HybridZ

HybridZ vs contemporary cars: RE: How Fast, really?

lesd

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll see how my car fares on the scales, but I don't have too much more than your standard 6 point ITS style roll cage in mine and those guys get down to 2250 if I remember correctly. I have a pretty standard ITS cage built roughly off of katman's article from way back when. He says 65 ft of tube in his cage, and that should weigh in at ~104 lbs with 1.5 x .120 DOM, but I used heavier 1.75 x .120 wall tubing that should add a little weight (+31 lbs at 1.59 vs 2.08 lbs/ft). I also added subframe connectors (+12 lbs), the X from the strut towers to the rockers and weld in strut tower bar (+10 lbs) and the V from the strut towers to the dash bar (+8 lbs). The extra bars in the cage were done with 1.65 x .065 DOM @ roughly 1lb/ft. In addition I removed the dash and heater box, so I'll get some weight back vs the ITS car. By my rough calculations it looks like I should be adding ~165 lbs to the bare chassis, which is a 1st generation Z and people have gotten these things under 1900 lbs race weight.

I know that bj's car was built with a similar intention for low weight to mine, although I can't say for sure how much his car should weigh vs the ITS machine. I know he has gone a bit nuts with the hole saw in the quest for light weight, so I can't really factor that in. BJ, did you save all your little disks you cut out to weigh them???

All I can say is if my car weighs more than 2500 lbs when I get done with the engine swap I'm going to bust out the sawzall and get rid of some weight!!! I'm expecting something like 2200 lbs with the 6 in there, give or take. I'd like it to be less than stock with the V8 when that eventually happens, but the 6 will be in there for a while I'm afraid. The goal IS low weight. That IS what makes these cars so potent on the road course.

Over the years my perspective has really changed. I used to be all about the "I can beat you if I spend X", but then I realized that any car can be made to beat any other car given enough time and money. Never forget that you are assuming the other car stays the same in the process.

So then I came to realize that it's more about building something with your own hands, being the "artist" as someone put it, that gives the real satisfaction. Yeah we all love speed and we all want to spank someone from time to time, but I dont think thats what drives us to modify our beloved Z cars (or at least, thats not what drives me).

The points about safety are very important. I often think how painful it will be, not just physically but emotionally, if I crash my Z after spending all this time and money on it. Unfortunately that's the risk you take when you go down the road of modifying cars. You have to understand the limits of your car and shouldnt push the envelope unless you accept the risks.

Weight is also important to me, and one of the reasons the Z was so appealing to begin with. If I find myself creeping over 2500 lb I will be very concerned too. Going 200 mph isnt something I care about -- 150 will be plenty! Getting the Z to modern aerodynamics would be a challenge.

Don't get me wrong, though -- it would definitely put a smile on my face to pass a 100K car, and Im sure I will do it on a few occasions ;)

- Greg -

Great vid!

That is from my neck of the woods. Mosport. I know the track well. I like to watch from Moss's corner (corner 5 hairpin) Best action spot on the track.

I know the Z in the video as well. There are parts of that car in my own. It also has the smaller set of matching rear flares to mine. hehe It has a buick V6 in it. One of the fastest Z's I've seen, and holds the class track record back with the older L28! he used to run.

Scott.

Great vid!

That is from my neck of the woods. Mosport. I know the track well. I like to watch from Moss's corner (corner 5 hairpin) Best action spot on the track.

I know the Z in the video as well. There are parts of that car in my own. It also has the smaller set of matching rear flares to mine. hehe It has a buick V6 in it. One of the fastest Z's I've seen, and holds the class track record back with the older L28! he used to run.

Scott.

thats awesome scott, I would like to see this thing in person for sure.. heh I bet the ride is amazing as well! lol..

Not dealing with a Z but just shows that new non performance cars can go really fast and still be stable. In the latest Car and Driver a man was caught doing 147 mph in a Hyndai Sonata, in the picture it looks like hes doing nothing out of the ordinary, just driving down the highway.

I think what drives Z owners to customize their Z isnt the fact that you can put some huge motor in it and make it go fast, you can do that to any car. Its more of the nastalgia and knowing that you have a part in history of Datsun. If you want a fast car that you can drive hard and put away wet get a new car.

