HybridZ

Mustang in Japan...not a V-8 under the hood

S30TRBO

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't they do that for a movie?

Yes... it was done for F&F 3, which takes place (partly atleast) in Japan. There is a story behind WHY the motor was installed in that car and it is quite plausible. The install is functional and, according to the builder, makes decent power (I don't remember the exact number).

I must be a bigot.

I think that's heinous.

The car was a POS. The quality of those photos makes the paint and body look much better than it really is. I doubt that the RB will remain in the car since, as mentioned above, it was done to suit a story line.

Please tell me that's a fake Shelby. It looks to me like a 67 or 68 Fast Back. Although I like the idea of dropping a V8 into a Z. (More for the money than anything else) I think it's sacrilegious to drop a Jap motor into a Classis American Car. Even if it had a straight 6 in there to begin with.

This is just WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will complement the owner in his ingenuity, and keeping the car alive. Japan has to be one of the most expensive places to own a car. Not to mention one of the strictest. I'm sure an Old V8 would not have been street worthy over there.(Very strict emissions laws)

Yes... it was done for F&F 3, which takes place (partly atleast) in Japan. There is a story behind WHY the motor was installed in that car and it is quite plausible.

OK I just read that this was for a movie. To the makers of F&F3. You didn't have the money limitations that many of us in the real world have. So what you did was just WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok may be I went a little over board, but I think you see my opinion.

I'm no huge fan of the F&F movies, but postulate with me for a moment, if you will:

You're in Japan and you're big into street racing. There's lots of money, and honor, involved in winning. You blow up your 427ci Mustang motor. You've got to get the car up and running quickly and it has to be fast! Guess what? There's no support in Japan for the 427! What do you do...

You get my point.

Yeah, 240Z_Master linked it. To add to the RB'ness of the post:

2076lq.jpg

This is a Reimax (Reimax) built Groupe A motor. It was displayed at the D1 Grand Prix event this past weekend. There were no shortage of RB powered machines, but this motor was easy to view and is quite rare.

man... hypocrites everywhere :(

i'd rather have a jap engine any day. fuel economy' date=' reliability, and an engine that doesn't burn a lot of oil, and lastly still makes tons of power. definitely.[/quote']

It's not so much the engine, but the car. If it where a later Stang I would have no problem with it. But this is a Classic Mustang not a post Mustang II era Stang.

I could put an Sr20 in my Z, and it will make great power. (much more than my current L series) But there is no way I could do it. To me less Cyl's is a down grade of the worst order.(Please no flaming from the 4cyl guys).

A well built V8 will out Torque any Turbo jap motor. When when all is said and done on the 1/4 mile it's all about torque! HP #'s are for advertising, Torque is for winning.

man... hypocrites everywhere :(

i'd rather have a jap engine any day. fuel economy' date=' reliability, and an engine that doesn't burn a lot of oil, and lastly still makes tons of power. definitely.[/quote']

This is a joke, right? Tell me it is... :roll:

My little pathetic an anemic LS1 is only pushing about 375HP at the wheels (DYNO PROVEN and the sheet was already posted) and it only gets about 28MPG and has used ZERO OIL since day one... :roll:

Spew that garbage elsewhere... This is HYBDRIDZ! :toetap05:

Mike :cool:

It's not so much the engine' date=' but the car. If it where a later Stang I would have no problem with it. But this is a Classic Mustang not a post Mustang II era Stang.

I could put an Sr20 in my Z, and it will make great power. (much more than my current L series) But there is no way I could do it. To me less Cyl's is a down grade of the worst order.(Please no flaming from the 4cyl guys).

A well built V8 will out Torque any Turbo jap motor. When when all is said and done on the 1/4 mile it's all about torque! HP #'s are for advertising, Torque is for winning.[/quote']

Those guys who look down on you for putting a v-8 in your datsun, consider datsun's classics, and think they should not be tampered with.... so the difference between you and them is....?

either engine whether it be japanese or american, that makes a lot of hp/torque, is ok in my book.

Those guys who look down on you for putting a v-8 in your datsun, consider datsun's classics, and think they should not be tampered with.... so the difference is....?

I think that the Difference is #'s. There are more Z's out there, than there are Stangs from that Era. Remeber that the Early Mustang had a major change in almost every model year. While the S30 was, more or less, the same from 70-78.

I would say that the 1970 Z is car that shouldn't be tampered with.

I have an Early 260Z which in it of it self is a limited run car, but I would not call it a classic (In the sense that it should be restored to factory new condition).