HybridZ

New wheels, Man this has to be the hardest!!!

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Ok I have searched so many times and on so many diffrent sites so please don't say Search. I would like to get some ideas from you who have already updates the wheels on your 240z260z280z. I understand that the factory bolt pattern is 4x4.5 (114.3) and in a 17" which I am looking for the offset of 0 on a 8" rim is what I see to be the best.

Here is where it gets difficult, It seems there is very limmited wheels made with this spec these days. So what have you done. I know about the use of a wheel spacer/adaptor but would like to try and avoid this if possible. I also have considered the CCW Classic as so many others here have, I would just like to be a little diffrent. I like them and the 2200.00 price is not the thing that turns me off. I would just like to be able to put some of the wheel choices that maybe a Skyline or 350z might have on my 240z. I am not interested in Bling rather I like the more understated wheels.

I should have my car back from Paint inthe next week or two and would like to get the suspension back on and set it on the ground..Please help me find a wheel and size that will fit my needs. Oh I have stock body lines and will be sitting on coil overs. So they must fit under a stock body but I would like to be able to put as much rubber onthem as possible because the car is a RB...

Thanks in Advance.

Jeff

Personall opinion here, no offence ment.....

I like cool wheels as much as the next guy, but I would tend to think of the rest of the setup first.. what are you running for brakes? In my case, I have the crapy stock brakes and I'm going to upgrade to a 300zx/toyota calipers up front, and maybe a rear disk setup as well. (or something to that effect :lol: )

BUT I don't know if my 14" sloted mags will fit over the calipers. SO; My thinking is if they don't work, I'll go to a 300zx 5 lug pattern (a well documented swap, it's here somewhere..) and go searching for wheels that I like with the 5 lug pattern.. I think it's the same as some ford vehicles.. and there are a world of aftermarket wheels in a 5 lug.

Basically, I wouldn't go looking for new wheels if you're going to do any sort of brake upgrade in the future.. (which I assume you'll be considering, if you havn't done something yet..) if you're changing brakes, it's easy to pick and choose a new/diffrent lug pattern at the same time, rather than go the other way...

Sorry,

There really isn't anything available for our cars in the stock bolt pattern and backspacing except the Watanabes and other such difficult to find/get Jap stuff.

I finally did the five lug conversion from Arizona Z-Car with the 12" brakes.

Now I can use anything that fits on a 5 on 41/2" bolt pattern. Which means any 5 lug Mustang stuff.

Here is what I wound up with. They are 17x8" with like a 25mm offset.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=6440&cat=500&ppuser=14594

Good luck, Mike.

There used to be a lot more choices in performance wheels available in Z fitment, but that limits you to shopping used places. I got my Impuls from www.rbmotoring.com. They mostly cater to the sylvia/skyline crowd, but you can find wheels there every once in awhile. The ones I got require an adapter, but the wheels are drilled for both 4X114.3 AND 5X114.3, so I thought that was pretty cool. If I were buying wheels now, I'd be looking at trying to find a set of Advan Onis in 16X8, 0 offset. Or possibly an SSR Mk II in a similar size. I like the look of older Japanese wheels that you don't see all the time over here. Watanabes look nice, but EVERYBODY has them...I don't think I've ever heard of another set of Impul Hoshino RS-III's anywhere, so I'm feeling pretty exclusive. If you're going to be different go all the way! Maybe some Ronal Teddy Bears...NOBODY bought those wheels back in the day:

10-07-06_1642.jpg

Now THAT'S hot!

Guest Aguyandaredhead

My wife might like the teddy bears, however I dont think they would look right under her 05 Magnum RT..

Brakes are taken care of. Very large 4piston and disc conversion in the back. Just a little history for the people that don't know my project. I am trying to the best of my ability not to skimp on any aspect of this car. Let's just say that I could have bought a nice German car for what I have spent of this so far.. Don't tell the wife.

It's not that I am looking for ultra-modern wheels just something other than the norm or the standard 3 piece wheels everyone seems to go to. I like the idea of the ones that the one of you in a later post mentioned and maybe i will look for some of the more elusive JDM wheels mentioned.

Keep them comming I would love to see everyones likes or dislikes.

Jeff

I'm in the same boat. I just sold my 2 sets of 17's to my buddy, but they were honda offset and lug pattern...since I have like a 3" spacer/adapter that switchs from 4x114.3 to 4x100's. I also have ZG flares to fill, on stock suspension. I just got the 15" set from hell, and now I'd like to get 17's because more tire size choices available for cheap and burnable rubber. The best wheels I can think of would be watanabes...special order. Right now there are no 4 lug 17" rims on the JDMYahoo auctions that are even close to a zero offset...shollowest I found was a +16 and the rest or +25. Maybe Rota might make a specail batch if enough of us group buy them.

I have run spacers with no problems, I also have a set of Centerline wheels, that don't need spacers, but you have to like a little bling to go that route. I'd suggest shopping Centerlinewheels.com and look for their discount page. Last time I checked they had even more than before and they are very easy to deal with just call the number specifically designated on the discount wheel page, you get a live person that is very helpful.

I dont know what I'm gonna do for wheels either. I want to dragrace weekends so I cant use adapters or deep spacers because of track rules. I want to run 15 or 16" wheels. The more I hunt for something reasonable ( and for me that means CHEAP!) the more I think I'm going to try to do the cheapest swap possible to get 5 lug hubs. Z's are new to me so I'm as lost as anyone.. I agree that wheels are really the last major thing you want to do with a project so that the suspension and brakes are already what you want...