To me the reason I have my Z is once I get it on the road, maintaining it and needing to take better car of it then a new car will be the fun. Knowing that I need to take care of it and knowing Ill know every nut and bolt makes it fun to own.

Its more of the nastalgia and knowing that you have a part in history of Datsun. If you want a fast car that you can drive hard and put away wet get a new car.

Though I agree with this I think it's more than just that. For me there aren't many new cars that trill me. There's no such thing as a reasonably priced car on the mainstream market that really excites me. There's just something about some cars that's just magical. The way a Z feels and rides is just special. It's that X factor that can't be defined. The Z has that, and though it isn't everyone's cup of tea it beats much of the mainstream market's appeal by a wide margin.

The simple lack of enthusiasm in car creation nowadays sickening to me. And most cars are so disconnected feeling by yesteryear's standard. I know there are some exotics out there that blow away most cars of past history, but you simply can't get now what the Z was back in it's day.

That alone makes them worthwhile cars. I can think of other cars that give me goosebumps driving, but what's their $$$ and what kinda potential do they have? The Z cars are like canvas just waiting to be painted on. They're affordable, and have lots of flexibility.

Guest daddy Z
It is stone cold reliable and has been used as a daily driver for the 15 years I've owned it, including the 4 years since the drivetrain upgrade. Yes, it has manual steering. No, it doesn't have cruise control or a nav system. Is it fun to drive. Not at all - it is an absolute blast!

I know this Z and it is everything he says!

Bob- long time no talk! So now you're over on Hybridz?! Welcome!

I think my older son summed it up pretty good after he had driven both the Z32 convertible and the LS1 280Z. He said that the convertible was a great cruising car - automatic, great AC, cruise control and very good handling and braking with reasonable performance. It's the type of car you can get in, point down the road and and just unwind.

The 280, however, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet. Two cars with very different personalities and I love them both.

The 280, however, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet.

I've been thinking of different ways to describe the personality of my Z and this is the BEST I've come across with the added thought that it's always eager to be turned loose to run as fast as possible. Everytime I take it for a spin I fall more in love with it and it definitely reminds me of the head strong horses my sisters had when we were kids. They were always very eager to run and would take any chance you gave them to do just that.

Wheelman

• 4 months later...

I've spent more than 6 months with my latest love, my 2001 996 Twin Turbo. Last weekend I spent three days at VIR lapping at very high speeds (160MPH on the long straights for 30 minutes at a time!), with the AC on, in 95-99 degree weather, running at the front of my group. Monday, I swapped the brakes and tires back to street fare, and drove it to work the last two days of this week... With leather, moon roof, CD changer, AC, cutting edge technology, this is the "Dream/Supercar" I always wanted in every Zcar I've owned. I ran some very fast laps, in a 3564# car, and have no illusions that the car "should be" XYZX weight... It's FAST, looks like an exotic, and does everything well. That's what I always wanted in my Zcar!

I'm still looking for that Zcar.

Mike

I've spent more than 6 months with my latest love, my 2001 996 Twin Turbo. Last weekend I spent three days at VIR lapping at very high speeds (160MPH on the long straights for 30 minutes at a time!), with the AC on, in 95-99 degree weather, running at the front of my group. Monday, I swapped the brakes and tires back to street fare, and drove it to work the last two days of this week... With leather, moon roof, CD changer, AC, cutting edge technology, this is the "Dream/Supercar" I always wanted in every Zcar I've owned. I ran some very fast laps, in a 3564# car, and have no illusions that the car "should be" XYZX weight... It's FAST, looks like an exotic, and does everything well. That's what I always wanted in my Zcar!

I'm still looking for that Zcar.

Mike

It's in my basement....minus the AC, sound system, leather, moon roof, cup holders and a 1000 lbs. and any other creature comfort you can imagine. A Z will never be a P car and that ain't a cut on the Z. THe porsche is just an amazing feat of engineering.

It's in my basement....minus the AC, sound system, leather, moon roof, cup holders and a 1000 lbs. and any other creature comfort you can imagine. A Z will never be a P car and that ain't a cut on the Z. THe porsche is just an amazing feat of engineering.

You hit it on the head, Mark... Don't get me wrong... I love MY Z... I love it because it's a Z that I'm not trying to make be a Porsche 911TT. It's a Zcar... My expectations are within their limits, for a highly modified Zcar, not a Zcar that I wish were something else! :2thumbs:

Mike