HybridZ

OK...here it is, the latest project.

Tim240z

1955 Pontiac Chieftain 4 door. 287ci V8 (all cast iron), with Hydromatic transmission (4-speed - again, all cast iron). Complete and running. Just got her back from the bodyshop. Here are some photos in chronological order, from the pictures provided by the seller, to the strip down for body and paint to returning from paint jail. I have had all the chrome re-plated and is all ready to bolt on:

Seller_Driver.jpg

Seller_DriverRear.jpg

Seller_DriverSeat.jpg

Seller_DSTail.jpg

Stage1Front.jpg

Stage2Front.jpg

Stage2Inside_rear.jpg

Stage2Inside_Front.jpg

Stage2Trunk.jpg

Stage2Dash.jpg

Stage2Passenger.jpg

FrontPS.jpg

Front.jpg

RearPS.jpg

RearDS.jpg

For now stock restoration....but if the drivetrain gives me ANY problems, I have a 357TT that needs a home!

I got a great deal on the paint and body work. There was ripples in the roof, a pretty big ding in the rear tail light area and several dents and dings. They took it down to bare metal, sealed and fixed all the body panels and painted.....for $3k. I just need to finish painting all the stuff that needs to be black in the front.

For now stock restoration...

Probably the best thing for the 4 door IMO. I have an aquaintance who has a customized Chieftain and I didn't think there were many left who even knew what the car was let alone restore one. Best bang for the buck is probably restoration. The work is really good looking from the photos and I'm sure your handiwork will make this project become top notch at its completion, judging by your work on the Z :mrgreen:

Go for it!!!

Davy

Looks like your doing a good job on the restoration, but I wouldn't put your 357TT in this car (your probably just joking anyway). I'm sure you'll find a suitable home for the TT anyway...maybe you already have and haven't told us yet.:eek2:

$3k and done in less than 4 months??!!! It takes that much money and that much time for a bodyshop around here to sneeze in the cars direction once they get it! I am totally convinced that it is worth the extra time to ship a car to another part of the country to have it painted.

Can you tell I have bad luck with autobody shops???

Joe

Tim, if you find you need any parts, I saw a whole group of '55s in a field just north of Dunigan Calif. just past the Northbound rest area on I-5

Thanks for the offer man!! Not a lot that I need, but I am keeping my eye open for one of the indian head light up hood ornaments, and I need to find a good hydramatic tranny in case this one is duff.....

I DO need to find a set of the plastic panels that wrap around the bottom/sides of the front bench seat...

Don't go out of your way, but if you happen upon them, let me know....

Thanks,

Tim

Yup, this was a Desert car all it's life. I bought it from a guy in Phalen, near Adelanto and Victorville for you SoCal guys.

Yeah, you are right....the car is positively cavernous inside....it is really neat driving these old cars.....it is just such a different style altogether....

Tim

Boy does that bring back memories. Had some fraternity brothers who had one of these. They got drunk one night and one of them tossed a quart beer bottle through the windshield. Don't know hwat got into them but then they knocked out all the glass and got a torch and cut the roof out. Ldeft the window and door frames - just cut the roof out. After that it somehow got named "The Toilet". It was pretty notorious on the U of Idaho campus for the rest of the year for various reasons.