HybridZ

Z31 ECU/MAF vs Megasquirt

darkzebra

How does a Z31 ECU/MAF setup stack against Megasquirt?

I have a stock 1982 280ZXT with 97K miles and am installing with the following upgrades (+ brakes & suspension):

NPR intercooler, 2.5" downpipe into 3" exhaust, Walbro 255 fuel pump, 420 injectors, and rebuilt T3/T4.

Do I need to spend on Megasquirt or should I use the 300ZX ECU/MAF instead? If the 300ZX setup, is there anyone who programs the ECU?

My goal is a fast sleeper, not a racer (too old for that)

• Administrators

With Mega squirt, you have TOTAL unimpeded control over fuel and spark to tune around pretty much any thing you do to the engine, now or it eh future, i.e. alcohol injection control, radical cam, crazy boost levels, run distributor less ignition, run the cooling fan, Nitrous and even have separate fuel and spark maps for Nitrous etc. With Mega Squirt you will be able “dial in” the package.

As for the OE EFI route, you will be limited to what you can do to the engine and still maintain smooth transitional throttle response with no flat spots in the power band as you don’t have “full” control over the fuel and spark maps, and you won’t have the ability to incorporate accessories such as additional injectors, alcohol injection, etc to be controlled by the ECU.

My opinion is if you pan to move very far away from stock components, boost levels, etc, definitely use an aftermarket standalone Engine management such a s Mega Squirt or WOLF and you wont be limiting your power potential due to your engine management system.

Everything Paul (BRAAP) said, plus...

With 420cc/min injectors, you are going to have a hard time getting it drivable. Yea, you might be able to get run right for max power, but around town and at idle, it will probably not run very well.

With all the mods you plan, consider either MS or another aftermarket system. You will get the most out of your other mods, and still retain economy at idle and cruise.

Does anyone have (or know where I can get) fuel map and other configuration data for MSII PCB 3.0 suitable for my setup (or something similiar)?

That would give me a good start

NPR intercooler with 2.5" piping, 2.5" downpipe into 3" freelow exhaust, Walbro 255 fuel pump, 420 injectors, and rebuilt T3/T4, all on STOCK INTERNALS of an 82 ZXT

Does anyone have (or know where I can get) fuel map and other configuration data for MSII PCB 3.0 suitable for my setup (or something similiar)?

That would give me a good start

NPR intercooler with 2.5" piping, 2.5" downpipe into 3" freelow exhaust, Walbro 255 fuel pump, 420 injectors, and rebuilt T3/T4, all on STOCK INTERNALS of an 82 ZXT

If someone can't give you there file. Don't let it steer you away. The setup in MS gets you a pretty decent ready to drive map. I was suprised that I could start driving and tunning with what I puched in for fuel. You will need a wideband if you want to get it perfect under all conditions.

With 420cc/min injectors, you are going to have a hard time getting it drivable. Yea, you might be able to get run right for max power, but around town and at idle, it will probably not run very well.

I have to disagree. I had the setup he is describing with 420cc injectors running Z31 MAF/ECU. Mine ran perfect and this was in 1995. Jim Wolfe Technology did the tuning and I never stepped foot in his shop. He just mailed me the new chips based on feedback I gave him. This swap has been done since so many times over I would be shocked if you called him and he didn't offer you multiple options to send out immediately.

I personally have never run Megasquirt or some of the others so can't speak for them. They probably work great too. Just telling you the the Z31 stuff worked great with zero hassles too.

This was my old setup.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=7530&cat=500&ppuser=11637

My previous statement was refering to the use of a stock ECU.

Yes, if you get the Jim Wolf ECU for the 420cc/min inectors, it will run fine. But with what you spent on that, you could have a completely programmable system in Megasquirt.

• 2 years later...

I have not used MS but I did do the Z31 ECU upgrade (yes I would say its an Upgrade). For my experience has been more positive than negative so far. I mean I did notice a sizeable difference right away on the first test drive. Everythign was smoother, RPM's lasted longer Power felt better. I did tweak my manifold and TB I did add a newer fuel pump and FPR, I did make my own Manual boost controller that I add about 2-3psi more boost at times, and I did increase Exhaust size to 3" all the way and used a 300zxt Turbo with Water cooling and the MAF instead of AFM. So with a couple $100 bucks I think it was about $400 total for tools supplies, wrecker parts ect ect My Car impressed a good 40cars one night on Sunday All imports mostly Nissans. It looks rough because im running crappy front fenders at this time but they never expected the power I had. I easily kept up with SR20t's 300zxtt's Skylins RB20's and 25's. I didnt kill em all but I was right there with em and thats running a crappy Auto (till I get this damn 5speed in friggin SNOW!!!!) so I agree depends on future plans. But I mean for what I have now its hauls pretty good. Pretty much feels like a whole new car other than handelling (future lol) but engine wise with some basic stuff it really is alot more fun and enjoyable to drive.

this theme of thread has been done to death-

If you've got the time and the interest its MS (FTW!!!)

If you've got the money and not the time send it to a tuning shop.

The major difference you'll see is MSs' ability to adapt to any future changes you make outside of you initial plan - I personally love the security blanket this offers (great for indecisive projects).

Sometimes it can be easier if you have to money to get it tuned by someone else, wolf etc... my personal feelings on this are that it's not as versatile or rewarding an experience but it's definately the path of less resistance if you're so inclined and don't like the steep learning curve involved in self-tuning...

As far as getting a map to suite... hybridZ is packed with fuel maps, if you're running an L there's somehting here for you (>search<) it won't be exact, everybodies sensors have slightly different offsets, responsiveness etc etc but it will get you damned close and you can just tweak a little here and there will put you on the money.

just my 2c.

Cheers,:burnout:

I will be doing the z31/maf just because I already have all the parts(just from acquiring them over the past few years of dealing with so many Z31s before I got into the L-series engines. The only thing I didn't have was a harness, I think the easiest thing was for me, was to use a stock z31 harness. Plus I already have a ecu with nistune on it setup for 324cc injectors, which isnt what i have on my l28, but ill set it up for the injectors im running.

RUZN, what injectors are you running, and did you modify the l28 harness?, I have stock 85 turbo z31 injectors, 260cc, as opposed to l28 injectos, 270cc, my stock l28 injectors were toast, since I have nistune, ill just riched it up a little probably with the duty cylce or something.

I'm running the JWT set-up with 420 cc MB injectots and Cobra MAF. Mod'ing the L28et harness was a breeze. Runs and drives unbelieveable. Be sure to get the installation sheet from JWT site, I believe you have to swap wires to injector 2 and 5. Good luck...

Ok, with Megasquirt you probably have faster and easier access to info and hardware interface, but making statements that suggest that all of those things cannot be done with the Nissan ecu is completely false. Not only is there the z31 upgrade there is also the m30 upgrade that allows sequential injection, better tps input, and datalogging. Recently there has been the breakthrough made with using the z32 ecu which also uses coil on plug ignition and controllable outputs. I have also seen the Nissan ecu's purr like a kitten with 680cc injectors.