HybridZ

240Z AWD Conversion

Nemesis280zx

you have to fabricate..bottom line. imsure the whole front end..if not the whole car is basically tube framed.. that how we are doing it.. and thats how those guys in japan did it. you can set the motor wherever you want. we are trying to keep it as close to a gtr as possible.. he probably spent a lot more time figuring out how to make his geometries correct. AWD is fun as hell... thats for sure.. but anyway you cut it.. making a awd z is NOT going to just go together.. its going to take a lot of fab work.. in fact i cant see how you can do it at all without atleast tube framing the whole front end.

That is not the way the "guys " in japan did it. The "Guys" in japan basically mated the entire subframe from a GTR strut towers and all into a s30 chassis. no tube chassis there, basically spliced it in. there is a website out there showing how they did but im too lazy to find it as once i saw the work involved i really never looked at it again.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is not the way the "guys " in japan did it. The "Guys" in japan basically mated the entire subframe from a GTR strut towers and all into a s30 chassis. no tube chassis there, basically spliced it in. there is a website out there showing how they did but im too lazy to find it as once i saw the work involved i really never looked at it again.

Thats what I was thinking looking at the Nakamura Z pic. I couldn't tell deffinitely if it was, so I didn't want to say anything.

BTW stony hows the car coming along?

I wonder what the wheelbase was after that swap.

ok, who here as looked much at the subi engine bay? First time I comapred one of the older WRX 2 doors to my ZX side by side I though "hmm... well that'd be way more work than it'd be worth".

To me the idea is mad. The flat engines are insanely wide and those cars are designed with super square/wide engine bays, not long/narrow like the Z cars. It might fit in a Z31 though. Should be even easier in a Z32, but there is't much point imo. The subi motors don't have much cheep potential, wich is unfortunate because they're great motors.

I have contemplated an AWD Z on and off over the years. Im thinking of aquiring the parts to make it work after I get my DOHC head done.

I guess AWD would be a bit of a mis-nomer, 4WD is what it would be. Get one of the seperate transfer cases off of an early 80s 4wd nissan truck (cant remember what years exactly, but soe of them came with a seperate transfer case), then make a custom front crossmember that would include a diff mount and allow the axels to pass through to each front hub. I think youd have to notch the frame rails and re-strengthen the area at the bottom of the strut towers to get some room for suspension travvel and front axels, and the floor pan might be a bit of a hassle to clear the transfer case and driveshaft, but it sounds do-able.

GTiR with an SR20 would definately be my choice.

light weight, good power, revs high too, and AWD.

sounds like a good combo to me =)

Ok gtir is awd but in a fwd configuration, that is engine is sideways in the engine compartment. without even measuring i d say that setup would be just as hard as the gtr setup. Show me unsubscribed