HybridZ

240z or BMW 325 for track car?

Thumper

Which car should be my track car? And why?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which car should be my track car? And why?

• 87' BMW 325 (m20b27 w/turbo)
    • 70-72' Datsun 240z (l28et)

I just purchased a 87' BMW 325 and the BMW and I are growing on each other. I'm debating on which car I should make my track car the 325 or 240z? This would be a few solo II events but mostly full tracks. The BMW's can get as light as 1900lbs but mine would be closer to 2100 if I made it into a track car. They can get about 300-350hp (more if you push it and big turbo) out of a stock block with a good power band and the tranny's can take what you want to throw at them (the bmw engine for awhile will be limited to 6000rpms though due to long stroke/rod length). The rear-ends have 2.73lsd all way through to a 4.10lsd available.

The bmw and z suspension are similar. Mcpherson front's and semi-trailing arms in the rear on the bmw and mcpherson's all-way around on the z. I'm not sure on aerodynamics but being 15yrs newer probably the bmw (although the z "looks" more aerodynamic). The Bmw does have better brakes. They are vented and 4-wheel disks 260mm front 258mm rear. Both cars have similar prices on modifing parts.

I'm not too huge on looks so thats not a deciding factor. Mostly looking at reliabilty and all things being equal which car would be faster. Thanks

Just from driving the BMW's Ive had, I think the BMW would make an excellent track car, they are very balanced and easy to controll. I have very few mods to my e36 and I cant wait till I get started with some more. Z's are great too though, and just like you I would be torn between the two.

Im running Bilstein Sport struts and eibach springs, New control arms, balljoints, bushing etc. And it already on rails for a daily sedan. I cant imagine what some sways and coilovers would do. The down side with bimmers is... COST everythign seems to be expensive unless you are into fabbing stuff yourself, which it looks like you are

BTW my e36 will most likely be my next project :) with 225K miles can you say HYBRID coming soon? :)

DSCN6150.sized.jpg

The thing I like about the Z for a track car is that you don't see many at the track. BMW's are great on the track but you see them all the time. Cost is an issue with the BMW's but developed and proven parts are available that can make the BMW's handle like nobody's business.

I attend track days with a friend that drives a race prepped M3. Engine, brakes, motons, lexan, you name it. I can't touch him in the turns or under braking.

All that said, I'll still take my Z. I think it's a sickness.

BMW3 series prepped for road racing is awesome. I been beat by several in scca and nasa. when I went to drivers school Buccaneer region Roebling Road, ther was a dude there. He must have been 6' 5" 270lbs easy. He had this old 80s 325. But it had a race prepped M3 motor in it. Mine was a l28 3.0l trip webers 13.5:1 cr f54 p90 diyuble disc 5"clutch. 5 speed with a 4.11 r200. We raced all weekend. Most every event he would be 2nd and I would be 3rd. Even when I would grid super early to get out on track first. He would catch me. And every time he would come in he would just hop out of his car and climb into his camping chair. Wait for it to cool down and then fuel it up for the next round. I was so jealous. I think you really need to do some mods to the oiling system to make sure they dont starve in the corners but that goes for all cars. But to see him sittin on the factory motor knowing that it was solid while I was worryiong about every rod and cap bolt valve lash etc made me very envious.

Pics if you want

Hahaha what a funny thread. My best friend is modding his 325is for solo use, I now have my 240 that I'm building up for solo and my other friend Ryan is building up a porsche for solo. We are all on budget builds too, so it makes the race to be the fastest even more fun :-) Give us a few months and I'll tell you who is winning. It'll prolly be me though, seeing as how I'm the best driver :-P

Heh Posting this on A Z forum? expect some biased results

Yes I am but I also know this forum has lots of experience underneath its many belts. So far the only reason people would choose the Z over the BMW is cost (i've looked it up not that much more than a z) and because its not done as much/it is a z. Since i'm still going to have a z for a drag car/weekend warrior I will still have my z fix. Right now i'm leaning towards the BMW but it might change.

