HybridZ

Rolling fenders...

Guest ON3GO

Guest ON3GO

im having trouble trying to find the best way to roll the rear fenders on a 76 280Z.

reason being is im running a much wider/taller tire and no flares.

i want to keep it stock appering.

right now im doing it but it seems to me ill have more body work to do around the outer fender when im done.

less work the better on this project as time is limited.

any ideas would be great

mike

Get a wood baseball bat and a friend you trust. Stick the bat between the tire and the wheel well. Depending on your tire to fender gap you might have to put the small end in first. Put it in far enough that the bat hits the tire and the fender. Then have your trusted friend SLOWLY roll the car forward so that the bat rolls between the fender and tire as the car moves. It will bend the inner edge of the fender in. You can do this several times, bending a bit more each time, and that is much safer than shoving the bat way in there and trying to get it all at once. You can also push on the bat to change the angle of the bend if need be.

I should point out that I've never actually rolled fenders myself, but I've been the trusted friend 2 or 3 times. It really didn't look that hard and if I needed my fenders rolled I wouldn't hesitate to give it a shot at this point.

Or buy one of these: http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=6159&itemType=PRODUCT

Guest ON3GO

ya we dont have a bat or a car that rolls so thats why im screwed on that lol.

i do have a hammer and dolly and ill try that.. more work and if need be i can cut and weld but blah.

mike

Guest 73Turbo240z

i just used a hammer and dolly, spent some time and all came out well, rolled it enough that i know we wont have a problem anymore with rubbing when it squats..

mike

• 4 weeks later...

I fit 235s on my 78 and only had to very slightly roll the rear lip. I bought the Eastwood fender roller and as long as you take your sweet time and apply heat from like a hair-blow dryer then you can roll it and not crack your paint off but be very very patient with that old paint because it cracks really easily. Most people with baseball bats have messed up the paint or have caused a wave in the sheetmetal even the slightest will show on a good paint job. Just take it slow slow slow and all will be good.

that would be good. you want to have the backspace to be as high as possible if you are using stock suspension. Like 4.5 in backspace on the rear. The tokicos should help keep the tire from bouncing up into your fender but you probably want some stiffer springs too. I think the euro springs would be fine.

I had to roll my rear upper lips...

You can rent or borrow a fender rolling tool that will get fantastic results...

It bolts to the hub flange and has a plastic roller that rotates on the hub while applying pressure to the lip at an adjustable angle... it does very smooth work....

I have 15 x 7 with +4 offset Hyashi wheels... with 225/50/15 Kumho Victoracers... I have also mounted Toyo RA1s on these with similar results...

I have also installed offset bushings to push the wheels outward for more negative camber.... the strut towers have been slotted enough to get equal camber on both sides...

I also have the rear wheels pushed slightly forward because of rear toe in...

• 3 years later...
235-60-15's fit fit with stock fenders and no rolling.

mike

I love resurecting ANCIENT threads but I was searching for something and came across this.

I have 235/60/15 drag radials (MT) and these will NOT fit on stock fenders. I am running 15x8 0ET though. Maybe, just maybe with a +4 or so they would but I have to roll mine for sure. 100%.