HybridZ

Would you drive your Z 500+ miles?

240zV8

I have two questions I want to put in this thread. First, list what engine and trans you have, and then I want to see how comfortable you would be driving your Z long distance. I know there are alot of factors in a reliable engine, but i'm starting to lean towards a first gen 350 for overall reliability and power in a 100% street driven Z.

Second, I want to do this just to get everyone's opinion. If you had two engines in indentical shape, one a L28, and a 350. They both are driven the exact same way, which engine would last longer?

I know it might be a wierd thread, but I think the extra cost of swapping in a good 350 would save alot in the long run, because everyone I talk to say the l28's are very tempermental and not that reliable for a daily driver, if you want it to start everytime in cold weather, and not let you down and still have enough power.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, i know right? I just know that two of my friends have Z's with l28's, one built, and the other completely stock, and they both seem to have problems constantly and it puts them in a bad mood about the car.... I guess i'm just trying to settle what i want to do once and for all, because i've gone back and forth lately. Eventually I want a 350-400hp car, but I'm realistic, I need to start somewhere low to begin with, and work my way up. I'll probably buy my friends dads 77 chevy pickup with a great running 350 with 70k miles and a bad rusty body for $300, put it in a Z, see how well it pushes it, and then spend $800 or so bringing it back to life with a intake, head work, pistons/rings, maybe just rebuild the carb. I'll definently need help with that stuff. I just want to get as many opinions about the two engines so I can make the right choice the first time around.

100% street driven, not full daily driver, more recreational driving in the mountains and city, but want it to have power for anything. $1000-$2000 for the engine. 350 or l28?

When I built my last motor (L28, triples, cam, etc, ~240whp) I put about 500 miles on it, changed the oil, then drove it from San Luis Obispo to Thunderhill about 350 miles, did some open track racing, then drove home. It was 114 degrees in Willows. Engine did fine. Brakes... that's another story...

No offense, but it sounds like your friends aren't very good mechanics. The L is super easy to keep on the road. If there is any liability there its the craptastic stock fuel injection. Get rid of that and replace with either aftermarket injection or carbs and the engine should run forever with just normal maintenance.

For reliable 350-400 horses go V8. Other wise, I think the reliability of your friend's L28s are related more to 30 y/o wiring looms than the engine itself. Spend money and time on redoing the whole wiring and tuning the carbs right and you'll have a reliable L28.

One more thing to think about is the fact that with the SBC you can find parts at autozone and simillar stores in the event that the car breaks down, it's easier to fix with an american made V8. Just my 0.02 though.

I agree that the L28 will last forever with standard maintanence and upgraded fuel injection. I drove my old junkyard turbo l28 to the MSA show and back. Total of ~800 miles without a hitch. The furthest I drove my V8 Z was 200 miles round trip because the gearing was too short for the freeway.

I cant even remember how many times I've taken long trips in my Z. Constantly sums it up pretty well. Ask any of the SEZ guys, I usually put 1000+ miles on my Z for those weekends. Drive it to the event, beat the crap out of it and then drive it home.

Went up to Alabama 2 weekends ago. About 900miles or so. The L has definitely been good to me on road trips.

Personally i think that the clunky L series motors are good just with one exception, just like Jon said the fuel injected L28 just suck. I had my car for awhile now andn i have been driving it around and around untill one of my injectors went bad. Replased 2 weeks later another one is leaking. You get the point. Chane the freaking thing.

And as far is taking long trips i have been about 400 miles one way and then about 450 the other way and it did fine, i just noticed that once in litle awhile it overheats. Not bad but the temp gauge just raises up a bit. The only thing is that the stock seats, and most of you will agree with me on that one. Thay they suck, i hurt my back in them for sitting in them for more then an hour.

Thanks for the input so far. I like the fact about parts being so available for 350's, i wish someone close had a v8z I could test drive. There's always lt1's for sale for like $1000 around here, and a shop here has crate 350's for $1200. Doesn't it cost like $2000 to rebuild a l28 to have some nice power compared to one of those crate 350's?

Yes, especially when you're not going turbo, getting power out of the L is like squeezing blood from a stone in my opinion. It's a LOT of money for not much hp. When you're talking normally aspirated, a V8 will be MUCH easier to hit high hp goals in with less cost. Many crate motors with a 4 barrel carb will push 350+ hp. To do that in an L you need a (bigger than stock) turbo, intercooler, aftermarket fuel injeciton, bigger injectors, etc etc etc. If you want to find out exactly what it takes, read this thread: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115887

Yes, especially when you're not going turbo, getting power out of the L is like squeezing blood from a stone in my opinion. It's a LOT of money for not much hp. When you're talking normally aspirated, a V8 will be MUCH easier to hit high hp goals in with less cost. Many crate motors with a 4 barrel carb will push 350+ hp. To do that in an L you need a (bigger than stock) turbo, intercooler, aftermarket fuel injeciton, bigger injectors, etc etc etc. If you want to find out exactly what it takes, read this thread: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115887

yea thats what i was thinking. For the cost of the chevy swap (mounts, dist, driveshaft, ujoints, sending units, exhaust, radiator, hoses) i could get a nice setup for $2000 with a v8 and have alot more power. I don't really know how to deal with tuning turbo's or fuel injection for that matter, so I think a carb'd v8 is the way for me. I'm gonna search on here for someone local who has a v8 Z that would let me check it out.

My 280zxt went to Mexico and back(+1k miles) the summer I bought it non-running. All I did was clean electrical connections and rewire some stuff.

My 280z hasn't been on the long of trips. Maybe a few 200 mile trips, but without defroster (currently) I won't be taking it anywhere far for any time soon. Next year once it gets paint I might visit Chicago in it (~+1200 miles each way).

Mario

• Administrators

L Series Fuel Injection = Unreliable (even if in good condition)

I'll be the first to admit that the OE EFI is confining in terms of power... but in no way is it unreliable. If it is in 'good' condition (as you say), it is nearly bulletproof. I've owned and tuned countless systems and reliability has never been the 'nose wrinkler'.