Wish I could be of more help. I really don't know what's available, I just ran across my wheels, liked them and picked them up. IF i ever buy another set, I was really impressed w/ that RAY'S Engineering video posted a while back, dunno what offsets they offer but it seems like wheel MFG's could leave a few sets blanked for this type of situation, that way they can cut you the bolt pattern needed. Have you contaced anyone about that?

I think barring a Kodiak or CCW or other custom race type wheel, these have got to be my favorites that I've seen. I like the 16's linked to in the thread better than the 17's, for what that is worth. Pretty sweet looking, lightweight wheels...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=107672

You can forget about those centerlines being "affordable" anymore... Just got off the phone with them... They'll run you $379 per wheel plus shipping now... Can't believe their price jump on these wheels. :roll:

Mike :cool:

My wife might like the teddy bears, however I dont think they would look right under her 05 Magnum RT..

Brakes are taken care of. Very large 4piston and disc conversion in the back. Just a little history for the people that don't know my project. I am trying to the best of my ability not to skimp on any aspect of this car. Let's just say that I could have bought a nice German car for what I have spent of this so far.. Don't tell the wife.

It's not that I am looking for ultra-modern wheels just something other than the norm or the standard 3 piece wheels everyone seems to go to. I like the idea of the ones that the one of you in a later post mentioned and maybe i will look for some of the more elusive JDM wheels mentioned.

Keep them comming I would love to see everyones likes or dislikes.

Jeff

Jeff, I can't recall you mentioning your cars paint color choice......this can have a big effect on your wheel choice pleasing your eye. I know when I was swapping wheels with my Green Turbo car....I thought I'd never be happy. I put on several types and sizes until finding what fit the look.

Its DEFINATLY a personal task."To each his own"....as the saying goes.

I do picture your car looking sexy with a set of Watanabe 16" 2-piece wheels from Japan. Also known as RS-8's since they were bought out. SSR I believe ?

Anyway....you could procure a used set for 450-700.00$ and then disasemble and polish the lips (annodized currently) then sand blast and respray the centers in a color of your choice . Usually they are a dark grey single stage that lifts and crazes with Japans salt air.

The 16's are pretty common......but you will need a slight spacer with their offset, although they are 4-bolt on our bolt centers.(stock that is)....mine is 5-lug these days.....and runs 17" Veilsides.

Best of luck.........Vinny

Guest Aguyandaredhead

Long time no speak stranger.

It is going to be a charcoal metalic with a tinted clear. And Yes I have been giving serious thought to the RS-8's I am looking for a nice polished lip and a painted to match center. I am not to big on the all polished styles. I am so glad to be putting this car back together I just don't want to get into a rush and make a rash decision.

SO what have you been up to? Hows that car of yours comming along? Hows the Job ect?

Shoot me an email.

So... I guess what we have here is a wide selection...

The wheel of choice for modern Hybrid Z-cars is going to be a 17" dia. to clear aftermarket brake kits...

That said... Street cars probably don't need more than an 8" wide wheel... Hybrids that are running on track need a 10" wide wheel... especially since this 17x10" wheel has a lot of tire options at a reasonable price.. and there are lots of used race tires in this size...

Considering most of the Hybrid drivers are using 3 times the horsepower of most S-30 cars... We have some unique needs....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Steel wheels are hard to find and end up being custom jobs when they are made in 17x10 sizes... There are a few... I'll add link here...

Most of the cast aluminum wheels are limited to 8" wide... so that pisses away a whole lot of the cheaper selections for track drivers... A lot of those affordable wheels' prices go through the roof when you request a custom width... but they are available... I'll post a link here...

Then there are the high dollar custom race wheels... like I said.. Custom=High $$$$ ... Usually to the tune of $2500 or more a set... I have been through long lists with a variety of options and detailed specs on literally hundreds of wheels that ALL COST AT LEAST $750 EACH... damn!!!! just for fun I have put together custom specs just to have $1500 each quoted... I was just being a pain in the ass for that quote... Gimme a break $6000 set of freaking wheels...

Here is a pic of me balancing some freaknut$$$$$$$ wheels @ Sebring last January... Winterfest PBOC event...

Thatsmeonthebalancer.jpg

They go on THIS car... 200+ MPH Daytona Prototype... the guy brought it out for test and tune.. and to scare the shiat out of the Porsche GT cup drivers... lol... He DID!!!

IbalancedhistiresatPBOCinjan.jpg

Here is another shot of some GT CUP bling... These were just reassembled and painted with a couple of rattle bombs that morning... damaged the day before...

Moneyshot.jpg

Go to http://www.centerlinewheels.com/wheel_deals.php?flag=1 and search on 4x4.5 bolt pattern, you'll see a nice selection of wheels.

Again, Centerforce has gone NUTS with their wheel prices... NOT worth it in my opinion. $379 per wheel is rapidly approaching the cost of Kodiaks or CCWs... Why spend that kinda coin on a centerline? Yes they have a fair selection. But the quality isn't there when compared to CCW or Kodiaks. If I was able to get them in a $200-250 per wheel pricepoint, MAYBE I'd consider it... But $379? They need to get off the crack pipe. JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS! :lmao:

Mike :cool:

Here ya go.....

This is stooopid money for wheels...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-PANASPORT-16-RIMS-240SX-DATSUN-510-240Z-280Z-AE86_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43955QQihZ004QQitemZ140061756986QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Panasport RS-8s... 16x12"... $3500 USED... although I think this seller has his head up his ass... It was my understanding that they were available new for less than that...