HybridZ

S12 gazelle 9.12 @ 153.4 mph

Ben D

Just thought I'd let you blokes know that I got my S12 gazelle down to a test n tune the other night here in Australia and we put down a 9.12 @ 153.4 mph. Specs on the car include factory fitted 2 litre 4 cyl FJ20 ET engine, little street cams and turbo (garrett GT35R), 5 speed manual out of a R33 GTS-T and stock R200 LSD and Z31 T half shafts. The good bits are the Link G2 ECU and the modern motorsports Z31 stub axle upgrade. All glass etc. still in the car and 2600 lb weight. The air was good so the second pass of the night we turned it up to see if there was an 8 in it, but got into a wheelstand situation and had to get out of it and back on for a 9.7 at 151. Then the last pass of the evening the track went away and we could'nt get the power down.

Updated the timeslips section - I guess it might get up the noses of the 6 cyl and V8 guys to have the little 4 cylinder up there, but hey its a factory car with a factory fitted engine , factory fitted Z31 equivalent rear end, factory driveline configuration with the manual stick shift, so I guess its OK to post it here ?

Ben

Wow....that's one mean 2L motor! Some serious props, too considering it's still the factory engine...how many people can claim to run 9's on the factory motor? :o)

Bet u surprise many a monaro or falcon in that thing. (The look on thier face must be priceless when they see an economy car smoke 'em) :)

I was in Aus. last yr, we stopped there on the way home from the gulf....

I can say that if I ever decide to live outside the US Australia is where I wanna be.

Fremantle reminds me of my birthplace, Bethlehem,Pa

Not a bad thing at all

Just thought I'd let you blokes know that I got my S12 gazelle down to a test n tune the other night here in Australia and we put down a 9.12 @ 153.4 mph. Specs on the car include factory fitted 2 litre 4 cyl FJ20 ET engine' date=' little street cams and turbo (garrett GT35R), 5 speed manual out of a R33 GTS-T and stock R200 LSD and Z31 T half shafts. The good bits are the Link G2 ECU and the modern motorsports Z31 stub axle upgrade. All glass etc. still in the car and 2600 lb weight. The air was good so the second pass of the night we turned it up to see if there was an 8 in it, but got into a wheelstand situation and had to get out of it and back on for a 9.7 at 151. Then the last pass of the evening the track went away and we could'nt get the power down.

Updated the timeslips section - I guess it might get up the noses of the 6 cyl and V8 guys to have the little 4 cylinder up there, but hey its a factory car with a factory fitted engine , factory fitted Z31 equivalent rear end, factory driveline configuration with the manual stick shift, so I guess its OK to post it here ?

Ben[/quote']

Man... your little 4-banger makes my SBC look like $#it... INCREDIBLE. Gotta go cry now... I'm feeling like a wuss.

Thanks for the support Guys. It does show what can be done with the Z31T rear end. For those who asked, I'll give it a wheel alignment (looks like the toe /camber moved a bit after that second launch) and will tighten up the LSD a bit more then back for the nationals and jamboree. On a prepped track we should be able to get the power down in the higher gears and we'll see what she will do then. Still running the small street turbo and mild cams, though I'm not sure what I'd do with the extra power anyway if we upgraded either again.

Yes, the FJ is a great old motor - they appear to have the edge over SR20 and are at least equal to 4G63 mitsubishi in some areas. I'm running stock block, crank, inlet manifold etc., so they are great packages out of the factory. Pity they stopped making them 20 years ago......

Ben

Very impressive. Goes like hell.

I've never understood all the SR vs FJ references. Both engines are badass, but I've never felt the need to compare them.

I think everyone is always looking for a way to dog the 'popular' engine. :D

To compare on the level, compare the L20 and the FJ20. Those were the choices back then.

However rare, I knew a guy with an old Skyline with a pretty sick FJ20 in Japan. That thing was sweet. I want to say his was a dual cam, this one is a single cam? Or they just didn't put the "d" in the name until later engines?

I wouldnt call the GT35R a 'small street turbo', heh, or are you running on something else now?

I ran the car on the street with the GT35R and a tight turbine housing (0.82), I found it spooled about as well as an old T3/4 hybrid I had on a previous car, so I reckon they are definitely streetable . They don't pull like a bigblock from 2000 rpm (they are only 2 litres after all), but from 3500 on you have to hold on. So compared to other cars with similar performance, the GT35R is definitely on the small side. It would boogie with a 88-94 mm compressor on it I'd reckon.........

All the FJ20s are twin cam 16 valve, they are simply so old that Nissan was not using the D suffix for their motors back then in the early 80's. Today, nissan would call the turbo variant as FJ20DET.

But the comparison between FJ and L is correct, they were both around at the same time., though the L was a late 60's design and the FJ a late 70's early 80's design.

I still can't get over that run man. 9.1 on a shakedown run? That's increadible. You should be able to break into the 8's once you get the car more stable.

And on a stock longblock? I find this nuts personally.

...btw... what do complete FJ20 motors go for in aussie currency?... dang that was a nice run... You've got my respect for sure.