HybridZ

Exauhst $600

Just built a TIG welded 3" race exhaust on a vintage racing 240Z. Labor alone was $600. Borla muffler, optional straight pipe, mandrel bends, Y-pipe, reducers, stainless T-bolt clamps, hangers, etc. put the total over $1,000. You get what you pay for guys.

240ZComplete-2.jpg

The exhaust I had built for the White V8 Zcar I had cost over $600 to build and install. It was tight under the car and full 2.5 inches of mandrel bent and welded/ flaged with an H-pipe.

$600 doesn 't sound high for a true custom, well made setup... Just as a comparison, the full setup on my Corvette, Including the Z06 Ti rear exhaust and a stainless Xpipe cost me $700 and did the install. The cats and headers ran me an additional $1000.

Mike

It does depend on if your doing the work or not and you have the ability to weld and cut and make most of it yourself you can get it done a lot cheaper then you would pay someone.

As a matter of fact it will cost you more if you go stainless but it will also last forever, basically.

You can do a single aluminized for much cheaper but then again how long will it last. Parts and material for my 3inch mandrel bent exhaust on the ZX was only112 dollars, all mild steel mind you.

I know that I will have to eventually replace the DP, but that was my choice at the time.

If you want a good quality lasting exhaust you will pay for it.

If you want a good quality lasting exhaust you will pay for it.

The (used) exhaust I bought from one of our members cost him over $600 when he had it fabricated: 3" mandrel bent exhaust, starting from a 'Y' pipe, into a stainless Borla (to act as a resonator of sorts) and winding around into a 3" in&out Dynomax Super Turbo muffler and finally ending in a large 3.5" chrome tip. All that and labor was over $600. When it arrived at my house I looked it over and could tell he was about right. The Borla itself was over $200. I think you'll get what you pay for, but just make sure what you are getting for $600!!!!!!!

Davy

Part of the price with someone fabricating is labor. Figure on 2x the price with stainless and almost that for dual exhaust. A lof it depends on how picky you are about the fit. The tighter you tuck it up into the tranmission tunnel, the more bends it will require.

I assume you are looking for a single 3"? Those are pretty simple. I made mines for under a 100 bucks with a hooker aerochamber and aluminized tubing welded to a stock down pipe. It tucked up pretty neatly. Of course the need for stainless here is not that big a deal except to the down pipe.

If this is mandrel-bent custom 2 1/2†or larger dual exhaust with X-pipe and high-quality dual mufflers, $600 isn’t a bad deal. They have to do multiple trial-fits, possibly introduce multiple flanges to clear the transmission mount, the rear suspension links, etc. – and possibly even hammer the spare tire housing to fit those mufflers – all while avoiding fuel lines and fitting the pipes inside the transmission tunnel.

We just fixed the exhaust on my wife’s 1990 Honda Accord. Bone stock, downstream of the catalytic convertor, single pipe with the cheapo crinkle-bends was something like $220 parts + labor. This was ZERO fabrication work and maybe 1/2-hour in the shop total.

I think that a lot of guys are so used to getting “deals†– getting lucky with clueless sellers who don’t know what they have, or bartering with down-and-out mechanics who’d do 40 hours of custom work for a six pack and a large pizza – that any sort of retail price comes across as sticker shock! I mean, there’s a reason why a plain-Jane muscle car restoration costs $100,000 these days!

I dont really need that nice of an exauhst system. Right now I just want it running.

This is a very mild 350 and I dont need to flow much. I just want it quieted down a bit (as in be able to leave the neighborhood without 8 noise complaints.)

Later I want to put in a fuel cell and dual exausht but right now a Y to a single turbo muffler will be fine.

The guy wanted $600 for what I just said. I dont even think it was mandrel bent.

Alright, I went to another shop today, the guy wanted $600 again, but seemed like he new what he was doing. It was 2.5" to a Y with a 3" resonator and a magnaflow mufller in the stock location. Its all mandrel bent and he said it will "stay this color" so i guess this means it was stainless.

They had a really nice 32 ford in the shop with a buick V6 with a huge blower on it and a couple of turbocharged VW sand rails so i guess they knew what they were doing.

He said he could get down to $500 without the resonator, what does a resonator do?