HybridZ

What's everyones occupation here at HybridZ!?

Guest caseyjones

Another ME here...

I got my BSME from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaing (we were ranked #3 and MIT was ranked #4 the year I graduated). I minored in Thermodynamics.

My first job out of school was creating computer models of heat and mass transfer simulation for solar-energy de-salination devices.

My next job was a Design Engineer working on CAD (Unigraphics). I mostly designed fixtures to inspect turbine engine castings for aerospace and IGT (Industrial Gas Turbines) mostly for GE, Rolls-Royce, Pratt & Whitney, etc. A lot of reverse engineer modeling.

Now I work at a big software company where I test FEA (Finite element analysis) software and Dynamic Simulation software. I just love it.

well, I'm underpaid for the amount of work I perform...I carry a lot of slack for the older mechanics...and my labor grade raise is still in the procesing stage... I make $27.10...whereas I should be making $28.80...and then add another 4% ontop of that next week...

But compared to other heli mechs in the profession...I make more than them...and I also suck up as much OT as possible...

so far for this year...as of last week...I've already made $19K's....but due to uncle sam and my habit of stuffing the 401K...I've only seen $11Ks of that money.

i have ran a body shop since I was 20 years old. Also have another shop on the side that my friend and I started for just about anything and everything. Have done everything from 750cc go karts to 8 sec. drag cars. Days start about 5am and end about 1130pm mon-fri. Sat at the "other" shop working on my own crap to get it out of the way. Also graduated at 20 years old with a Electronic Engineering degree (BS). All in all i need both jobs to pay school off. Once your out they want that money....bad! Also help funding my brother for a machine shop for gunsmithing.

*edit for spelling*

I run the Tech support dept, quality control dept, and do all of the brake caliper production planning for Centric Parts. I've been there for about 4 years. Some days I like it, some days I hate it. I also do auto repair on the side out of my garage, and some minor Fab work too. Hopefully some day I'll have my own shop, doing everything from basic auto repair, to building cars to whatever odd jobs I can get. I hate doing the same thing every day, gets boring. I like to take on new challenges becuase most of the time they are a learning experience.

• 3 weeks later...

another jack of all trades here, well, first off full time college student studying international business administration, done every job possible from a lifeguard, to a sushi chef, to a telemarketer, to my very semi-somewhat lovely job as a honda/acura mechanic at a small shop, i also run the shop/office sometimes when the boss is gone, but all that means is i roll my Z into the big bay and get paid to work on it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all , this would be my first post .........

I am a Professional Oilfield Diver/Commercial Diver working in the Gulf of Mexico. So I'm not around alot . I will be picking it up a 280z here shortly(as soon as I'm home long enough to pick it up). I'm buying it with the soul purpose of a 2jz-gte swap. Great forum & look forward to talking to ya'll !

Hello all , this would be my first post .........

I am a Professional Oilfield Diver/Commercial Diver working in the Gulf of Mexico. So I'm not around alot . I will be picking it up a 280z here shortly(as soon as I'm home long enough to pick it up). I'm buying it with the soul purpose of a 2jz-gte swap. Great forum & look forward to talking to ya'll !

Welcome! Gotta ask how you got involved in that occupation... it is certainly unique.

Well ..... I enlisted in the USMC right out of high school.... I got out into the real world & tried to go into EP(executive protection) work ....didn't fit in there ..... as I hate classical music & thats all that seemed to be playing in the limo's ....

I guess if I could put it simply , I was out of place once I got out of the Corps . I worked here in Houston over @ Fountain Firearms for about 3 years . Tried construction , Toyota & Nissan parts departments , built & rebuit Turbos for a while , but I never really fit in anywhere ...

I always excelled at what I did though.

One day I was talking to this kiddo that had just graduated high school & he started telling me about this school called "The Ocean Corperation"

& how he & the rest of his class had already been hired before they even graduated ......

So I went up to the school to have a looksee & ended up signing up for school. I graduated about 5 months before the two major hurricanes that hit the gulf coast ($CHA-CHING$). The rest is history !!

Thanks for the warm welcome to the board !