HybridZ

What is it about those exotic engines?

Guest l28et

Guest l28et

Heard a Maserati coupe rippin it down the street the other day, AMAZING sound. What is it about the Italian V8s? Ferrari, Maserati, etc. That exhaust note gives me the chills.

So - are there any readily available, high revving, good sounding V8s? Sure you have the grunt of an SBC or SBF, but you're limited to what, 5-6.5K redline? If I were to go through the trouble of an engine swap I want it to sound exotic, not the run of the mill Mustang or Camaro. Give me a high output, high revvin V8 if Im going naturally aspirated.

So any ideas?

http://www.eisenhaus.com/video.php?video=http://www.eisenhaus.com/install/Kreissieg/Video_355-1.mpg

Inspiration.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm wrong but, doesn't the video clip sound like a V12? Seems that most of the exotic sounding Italian cars are V12s!
Lots of Ferraris have V8s with a flat crank. Totally different sound than a domestic V8 (different firing order).

There are two ways an engine can make sound, thru exhaust and intake. When most people think the exhaust is totally responsible for the sound, in fact, the intake were a major part of the equation. The exotic engines have an intake that is acoustic engineered to give a certain characteristics. It's part of the marketing really. Some Porsche sportscars and some domestic truck have their intakes acoustically(?) engineered to give their distictive noises. So the real sound maker is not just the cylinders, but intake AND exhaust.

About flat plane crankshaft/cross plane crankshaft....cross plane crankshaft have two(out of eight) exhaust pulses unevenly spaced periodically while the flat plane crankshaft give evenly spaced exhaust pulses. The overlap exhaust is what gives the "American V8" it's distinctive grumble; The evenly spaced exhaust pulses are what make the exotic engine sound like two 4 cylinder engines.

If you want a special sound like that of an exotic engine, you need more than just RPM.

I think some aftermarket crank makers can do flat plane, now you just need some acoustic engineering :-D

Guest ON3GO

well ive driven more ferraris then i can count and nothing sounds better then a 330 V12, 308GTB Comp V8, 360 F1, or my all time fav F40...

The F40 sounded much like a LS1 on boost does but more high pitched.. plus it just was fricken loud!

closest i ever heard to a ferrari engine for a cheap price was a well built. lightened, tripple weber carbed L28 :D... no joke :D.. sounds awesome :D

mike

There are two ways an engine can make sound' date=' thru exhaust and intake. When most people think the exhaust is totally responsible for the sound, in fact, the intake were a major part of the equation. The exotic engines have an intake that is acoustic engineered to give a certain characteristics. It's part of the marketing really. Some Porsche sportscars and some domestic truck have their intakes acoustically(?) engineered to give their distictive noises. So the real sound maker is not just the cylinders, but intake AND exhaust.

About flat plane crankshaft/cross plane crankshaft....cross plane crankshaft have two(out of eight) exhaust pulses unevenly spaced periodically while the flat plane crankshaft give evenly spaced exhaust pulses. The overlap exhaust is what gives the "American V8" it's distinctive grumble; The evenly spaced exhaust pulses are what make the exotic engine sound like two 4 cylinder engines.

If you want a special sound like that of an exotic engine, you need more than just RPM.

I think some aftermarket crank makers can do flat plane, now you just need some acoustic engineering :-D[/quote']

you can also even out the exhaust pulses by running a set of 180 degree headers, this will essentialy do the same thing to the exhaust note a flat plane crank

I think my Z has a very good sound like an exotic italian car...jus a little more rumbly. I have a header, 2.5 exhaust and a turbo muffler at the back. I really like the sound of the Z but if it could sound a little more refined that would be sweet. It definitely sounds like a beast gong down the road playing with the redline like it was a suggested slowing point rather than an exploding point...My Z has topped out the stock tach once or twice...I need a rev limiter so 8k+ doesn't happen any more.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone give a straight up comparison of exhaust note with diferent systems eg;balance pipes,pipe diameter,muffler types/baffeled/h-dog/glass filled,front or rear muffler.anything but without any other changes to engine.

In Australia the cheapest(under $1000.00)option for that sound your looking for is the lexus 4L v8 not a huge capacity but a great engine.

Im thinking of using one, the main drawback is converting to manual box is expensive. col

Can anyone give a straight up comparison of exhaust note with diferent systems eg;balance pipes,pipe diameter,muffler types/baffeled/h-dog/glass filled,front or rear muffler.anything but without any other changes to engine.

In Australia the cheapest(under $1000.00)option for that sound your looking for is the lexus 4L v8 not a huge capacity but a great engine.

Im thinking of using one, the main drawback is converting to manual box is expensive. col

Alrighty.. let me chime in..

Formula One cars and Ferrari's sound sooo amazing simply because of the tremdously small pistons and small stroke...

The Ferrari F40 for example is a 2.9L V8 with a 82mm bore and a 69.50mm stroke... this rev's up to 10,000 RPM... and produces some 478 hp

Formula One engines and (quote from formula one.com) "the 'power battle' of the last few years saw outputs creep back towards the 1000 bhp barrier, some teams producing more than 300 bhp / litre in 2005, the final year of 3 litre V10 engines. From 2006, the regulations require the use of 2.4 litre V8 engines, with power outputs likely to fall around 20 percent.

Revving to over 19,000 RPM a modern Formula One engine will consume a phenomenal 650 litres of air every second, with race fuel consumption typically around the 75 l/100 km (4 mpg) mark. Revving at such massive speeds equates to an accelerative force on the pistons of nearly 9000 times gravity. Unsurprisingly, engine failure remains one of the most common causes of retirement in races."

The old turbo formula one engines were a 1.5L V10 .. thats right 1.5 L!!

For 2006, the engines must be 90° V8 of 2.4 litres maximum capacity with a 98 mm maximum circular bore, which imply a 39.7 mm minimum stroke. They have two inlet and two exhaust circular valves per cylinder, are normally-aspirated and must have a 95 kg minimum weight.

Thats right .. a 39.7mm stroke.. OMG

the angle of seperation between the cylinders seem to make a huge diference to sound as well.A flat 4 like suburu has a much deeper note than a straight 4 . I understand that timing of the pulse is diferent but why the deeper note?

Horizontally opposed engines sound distinct because of alternate firing..

In a two-cylinder, horizontally opposed engine, the pistons are timed so that one fires on one revolution of the crankshaft and the other fires on the next revolution -- so one of the two pistons fires on every revolution of the crankshaft. This seems logical and gives the engine a balanced feeling. To create this type of engine, the crankshaft has two separate pins for the connecting rods from the pistons. The pins are 180 degrees apart from one another.

this diagram is similar to the subaru firing.. this diagram is a V6 though.. but you get the idea

ET-X-Odd6.gif

this diagram is for a even fire motor like a Honda.. NOT a subaruso in a 4 cylinder... one pistons fires for every 180 degrees of rotation.. like your Honda Civic or a Acura Integra etc etc....

ET-X-4Cyl.gif

Subaru's have ODD firing.. which gives it the rumble.. similar to a Harley Davidson

http://www.epi-eng.com/ET-PistonExcit.htm this page has LOTS of info reguaring engine pulses and even firing or odd firing