HybridZ

Just finished up my exhaust, wanted to share.

Sparky

Well, I finally had a break from my projects (not really, but i took one anyway :) ) So I went out into the garage and attacked my exhaust install over the last two days. Its now 3" mandrel bent, using a dynomax ultraflow. I have yet to start the car though; it seems that somebody forgot to turn the ignition off last time he started it, draining the battery. duh. So now the battery is charging, and hopefully sometime on monday after I turn in my final project I will get to head to the garage and hear her in all her -hopefully- silent glory....or atleast not as loud as she was before. anywho, I will need to redo the system at some point in the future because it sits WAY too low now, the lowest point is right at the rear wheels though, so that might not cause as many issues as it could if it was in the middle of the car. I tell you, working on a cold garage floor with tiny jackstands sucks! not only that, but the welder I'm using is a 100$ HF thing with flux (eek) core wire in it. PITA, but I got it done, and like I said, when I get a chance to put it on a lift I will TIG up a SS system tighter to the body. well...on with the pictures:

looks like she is sitting a little funky but its just the driveway

arseend1.jpg

threeqtr1.jpg

a dollar and one cookie to whoever can identify my special exhaust tip :lol:

left11.jpg

well, I also figured that I would throw in a few more shots for the heck of it, I'm like a proud parent whenever I get a chance to just step back and take a look at all the work I've done with lack luster tools and tiny working space. I'm happy with the results so far...but changes are already in the works. :)

front11.jpg

frontend2.jpg

well thats all for now but I do have a question, I was thinking of having the exhaust coated flat black, just to hide it a little, but now that its done and I can see it, I kinda like it. What does everyone think? to black it out, or not to black it out...hmmmm...

That looks great. Is the tip a velocity stack? If so I want my dollar and cookie!! Did you ever think of doing dual exhaust? I was wondering if you could fit it, or would the gas tank be in the way. My idea was to split it right behind the diff and right in front of the gas tank. Think it would work?

good job spark! i'll let you know when i'm ready for you do do mine! Oh! and where in tx are you?

Im in San Antonio, stop on by and leave your car with me for a few days and I'll take good care of it! :lol:

Looks real good. Next time tack it up and then send it to me to finish weld. I'll finish it up and send it back. The UPS hub it on the way to work.

I personally think to have it coated in a silver finish.

Sweet, thats a heck of an offer! much appreciated and I just might take you up on that!

the more I look at it, the more I like the silver or natural finish...still on the fence.

looks good. My guess is that exhaust tip comes from some kind of sport bike exhaust....? is it smaller in diameter than the piping itself?

its 3", and thats a good guess....but keep trying! :)

looks great! if you are going to re-do it dont coat it.
That looks great. Is the tip a velocity stack? If so I want my dollar and cookie!! Did you ever think of doing dual exhaust? I was wondering if you could fit it, or would the gas tank be in the way. My idea was to split it right behind the diff and right in front of the gas tank. Think it would work?

Thanks! Thats another good guess...no cookie for you!

Alex's Sr20 car is running a dual exhaust, I think it can work visually, but really requires a fuel cell and some metal tweaking that is a bit beyond the scope of this car. I tend to try and modify the body shell as little as possible so if at one point in time I would want to restore it back to stock, I can without going into too much trouble.

Looking good sparky. I'm running a 3" to a dynomax too.

how do you like it? any trouble or annoying quirks with it so far? I really liked the sound of my car with an open exhaust, but its not so good for the local busy body police. come Monday I will find out if I like it or not...I'm anticipating a big smile though. :)

Thanks everyone for the good feedback, I still have a cookie to give away, if I dont get hungry and eat it later tonight :)

Looking good man!!.. I like how you positioned your muffler. I did my exhaust in 3" stainless and I think I am giong to take it down and paint it black. one of my buddies discovered VHT paint at autozone.. its supposed to be good up to 2k deg. He has it on his Turbo S2000.. works and looks awesome!!

how do you like it? any trouble or annoying quirks with it so far? I really liked the sound of my car with an open exhaust, but its not so good for the local busy body police. come Monday I will find out if I like it or not...I'm anticipating a big smile though. :)

I like it. It's no where near as loud as an open exhaust but still aggresive sounding when you get on it. You might get slight droning on the freeway but it's not annoying at all.