HybridZ

Roll Bar Clearance?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Autopower race bar for a 240Z is part # 60170L and does not look like the pictures posted earlier in this thread. I sell it for $339.00 which might be a bit more then what MSA charges because they can buy in lots of 10 and get a bigger discount then I. The harness bar is an extra cost option and I charge $61.57. Shipping on these roll bars is fairly cheap because they can go via UPS. I sent one back to Florida for $75.

It takes about 3 weeks for Autopower to make and ship if they don't have any in stock.

Yikes, I hope you never need it.

Well I hope I never need it either but for a street car that may see occasional open track & autocross duty then I'm going with the better than nothing approach. I'm assuming your comment was about the design of the bar and not about the installation. I value your opinion very much and if you see an installation problem please let me know so that I can correct it before I get much further into this project.

Yup, Jeff's is the bolt in BAR I'm familiar with. The cage they sell for ITS is a different animal all together from what I remember seeing on the units installed in the couple of ITS prepped Zcars I've seen them in.

Mike

The harness bar is an extra cost option and I charge $61.57.

Is the Autopower harness bar just straight across or does it curve back to provide seat clearance? I'm also wondering if it would be best to skip the harness bar and just weld a tube between the towers?

Thanks

Cameron

Is the Autopower harness bar just straight across or does it curve back to provide seat clearance? I'm also wondering if it would be best to skip the harness bar and just weld a tube between the towers?

I had the SCCA legal bar and had the harness bar on it. I welded another harness bar onto it because the original was too low, so the angle of the seatbelt was pretty steep to get over the top of the Recaro seats I was using. Plus it had to go over the seat stop bracket thingy which was FLIMSY. I put my new harness bar between the rear support braces and it reduced the angle of the seatbelts considerably. I later sold it to Auxilary. He might be nice enough to shoot a pic or two if you say please... :wink:

I can't remember what the acceptable seat belt angle is, but I can tell you that if the mount is too low and the seatbelt goes up sharply over the back of the seat and then down sharply across your chest like this ^ then when you get in an accident when your body moves forward it will also force your torso down, compressing your spine and potentially causing much greater damage. The Honda ricers with their "race harnesses" latched into the rear passenger seats or worse yet the floorboard behind the seats are asking for a paralyzing spinal injury.

I put my new harness bar between the rear support braces and it reduced the angle of the seatbelts considerably.

That is what I ended up doing as well. I didn't like the fact that the harness bar was constructed of flat stock and this should place the belts in a better position.

harness%20bar.jpg

Theese roll bars dont make tha car any stiffer right?

U guys still weld shoring in your chassis joints?

I need to make my car stiffer in the chassis but not sure which way to go.

I'm stitch welding my chassis right now and I'm making a different roll bar that attaches to the rockers and the strut towers. I'd go with a cage and subframe connectors if its a track car. Stitch welding is a lot of work. LOT of work...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a roll bar for my "76 and came across this tread while searching. I went to the web site and had a look at the bar. What's the difference between the 1.75" DOM(?) and the 2.0" ERW(?) bar construction? (Besides 1/4"). Is there a benefit to the larger bar in the Z. What have you guys been installing? Thanks.

Hey guys' date='

I'm looking for a roll bar for my "76 and came across this tread while searching. I went to the web site and had a look at the bar. What's the difference between the 1.75" DOM(?) and the 2.0" ERW(?) bar construction? (Besides 1/4"). Is there a benefit to the larger bar in the Z. What have you guys been installing? Thanks.[/quote']

in a bolt in bar, that difference in diameter wont be a benefit. im not even sure if it would make a benefit in a weld in bar???(dunno) but what i wanted to ask, what the PO put an autopower bar in the car so is there any way to make this structural? i was thinking about not only just welding it in, but welding a bar on each side connecting it to the towers and then another bar welded across attaching the two towers together.

would this be worth it? thanks.