HybridZ

Quick Question On Block Breather...Pic!

slownrusty

Gang - My new intake manifold does not have a provision in it to connect the factory block breather...what are my options? Red arrow in pic below:

169119527.jpg

1) Remove it somehow? It is threaded or pressed on?

2) Connect it to a catch can?

3) Put one of those little K&N valve cover filters on it?

What have you guys done? I would honestly like to remove it.

Regards - Yasin

Do not plug this up. If you do you will blow your oil seals and pop your oil dipstick up. You can either just leave it open which will through oil places, or you can put a filter on it but air is coming out so it won't help that much. Or you can run it to a ventilated catch can. I know someone who ran it with just a filter on it and never had any trouble.

It must be vented in atleast some manner. It's my opinion that it needs to be plumbed to a catch can and then to the intake manifold. Lots of guys just put a breather filter on it and that may be an answer for you in the short term sence you not running the stock efi.

The negative thing about the breather filter is that it will drip oil and make a mess of everything.

One note that everyone is missing. This is the Positive Crankcase Ventilation. It is there for a purpose. That is to provide a negative atmosphere inside the crankcase. It aids in a multitude of areas including better ring sealing (reduces buildup in the lands), prevents seals being blown out and reduces early oil contamination too. What manifold are you going to use? Is there no provision for the installation of a PCV valve (drill and tap a bung)? Do you have power brakes and can you tap into the vacuum line for that? Even my 67 Camaro had a venting system which consisted of a tube that ran down just below the body pan. A venturi affect was created while driving and the gases were evacuated that way. That system was replaced with what we're all familiar with today to prevent oil soiling the belly of the car and blatant gross pollution.

• Administrators

The info that ezzzzz and the link that NCchris posted is info you can take to the bank. At minimum, allow your crankcase to breathe with a filter on the crank case breather tube. Those tubes are just pressed in so you can rotate it for better intake/exhaust clearance if needed, please don’t plug it. At best, a strong vacuum in the crankcase is ideal. The OE PCV system is VERY good middle ground as it does draw air through the crankcase via the head from that breather in the valve cover for all those reasons ezzzz stated. Better ring seal, less contamination of the oil from combustion fumes due to “blow-by”, and will also help keep your gaskets and seals from leaking, oh, and the greenies next door appreciate the fact that you are not allowing those noxious crankcase fumes into the atmosphere. If you are going to use the PCV system, you will need either a little filter on your valve cover breather port or leave it vented to the air intake on the ambient pressure side of the throttle valve so that it utilizes the OE air cleaner for its air filtration, i.e. OE set up.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress,

Paul Ruschman

One thing I don't like about the PCV system is that they always seem to allow a little crud or oil into the intake. I like the catch can then to intake for vacuum idea. That might help keep the nasty crap out of the intake and still vacuum the crankcase. Just clean up that catch can when you do an oil change and you should have a happy engine.

As for the catch can idea; I bought a cheap catch can off of Ebay, Drilled a hole in the top center. (for a breather filter) Routed the other two holes to the block and valve cover. You could even use Braided Line. Looks nice and pretty. : )

Didn't want a filter to get oil every where. Also the catch can was something like $25 and is polished.

I bought a crankcase evacuation setup from Jeg's. Maybe someday I'll get to install it. Hooks the PCV up to the exhaust and uses Bernoulli's Principle to create vacuum in the crankcase. Apparently you can create a hell of a lot of vacuum this way, so you have to be a bit careful of sucking the front crank and rear main seal lips in, creating a big leak. I haven't fully figured it out, but I'm thinking a restricted orifice on the valve cover breather with the PCV hooked to the exhaust, or plug the one in the crankcase and run the valve cover to the exhaust, although I think the former would be better than the latter.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=14807

I'm a little late with a post on this thread, but oh well. Jon, if you plan on installing those crankcase exhaust collectors on your FP car you may want to double check the GCR. They are specifically prohibited in the SCCA W2W GCR, but I'm not entirely sure about autocrossing. It's a shame too because from what I heard it does work well.

I am using the exhaust evac tube... It does really generate a lot of flow volume... it does not create a lot of vacuum..

I run the top breather to the exhaust... I used a 12" rubber hose to connect to the check valve... then I used a metal tube(water heater gas line) to run down to the final header collector...

The PCV system comes from the bottom breather tube into a oil separator.. and on to a PCV manifold I made for the TWM intake....

airbox2.jpg

I almost forgot.... I am using the original "flow control valve" as a vacuum break... it normally draws vapors from the tank... but if it pulls a slight vacuum on the tank it begins to draw air through a tiny filter from the port that used to connect to the air cleaner.

Is Hines german? :wink: That sounds overly complicated John. Seems redundant too. If I read that correctly you have an evac system, AND a catch can, AND you're connected to the intake, AND you have a vent to prevent it pulling a vacuum. Wow. That's one complex PCV setup.

Preith, you're right, it's illegal. Not too important to me, as I'm not going for a national championship anyway. If I did decide that my car was of that caliber I could always retrofit on some drip rails and the change out the rest of the illegal stuff so that I could run legally.