HybridZ

new motor (budget)

Guest jestr73

Guest jestr73

Wanting to upgrade to a new motor from my stock L24. I have a starting budget of arond $6000.00. Jut curious what I might be able to do to achieve the most bang for my buck.

Guest jestr73

I have searched so many posts in the last few days that have been very helpfull in answering some technical questions, but I havent seen anything giving me an idea of what costs have been associated with some of the engine swaps that have been done. I am very open minded as far as what motor is used i.e. V8,RB, or built l28.

I am going with the Toyota 2RZ 2.4 4-banger.... can be had from Ebay for $400 to $600 as a stripped motor, more if you want a complete pull. $6000 would put me in the range of 25-35#'s of boost.... probably 500+ hp when all was said and done. Not as light as the SR20, not as almighty as the LSx. Cheaper than either, with torque somewhere in-between the two.

There are a lot of posts about costs. Some of them with "cost" in the title.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=67657&highlight=cost

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115640&highlight=cost

You have to weed out what costs are actually associated with the swap and what other mods people threw into their total.

$6000 really isn't a lot of money. An LSx swap will go through that in a heartbeat. Don't even consider an RB swap unless you can put a "1" in front of the 6.

Your absolute best bet it to find a complete, totaled vehicle and sell off the unused parts to offset the swap cost. Most people don't have the time, patience and/or facilities to do that though.

But everything I have just said can be found by searching. You might want to do that and ask some more specific questions before your thread is locked and discarded.

Hmmmm.... I can say from experience that a V-8 is going to be the easiest to maintain for track use...

A high HP L24-28 na/turbo is going to cost a good deal of money and reliability goes down as HP goes up...

=======================================================

Any engine swap/hybrid is going to involve a lot more money than you think getting it well sorted out...

for instance... a chevy V-8 swap needs a tranny... World class T5s are getting to be >$1000 in any condition from junk yards... that will significantly increase the cost of your swap...

Speedo, Tachometer, and ancilliary guages have to be sorted out... clutch parts, hydraulics, back up switches, speedo gears, lockouts, linkages, mounts, hardware can add up more than you think...

Most modern swaps are going to need reprogramming and piggy back systems for turbo upgrades...

Exhaust systems are often expensive because of the fabrication time involved getting it just right...

=======================================================

adding a lot of horsepower can bring handling and braking issues into light... chassis preparation to match... even for street use can get into the thousands $$$....

You really can't put a price tag on it... there are a lot of engine swaps at shows that only do well in a straight line... a well sorted out high performance makeover typically costs $10,000...

Bodywork is in a class of it's own....

Guest jestr73

Well thanks for all of the input. I've decided to get some more HP, but keep it simple. I'm going with a stroker from Rebello. I've talked to them a couple of times now and I think that is my best bet for what I want to do. Its a no brainer as far as time and modification.

First thing Zfury that is the blackest car I've ever seen!!!! The paint looks amazing, It looks great!

I was wondering If anyone has ever done a swap of a 280zxt motor into a S30? Just Kidding.

Anyways, I've heard alot of people have found crashed turbo Z's and picked them up for cheap, have any of you ever done the swap this way and how much did the car cost you.