they are probably talking about one of their "homies" cars nono.gifnono.gif ... and how did they time that? did they count mississippi's between freeway exits? twak.giftwak.gif

"aww yeah that was like eleven mississippi's and missia.. that is like a high eleven!" :eek::eek:

man to think a few years ago I was really into that stuff...

malebitchslap.gifmalebitchslap.gif

Guest Anonymous

Low 12's sideways on street rubber... 11's @ 116 with the slightest touch of traction. Slide some Drag Radials under her and I'll bet you can go 11.70's or better with a 1.7-1.8 60' time... give all those little Honduh gnats hell!!! flamedevil.gif

Plus you can do it forwell under what the ricer's pay. An 11 second Honda has some serious $$ in it. I'll never ever get used to that undignified blaaaap of the 4 banger. I shut down one of the biggest talkers in our town, you know, AWD Eclipse, lots of go-fast stickers, hula hoop wing. My car wasn't that fast, as serious street cars go, but as you say "mouth" is just that, horsepower to weight is another. You won't be dissapointed with your combo.

JS

The other night I was at the race legal drag races in San Diego, most of the cars there where rice and the track is 1/8 mile. Several of these Hondas etc. where having trouble breaking into the low 11's in the 1/8 there is no way they could pull anything worth bragging about out of the 1/4.

I did see a first gen eclipse AWD that looked very plain and he pulled an 8.0 sec. 1/8 mile that was very impressive, so there are some out there but very few and far between.

Dragonfly

Yes, watch out for the Eclipse/Talon, especially the 1st gen. They can be upgraded fairly easily/cheaply to run 12s, 11s. There are a bunch in the 10s, some in the 9s and some race-only ones in the 8s. I'm talking 1/4 mile here, not 1/8.

Having a stout engine design and a decent setup from the factory, not to mention AWD, means it doesn't take rocket science or a huge billfold to get in the 12s, etc.

I still prefer lots of cubes though! My 92 Eclipse GSX is simply my daily driver. Very few mods, as I was saving the money to dump in the Z!

That is kind of what I thought. It just seems that everyone is talking like a 12 second 1/4 isnt that fast for a street car. I guess when I think about it, it would be really tough to beat the Hp to weight ratio of the V8Z. I have looked at those other sites a little more and there are way too many "killed a Viper with my civic" stories on there for me to give them any credit.

I think 1/4 mile times have become like 40 yard times for college football players. It seem that every freshman is suppost to run a 4.4 40. Truth is probably 4.5-4.6! Guess I have to just hurry up and get on the street to prove my point!

Couple of things come to mind when I read this thread...

I have a step son who is 17 and a younger brother who is 20, getting ready to turn 21. The step son has a 94 Civic 2 door coupe, cute little car... Little brother has an 87 RX7 turbo. Both think that their cars are fast and furious. Both also think they are the best driver on the planet... Both have rolled a car within the last 2 months...

Both also tell me tails of how so-an-so just turned a 12 second quarter mile run, or a low 9/ high 8 pass in the 1/8th. When I ask who, driving what car, and did you see the timeslip? They always get slack jawed and say "What do ya mean?".... Kids talk. Kids also believe the hype printed in magazines... Remember that in the 16-22 age bracket, there are kids who still read comics, watch cartoons, and occasionally play with toys. These kids are just that...Still kids, talking trash and trying to fit in with the "Big boys"! Let it go in one ear, out the other, and show them with your tail lights.

Last night I took my wife out to dinner on my 10 second 1/4mile GSXR motorcycle. A kid in a Nissan Sentra Type R (??) pulled up next to me.. I blipped the throttle at the light and his passenger gave me the sign... I cracked the throttle and revved it hard and COASTED through the light, as I had no intention of racing with my wife on the back of the wheelie proned GSXR, and the kid dumps the clutch with much tire spin and jetts off into the sunset... My wife asked me why I did that when we got home, and I said to give that kid something to bragg about... And so the next time I can set him up when I'm alone... and his ego is stroked from his last "Kill"!

Kids are fun, kids are young and naive, and we all were kids... Have fun with them, and school them every chance you get... Build that Z and spank some import AZZ!

Mike Kelly cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

i have seen some very quick hondas on the street, they are few and far between.a true 12 sec car on the street is rare ( no matter what your buddies tell you). oh , i have seen a V8 get beaten on the street by a honda .but, the honda had a supercharger and nitrous and nittos some suspention work and a very good driver.the z had a tired motor and a kid who thought he had a very fast car. he had a quick car.

Guest kc6wfs

Back a few weeks ago Tim240Z and I went to LACR (Pomona Ca) on Grudge night to have some fun. It had been last summer since I had mine at the track and wanted to see how the Z was doing with my carb change. rockon.gif

I was in the lanes with the imports, and only ran with the imports.

I only lost 1 because my throttle cable came off. malebitchslap.gif

My best time was a 13.70@101 and the trailer queens never made it down the track.

I think the fastest import there was in the high 13's but most were 15-20's I made 7 or so runs and kicked butt by a long shot. rockon.gif

Us with V8's in our Z's have no worries about 95% of the imports out there.

Dave

cheers.gif

You see this is just what I thought and I proved my own point last night. I was heading home from a friends house in my 2000 silverado Z71. Some kid in a civic with a fart pipe pulled up next to me and started gunning it. He darted ahead of me and then slowed up so we would catch the same red light. I decided to see how bad he would do me in so I nailed it. I only left him by about a car length. We both stopped at the same gas station and he came over asking me what I had done to my truck. He seemed pretty upset when I told him it was bone stock! It is a 5.3L 285Hp engine but its still a four wheel drive truck!

Im not worried about hondas any more. Maybe my bosses ZO6 but not the hunkas!

Guest Anonymous

Every Honda with an exhaust runs deep elevens, just ask the kids that drive 'em!! Amazingly enough I've raced plenty of 12 sec. rides in my 13.0 second E.C. and laid waste to all of them...after the race I always smart off with something like " if your car runs easy twelves then mine must be deep in the 11's, geez, I can;t believe how far off those timing traps are at the track??..." and show them my stack of sub 13.20 time slips... they shut up real quick. Also I've found that asking them how they stage,deep or shallow, and try to get them to explain their strategy for the staging lights and it's real easy to figure out who has really made a pass in their car and who is just guessing what their bolt ons will add up to... flamedevil.gif

Guest Anonymous

The only 5.0's he was running off from, must have been some 5.0's (policemen) on bicycles and even they would hang tough for a couple of gears... :D

cheers.gif ,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

not to defend all hondas. but, i have seen several true 12-13 sec street hondas in my local area.i have run across a crx with a gsr motor and a small shot of nos that was a very strong 13 sec car. and a 92 hatch with a zc 1600 with a turbo kit and a fogger nos kit run solid 12`s. there are a bunch of 2 liter vtec conversions that have seriously embrassed some pretty strong street machines.i`m not saying any of them in my area can beat me. done right a honda can be fast.but, most like 99% are all talk...there are a few fast ones out there.