HybridZ

240Z AWD Conversion

Nemesis280zx

I wanted some in sight on a future project. 240Z powered by an RB26 Skyline motor, now heres the question... how do you make this car AWD drive with the suspension and driveline of a AWD Skyline? What parts would we have to get to make it all wheel drive? Money is not an issue. Let me know what you guys think about this project and process. Thanks.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I inquired about this before, and someone had posted that you need to use the entire GTR floorpan and both subframes to get the benefits of the AWD unit, as the subframes have the proper suspension links to take advantage of the advanced 4wd system on the GTR drivetrain.

I'm sure there are ways to recalibrate it like the japanese tuners do when extending or making frame mods, but I'm not sure what those require.

=/

Raff

I wanted some in sight on a future project. 240Z powered by an RB26 Skyline motor, now heres the question... how do you make this car AWD drive with the suspension and driveline of a AWD Skyline? What parts would we have to get to make it all wheel drive? Money is not an issue. Let me know what you guys think about this project and process. Thanks.

Its already been done...Ive seen the pic here on HYBRIDZ. I think it was out of Japan. I believe the chassis was a little too long and the IC was sticking out of the front of the car. Cool idea nevertheless...

Guest TeamNissan
I have often thought that a gts-4 drivetrain might work out a little nicer since it is more narrow than the GTR.

I agree

I also think its above the head of anyone who really has to ask whats needed to do this mod. It has been done, 240z's, 240sx's, 300zx's etc have all had it done. Not by people in thier garages though lol.

Not just the mechanics of the set up have to be done right to recieve the awd gains either, you also need to wire the awd system up.

I'm sure it could be done by one person in their garage. The question is what kinda special person would it take to A) Have the engineering experience B) The time to learn about everything C) The time to do it all D) The money to complete said project E) The insanity to do so.

Did I get it all?

Obviously it can be done. Done by a hobbyist? No. Done by a dedicated hobbyist? Maybe. Done RIGHT by a dedicated hobbyist? Pretty much out of the question.

But I won't say it can't be done. Maybe that nut job is out there somewhere.

Guest TeamNissan
I'm sure it could be done by one person in their garage. The question is what kinda special person would it take to A) Have the engineering experience B) The time to learn about everything C) The time to do it all D) The money to complete said project E) The insanity to do so.

Did I get it all?

Obviously it can be done. Done by a hobbyist? No. Done by a dedicated hobbyist? Maybe. Done RIGHT by a dedicated hobbyist? Pretty much out of the question.

But I won't say it can't be done. Maybe that nut job is out there

somewhere.

I think you covered it all lol. I'm sure hes out there but I dont think hes in here :-P.

• 1 month later...

Also, its not ideal for a track car since the engine is located so far forward for the platform. drag car yes though. there isn't any real way to move the engine back more inless you re-engineer the whole front drivetrain. the front diff is located inside the oilpan IIRC.

Even the GT-Rs have problems from understeering because of the weight. now imagine what it would be like if you put it on a lighter chassis with the similar drivetrain location.

Before I was thinking of a suby setup but there engines crap out pretty easilyh compared to others. That, and I'm lazy :mrgreen:

you have to fabricate..bottom line. imsure the whole front end..if not the whole car is basically tube framed.. that how we are doing it.. and thats how those guys in japan did it. you can set the motor wherever you want. we are trying to keep it as close to a gtr as possible.. he probably spent a lot more time figuring out how to make his geometries correct. AWD is fun as hell... thats for sure.. but anyway you cut it.. making a awd z is NOT going to just go together.. its going to take a lot of fab work.. in fact i cant see how you can do it at all without atleast tube framing the whole front end.

What about cutting and rewelding the oil pan in order to move the front axel pass through forward further? You could move the motor to wherever you wanted that way.

But then you would probable end up with front diff lubrication problems with it being further from the sump.