The major thing I don't like about the bmw is I know I will have a low rev limit (unless I rebuild the bottom end) so I will have to run a lower rear-end. Since I will have a lower final drive I'm going to run a smaller turbo for more spool (low-end power) but less top-end. Other than that I see the BMW as a perfect track car for a track noobie:icon44: Any other things I should consider? Thanks

Depends on the class, sanctioning body, and whether you want to win or just have fun. Tough call. The Z will always feel more like a real race car, but depending on class rules the BMW may be faster. In ITS we won ARRC's in Z's until the E36's came along and we saw the writing on the wall. I've driven both in IT trim and like the Z better but the E36 is faster- in that class. The BMW costs more to race (tires, motors, spares)- in that class. The Z looks more like a race car to me, but it comes down to what you're trying to accomplish. For the longest time the Volvo 142 was the hot car in ITB. Proof that you can't make a race car out of a pig, but you can make a damn fast pig. You don't say what class you intend to race in and what you're allowed to modify. That will determine which is faster.

Depends on the class, sanctioning body, and whether you want to win or just have fun. Tough call. The Z will always feel more like a real race car, but depending on class rules the BMW may be faster. In ITS we won ARRC's in Z's until the E36's came along and we saw the writing on the wall. I've driven both in IT trim and like the Z better but the E36 is faster- in that class. The BMW costs more to race (tires, motors, spares)- in that class. The Z looks more like a race car to me, but it comes down to what you're trying to accomplish. For the longest time the Volvo 142 was the hot car in ITB. Proof that you can't make a race car out of a pig, but you can make a damn fast pig. You don't say what class you intend to race in and what you're allowed to modify. That will determine which is faster.

Nah no competition. This will just be fun for now. I don't want to have to get serious or follow any rules. That for me would kill some of the fun. I still want to race with other cars just not in a sanctioned race.

• Administrators
The bimmer was meant to be a luxury daily driver, the z was intended to tear up the track, from what I've read anyway about the development of the z.

Sort of. The E30 BMW, specifically the M3 (same chassis) is the most successful touring car in all of history. Properly sorted, they are demons on the track.

• Administrators

The major thing I don't like about the bmw is I know I will have a low rev limit (unless I rebuild the bottom end) so I will have to run a lower rear-end. Since I will have a lower final drive I'm going to run a smaller turbo for more spool (low-end power) but less top-end. Other than that I see the BMW as a perfect track car for a track noobie:icon44: Any other things I should consider? Thanks

Thumper,

The Z is built far more robust then the BMW. Z's can be driven hard and put away wet, so to speak. Mechanical failures can usually be kept to almost nill with very limited attention. The BMW is quite a bit more fragile and less forgiving to thoughtlessness. Regular preventative maintenance is a must if you want absolute reliability. The pay off is that they have the potential to be very fast indeed. I own both and love both... for different reasons.

Things to consider are parts...

The Zcar, if done properly is gonna cost you... Simple as that... If you're doing a well setup track Zcar, Add the parts for Coil overs, big brakes, and all the other mods needed to make it capable and competitive. In the ITS ranks the BMWs have been beating the Zs in most regions for the last decade. Bottom line is parts to make the Z competitive aren't cheap.

The Bimmer, yea it'll be more expensive to buy new parts for, but has a lot more used parts on the market. They are great cars and can be made to beat the snot out of many higher end cars. It boils down to what you like... And the BMW in anything prior to the 46 models (2000 and newer) were very reasonably light... As a comparison, My wife's 1997 328is four door sedan is about the same approximate weight as my little 2002 M Roadster. The E30 and E36 cars are reasonably light off the showroom floor and can be lightened to easilyt dip below 2500# for track duty.

I think it boils down to preference. If you have both, and can afford it, Do both! Then you make the choice! :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

Having built both cars for customers, I can say without a doubt that:

1. The car with the most time and money spent on preparation and development will be the faster car.

2. The car with the best driver will be the fastest one around the track.

If you put $10,000 into either car, you'll have a fast track car. The BMW might be cheaper though because rust is really not an issue, at least from what I've see here in CA. With the BMW you can also race with BMWCCA which is about the best marque club racing series in the country. Don't expect to be happy with just doing track days for the next 10 years, you'll want to do some real racing sooner then you think.

The 240Z will be worth more when done, especially to the Vintage crowd, so you can get more of your money out of it when it comes time to sell. Except for the M3, none of the E30s are increasing in value, especially when prepped as a race car.