HybridZ

strength differences in L28 rods???

LT280z

im at a stand still at this point with my turbo set-up....

I need to know if there any differences in the strength of l28 rods specifically between the n42 block rods and the f54 turbo rods.

Heres the deal......

I am building a fully forged bottum end but it will have to take a while because i have other more important priorities that i need to take car of first...so i will have a fully forged bottum end but it wont be for another 4 or 5 months.....:frown:

Let me start by giving you my components(which are all in hand or in the mail) to give you a better idea of where im headed: Holset, 440cc's, megasquirt, fmic, tial 38mm wg, hks 2mm head gasket, p90 head, n47 intake, msd 6al, etc, etc

Either bottum end i use will be outfitted with ARP heads,mains,rods

options: #1 Very used f54 block with questionable cylinder walls

new bearings, arp, light hone , leave stock pistons and rings

option #2 11 thousand mile n42 bottum end

this bottum end has been bored 20 over and has new pistons, bearings, etc, etc

Option 2 is a very good n/a motor (runs like a champ) but will it hold up to 12psi on the street? I would rather use the n42 block because i know it has great compression, good bearings, good pistons and rings, etc and not have to spend the money on the f54 since the bottum end will only be in the car for a maximum of 6 months.

But will the n42 bottum end be a strong as the f54 outfitted with the same hardware? or is it a huge concern at 12psi (dont think so)

any and all help would be appreciated.

Ted:D

Thanks Drax & Piper,

I have found threads about the block itself but i cant seem to find any info on the rods from the n42 block....I was told a while back that all l28 rods were relatively the same rod????

Ive been searching for two days and have not found any definitive answers yet concerning the rods. I have total confidence in the block, but the rods are still in the grey area...

A fully stock L28ET motor will run 12psi until the end of time with proper fuel, spark and intercooling. Heck, it will run 18psi all day 24/7 without sweating if you give it the right air/fuel/ign curves. After 18psi I would start thinking about head gasket, and internal bolts. If you are only going to run 12psi, I think you can run almost any part from any motor as long as the compression ratios remain low. All the factory parts are pretty darned durable.

Thanks Cyg,

Compression will be 7.1....w/hks 2mm & p90 on the n42 bottum end.

As stated above either bottum end will be equipped with arp throughout.

Megasquirt will handle the fuel & timing, Holset Snail, etc

Maybe what i wrote above was confusing but the list above is what i will run on the temporary block

Your question is about the rods. The turbo rods are factory shot-peened and the non-turbo rods are not. DAW

^I did not know that! Cool.

Anyhow, 12psi is what I hear you saying...in reality, I see 18+ in your future...build it for 18+, not 12. Sounds like you already are anyhow.

Zeiss: A friend of mine is running 7:1 and has all the same components as i do and i love the way his car feels in Boost.........plus i would think detonation would not be as much of a factor @ 7:1 as it would be @ 8:1

18psi on the f54block or the n42????

So since i know the history and miles(low) on the n42 block i will run the n42 block, p90, 2mm, arp, and all the accessories stated above. My plan is to street tune with the wideband and go to the dyno for final tuning. The dyno is actually only about a mile from my office. At what psi of boost should i start to question the n42 rods??? I know of several people who run 18psi on f54 rods...but thats the problem...im not running a f54...so give me some advice here guys.........

The issue with L6 rods is not so much horsepower as it is rpm. If you keep the rpms down (under 7,000) on a 300 to 350 horsepower engine the rods and rod bearings should last just fine. That's assuming proper rod preparation, rotating assembly balancing, forged pistons, and ARP or the Nissan 9mm rod bolts.

• Like 1

I just tried a general internet search to see if the nissan part numbers for the turbo rods differed from the non-turbo rod, but I was not able to find any resources for that. Does anybody know of a place to check the part numbers? If the turbo rod was indeed different from the factory, it should carry a different part number as well.

• Like 1